Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Pussification of Football

14,554 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Captain Awesome
wasabi1787
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/super-bowl-champion-antwaan-randle-el-says-he-regrets-playing-football

Another liberal who doesn't know anything about the sport trying to ruin everything
Ag4coal
Not trying to downplay his situation but a few points:

A. I'm 27 with 0 concussions and can't remember basic crap.

B. If he really thinks he can live to 120 just by not playing football, his point is invalid
bdgol07
AG
I don't think he said anything out of line. He has problems and they're directly related to big hits to the head.

Baseball has guaranteed contracts and if he had the chance to play longer, make the same or close to the same amount and end up healthier, why shouldn't he say what he said?
bdgol07
AG
quote:

B. If he really thinks he can live to 120 just by not playing football, his point is invalid

The live to 120 was a quote by someone else's....Former Pro Bowler and two-time Super Bowl champion Frank Lewis said that he believes he could live to 120 if not for his football career.
millertime40
quote:
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/super-bowl-champion-antwaan-randle-el-says-he-regrets-playing-football

Another liberal who doesn't know anything about the sport trying to ruin everything
You have never had concussion problems have you ???
Bone6
...This has to be addressed. Those of you who are saying "ah it's just pussification/liberals" are part of a potential mindset that will end up killing the sport.

We have to figure out a way to keep it a physical game while also protecting against head injuries.
wasabi1787
AG
quote:
quote:

You have never had concussion problems have you ???

You have trouble recognizing tongue in cheek
PascalsWager
AG
Back in my day people willingly gave up their quality of life and life expectancy for my entertainment. That's when men were real men.
Czechs Out 03
AG
quote:
could go back, I wouldn't [play football]. I would play baseball. I got drafted by the Cubs in the 14th round, but I didn't play baseball because of my parents Don't get me wrong, I love the game of football. But right now, I could still be playing baseball."

...or you could have banged around the minors for a few years, never hitting over .210, or getting above high A. Been cut after your first contract expired, and would now be working as a private hitting instructor for some "select" kids while you work the phones trying to get another spring training invite. (Edit) ...and wishing you would have stuck with football.

wasabi1787
AG
quote:
quote:
could go back, I wouldn't [play football]. I would play baseball. I got drafted by the Cubs in the 14th round, but I didn't play baseball because of my parents Don't get me wrong, I love the game of football. But right now, I could still be playing baseball."

...or you could have banged around the minors for a few years, never hitting over .210, or getting above high A. Been cut after your first contract expired, and would now be working as a private hitting instructor for some "select" kids while you work the phones trying to get another spring training invite.

You totally missed the point.

He's saying he'd take irrelevance in baseball while be healthy over being a massive success in football, considering how his health is now
wasabi1787
AG
quote:
Back in my day people willingly gave up their quality of life and life expectancy for my entertainment. That's when men were real men.

Tell that to Junior Seau's family
JaxDad
AG
these athletes didn't seem to have a problem cashing their 6 and 7 figure paychecks.
Old Sarge
AG
At the age of Jr. High, the parents control the availability of football if the boy wants to play.

At the age of high school, the same, but he clock to learn the game is running out to learn the game. Serious discussions need to take place within the family. Pros/Cons.

If a young MAN can have what it takes to play in college, he should make an educated CHOICE to do what he wants with does with his body.

If the young MAN has a chance to play a dangerous, violent game for a living, knowing the potential repercussions (head issues, crippling injuries, death) and get paid a tremendous amount (see generational wealth in some cases), with a specialized healthcare industry dedicated to it, and takes that chance, that is HIS CHOICE.
Why should we dictate he should not, or change the rules of the game, as defined by the rules, he chose to play.

My Dad had an opportunity to play the NFL in the late 50/s/ early 60's. He took into fact that they did not have the insureance/care for debilitating injuries into effect and chose to go the coaching route. He wanted to start with life and prepare for a retirement a long way off.

If the players of the NFL are *****ing about having long term effects of playing the game at that level, then they ought to fall back on their degree.....oh wait, ....did they get one? They made that choice not to complete one if they left early.

Basically, coal miners have a short life span, but no one is worrying over them and their choice are they? And they don't make millions. And their work makes your microwave work/heat your house/etc.

Cry me a river for the NFL guys.
BowhunterAg83
AG
quote:
quote:

The live to 120 was a quote by someone else's....Former Pro Bowler and two-time Super Bowl champion Frank Lewis said that he believes he could live to 120 if not for his football career.
So from 90-120 he lays in bed and chits himself. Think I would rather catch a concussion or 40 ft wave on the North Shore.
Joe Exotic
AG
quote:
...This has to be addressed. Those of you who are saying "ah it's just pussification/liberals" are part of a potential mindset that will end up killing the sport.

We have to figure out a way to keep it a physical game while also protecting against head injuries.

If you neuter the sport with a vagina mindset what's the point in keeping it around? At some point you'll just have basketball on a 100 yard court with slightly harder fouls.
TREKSTAR
until someone drafted in the first 3 rounds of the nfl draft doesn't sign his contract, because he is afraid of his quality of life after football. they can all shut the hell up, as far as I am concern.
C_Raz98
AG
Ask Greg Hill which sport he should have played.
FriscoKid
AG
quote:

Take away the helmet.
marble rye
AG
And on top of it all, Will Smith was snubbed for an Oscar nom.
Dro07
AG
They get paid a **** ton of money. More money equals more risk right?
WestTXCoyote
AG
What type of disability insurance do typical NFL players have? For example, if a first round draft pick gets injured in his first season, and can no longer play (NFL career over), how much does he get paid and for how long?
Statistically, there are a lot more higher risk jobs with a lot less financial incentive (e.g., construction worker, logging, etc.).
BBQ4Me
AG
Obama invented concussions and global warming to keep real men down.
RARay
AG
quote:

Basically, coal miners have a short life span, but no one is worrying over them and their choice are they? And they don't make millions. And their work makes your microwave work/heat your house/etc.

At least eight federal laws for protecting the health of coal miners, administered by a dedicated agency: http://www.msha.gov/mshainfo/mshainf2.htm
aTm2004
AG
One made in 30 minutes more than the other made in a year.

Who do you think has the better quality of life now?

schmellba99
AG
How many of these players willingly donate some of their paycheck to research into concussions? Or do they just complain about it and then point the finger at somebody else? (serious question, I don't know)

Until current and former players become very proactive about the issue and very involved in the issue - it is hard to have a lot of sympathy IMO for them. They, generally speaking, get paid a lot of money, the dangers are more than well documented and most of them seem to have little issue taking the risks because of the rewards associated with the game.

At this point, to me, this is kind of like smoking - you don't get to ***** about cancer if you smoke anymore because if you didn't know that it was harmful, you are kind of an idiot.
Post removed:
by user
Joe Exotic
AG
Seems like it could all be fixed with a waiver of liability when you sign a contract. Basically like swim at your own risk.
Spotted Ag
AG
Boo ****ing hoo Randle El. You made MILLIONS playing a damn game. Cry me a damn river about would of could of should of.

Football is a contact sport. They are modern gladiators. What? You never considered that weekly trauma to your body would have negative consequences? You still cashed those checks though, didn't you?
superunknown
AG
wait so how do we know he's a liberal? is it because he said something you don't like? maybe I didn't read the right article.
Ag4coal
quote:
wait so how do we know he's a liberal? is it because he said something you don't like? maybe I didn't read the right article.

OP was being sarcastic.

HTH
agnerd
AG
quote:
I didn't play baseball because of my parents
So how is it the NFL's fault that he had, in his opinion, bad parents? Has he dedicated every dollar he was paid playing football towards causes to keep kids from playing football? Forgive me if I don't care that he is sad he's having to deal with the consequences of his poor choices.
powerbiscuit
Every pro player is aware of the consequences, yet they keep coming back for the money. Just as any of us would who had the ability.
heddy Lamarr
AG
Statistically the most dangerous (as defined by serious injury or death by number of participants) is cheerleading, that's why A&M doesn't have cheerleaders and I stand in support of that decision...

No seriously - its cheerleading
Ag4coal
quote:
Statistically the most dangerous (as defined by serious injury or death by number of participants) is cheerleading, that's why A&M doesn't have cheerleaders and I stand in support of that decision...

No seriously - its cheerleading

Very true.
8T2
quote:
You are a football neocon.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.