Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Cain Hall demolition

46,141 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by RINO Safari
AgCat93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm told Cain Hall has been demolished. Did any of our Johnny-on-the-spot reporters (McGibblets, Scotch, or someone else) get photos? Sad to hear this but the building was getting long in the tooth.
fireinthehole
Gonna build an on campus hotel/convention center.
spieg12
AG
Not nearly as good views as kyle field demo. Opaque fence a long ways around that whole area.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I rarely get down to campus and when I do, I just check in the MSC bookstore or go to a game. When did Cain stop being the athletic dorm?
BTKAG97
AG

quote:
When did Cain stop being the athletic dorm?

Cain Hall was converted in 2004 for residence life administrative offices.

October 11, 2014: The Eagle article discussing the change.

quote:
A request for proposals submitted by the Texas A&M System Business Development office this week would demolish 40-year-old Cain Hall to make way for a full-service 150-bed hotel and conference center, complete with a 1,000 space parking facility. A pedestrian bridge over Joe Routt Boulevard will connect the proposed facility to the Kyle Field site.
September 4, 2015: A more recent The Eagle article.
spieg12
AG
Nm
Fitch
AG
From two weeks ago:

W
AG
it needed to go. Not a good use of the space anymore
malenurse
AG
Sucks getting old. I used to ride my bike past Cocaine Hall every morning. The collection of Firebirds, Camaros, Cutlasses and Grand Prix in that parking lot was epic.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Sucks getting old. I used to ride my bike past Cocaine Hall every morning. The collection of Firebirds, Camaros, Cutlasses and Grand Prix in that parking lot was epic.
LOL.

Sad, but true. Good ol' SWC days.
milner79
Recommendation: get over there and grab a handful of rubble on the chance that someday technology will be invented that allows walls to talk.
Thudman
quote:
Recommendation: get over there and grab a handful of rubble on the chance that someday technology will be invented that allows walls to talk.
Excuse me stewardess, I speak Jive.
Fleen
Lived there '93-'95, might actually run by there and snag some rubble for some buddies...
AgCat93
AG
A-wing (wing closest to Kyle) is gone now.
STX Ag
AG
Mcgibblets got permanently perma banned.
iPanic
AG
Link?
pasquale
AG
quote:

Say it ain't so?
FightingAggie
AG
quote:
For?
texastexastexas
AG
The new building will be a hotel/parking garage/offices for reslife and transportation services. The garage is scheduled to be nearly complete before the first game of 2016. I should have an office in there by 2017.
Waterski02
AG
RIP Cain

I'm sure my one shoe was still in the ceiling of A113 when they tore her down.

Agnzona
quote:
Funny you mentioned that. I went from 79-82 and the number of completely identical Firebirds and Cameros was crazy, down to the exact same colors and pin stripping. i lived off campus and the bus used to drop us off on Weldon walked through that parking lot on the way to the MSC everyday. We all assumed they were "Loaners" from a dealer for a Job the players never actually had to do anything, Didn't think much of it at the time, they certainly were not trying to hide anything.
Builder93
AG
The university has spent millions of dollars renovating parts of that complex in the last couple of years. Also spent gobs of money waterproofing the wall facing Kyle Field. Excellent use of money.
VanZandt92
quote:
quote:
Funny you mentioned that. I went from 79-82 and the number of completely identical Firebirds and Cameros was crazy, down to the exact same colors and pin stripping. i lived off campus and the bus used to drop us off on Weldon walked through that parking lot on the way to the MSC everyday. We all assumed they were "Loaners" from a dealer for a Job the players never actually had to do anything, Didn't think much of it at the time, they certainly were not trying to hide anything.

I loved those old cars. Lots of good memories.
AgEngineer72
AG
quote:
Lawdy lawdy, it makes you feel old?! Ought to be in my shoes- you're lamenting the demolition of a building that was built, used, and now being demo'd after I graduated & left. That was largely an empty field when I was on campus.
Spyderman
AG
I miss the Grove.
JAD AG85
AG
Ok - while reminiscing about Cain Hall, how many people remember the Burnis Simon incident while he was wearing a cast on a broken arm? Simon was like a backup RB or something like that. He apparently grabbed a sheet from a bed in Cain Hall and attacked/stole or whatever pizza from Dominos delivery guys in the dorm. I don't think he stopped to think about how easy he was to identify with the cast on his arm when reported by the Dominos employees. Well he got found out pretty quickly! Don't remember that there was ever any serious penalty imposed on him. Me and a lot of my friends just found this to be hilarious. Especially working at a bar while being a student (Lipstik and then Park Avenue) - where Burnis spent a lot of time!
Spotted Ag
AG

Lucky enough to score this.
Fleen
quote:

Lucky enough to score this.

Niiiiiice
Frok
AG
Sounds like a hotel for the rich connected Ags to stay at on football weekends. Of course they will add some side things to justify it.
Spotted Ag
AG
I've got some demo and construction pics also. Waiting to hear if they can be shared publically.
Spotted Ag
AG
quote:
Sounds like a hotel for the rich connected Ags to stay at on football weekends. Of course they will add some side things to justify it.

Bingo! Parking garage is going up first and is supposed to be done by next football season. Suffice to say, those spots will cost a pretty penny.

I think a monorail station should go on top!
Ragoo
AG
quote:

quote:
When did Cain stop being the athletic dorm?

Cain Hall was converted in 2004 for residence life administrative offices.

October 11, 2014: The Eagle article discussing the change.

quote:
A request for proposals submitted by the Texas A&M System Business Development office this week would demolish 40-year-old Cain Hall to make way for a full-service 150-bed hotel and conference center, complete with a 1,000 space parking facility. A pedestrian bridge over Joe Routt Boulevard will connect the proposed facility to the Kyle Field site.
September 4, 2015: A more recent The Eagle article.
didn't get from the article, is the hotel going to be part of a college like the campus Hilton at UH?
ag2003
AG
I believe it will be privately run
SeattleAgJr
So you are saying we have been razing Cain?
Fitch
AG
Exterior pics (i.e. anything that could be seen outside the construction fence) are fair game. If you're inside the fence taking them though, don't post.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.