Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Sherman's OL about gone

19,069 Views | 159 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Magpie
JohnnyOtter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I always felt Mike Sherman was really good at evaluating and developing O linemen. Could we be seeing the effects of him no longer involved in the O line?
TAMC11
AG
You might be on to something
njohn87
AG
rebelAg02
Yes...

Johnny and Evans wouldn't have been who they were without Sherman's O-line coaching. He said it on year 1, "We will have a good offensive line, I am pasionate about that" and it all came to a head in 2012 when Johnny routinely had 5+ seconds

I still think Sherman was our guy, just needed a new S&C coach and top notch DC, but we knew that when we hired him
gigumaggie
AG
That must have taken months if not years to come up with
Jarrin' Jay
AG
He was better at evaluating, recruiting and developing EVERY offensive position, not just OL. Sumlin and McKinney have done a terrible job at RB recruiting, and WR development is not close either. Look at Swope or EZ in their 2nd years, better than what we have now - though some of that is scheme related also. Evans played HS ball in Galveston, Sumlin didn't recruit him to UH, but Sherman knew what he could be.

I think that is a big problem right now, too much recruiting based on who dominates in HS, which is fine for Mack/Kirk/Garrett, but not for OL and RBs and WRs. That is how a spread team ends up with just 3 good WR and no RBs and a bad OL. As they weren't recruited based on what they could be developed into, IMHO.

Sherman never got enough depth on D but he built the 2012 defense with 3* recruits, and didn't get a good DC early on though Deruyter was a good get.

He inherited a trash pile with a screwed up roster but worked his a** of for us and built something, and the RC Slocum nutrition center, football performance center/weight room, and Bright expansion (though not in swag mode) were all his ideas.

EVERY starting OL on the 2012 team plays in the NFL, that is unheard of, much less 3 first round picks.

His 3rd and 4th year teams would beat the s*** out of Sumlins 3rd and 4th year teams.

I do think Sumlin is a better fit for college and recruits well at least on paper, player development and scheme are lacking.

I don't necessarily think Sherman was our guy, THE guy, not our Stoops or Saban or Meyer, but be damned sure was the right guy at the right time.

Although I don't think he should have been let go, I understand it. But the way it happened and the way he found out was totally and completely SHAMEFUL and DISGRACEFUL for our program. And yet Mike was man enough to stop walk into Matt Davis's (?) living room and close the deal to convince him and his parents that A&M was the best place for him.

His post-mortem presser, which is unusual and he didn't have to do, was epic and the mark of a good man. His graduation speech in the summer of 2011 was great.

We will never have a better man and leader of young men as our coach.

And he sure as s*** wouldn't have hired a 29 year old kid who had never been an OC and called plays to be an OC in the SEC, 3 years removed from being a graduate assistant!
wisdom
AG
Jarrin' Jay.....good post....I agree. If he had been a good game-day coach, we would probably still have him.
Goodest Poster
AG
quote:
He was better at evaluating, recruiting and developing EVERY offensive position, not just OL. Sumlin and McKinney have done a terrible job at RB recruiting, and WR development is not close either. Look at Swope or EZ in their 2nd years, better than what we have now - though some of that is scheme related also. Evans played HS ball in Galveston, Sumlin didn't recruit him to UH, but Sherman knew what he could be.

I think that is a big problem right now, too much recruiting based on who dominates in HS, which is fine for Mack/Kirk/Garrett, but not for OL and RBs and WRs. That is how a spread team ends up with just 3 good WR and no RBs and a bad OL. As they weren't recruited based on what they could be developed into, IMHO.

Sherman never got enough depth on D but he built the 2012 defense with 3* recruits, and didn't get a good DC early on though Deruyter was a good get.

He inherited a trash pile with a screwed up roster but worked his a** of for us and built something, and the RC Slocum nutrition center, football performance center/weight room, and Bright expansion (though not in swag mode) were all his ideas.

EVERY starting OL on the 2012 team plays in the NFL, that is unheard of, much less 3 first round picks.

His 3rd and 4th year teams would beat the s*** out of Sumlins 3rd and 4th year teams.

I do think Sumlin is a better fit for college and recruits well at least on paper, player development and scheme are lacking.

I don't necessarily think Sherman was our guy, THE guy, not our Stoops or Saban or Meyer, but be damned sure was the right guy at the right time.

Although I don't think he should have been let go, I understand it. But the way it happened and the way he found out was totally and completely SHAMEFUL and DISGRACEFUL for our program. And yet Mike was man enough to stop walk into Matt Davis's (?) living room and close the deal to convince him and his parents that A&M was the best place for him.

His post-mortem presser, which is unusual and he didn't have to do, was epic and the mark of a good man. His graduation speech in the summer of 2011 was great.

And he sure as s*** wouldn't have hired a 29 year old kid who had never been an OC and called plays to be an OC in the SEC, 3 years removed from being a graduate assistant!

Dam son, u got me slow clapping up in here!
kblake
quote:

SidetrackAg
AG
quote:

Man, that was damn good!
Tom Hagen
AG
I agree with most of that, but there was no excuse to lose to tu in 2011.
STX Ag
AG
Great points on player development. We've seen little to none of it on offense under Sumlin.
Texas A&M
quote:

TexAgs can be shut down for the night. Nothing is going to top that. That is the best post I've read on this board in quite a while.
Post removed:
by user
Houston Summit
AG
quote:

AngryAG
quote:
I agree with most of that, but there was no excuse to lose to tu in 2011.

Emotional reactions to a single game tend to result in bad decisions.
Post removed:
by user
AngryAG
But Sherman did not have:

Jack Leatherman
You guys are just trying to changing history. Other than the OL Sherman was a horrible hire. In 4 years he had 1 winning season! Sherman lost to Arkansas st, and a 4 win Baylor team that first year. He went 6-6 his last year and that was with a first round NFL QB. Also if he knew Evans was going to be good why was he redshirted so he only played 2 years before going to the NFL.

2008 Arkansas St (4-3 Sunbelt / 6-6)
TexasAgs1
quote:

Now I kind of feel guilty for all the bad **** I screamed at him during all those second half collapses.
AggieNiebs
AG
and the saddest part is I have no doubt that OP honestly thought he was starting the thread of the century with his out of nowhere and 100% original and deeply intense thought.

poor guy
Ags77
AG
Mike was 25-25. That's right. 25-25. That's why he was fired. Period. Btw, I agree, he is a good man. But his record, 25-25.
Red Skye
AG
quote:
Mike was 25-25. That's right. 25-25. That's why he was fired. Period. Btw, I agree, he is a good man. But his record, 25-25.
In the BigCluster****, no less.
Philip J Fry
AG
Great at the evaluating talent. Terrible at instilling a winning attitude.
vonmazor
quote:

Well said.
Bryanisbest
AG
quote:
quote:

Well said.
wasabi1787
AG
quote:

That must've taken an hour to type with a phone. Sheesh.

100% agree though
SEC Champs
AG
Agree with Jay 100%

To add to that, Sherm coached during arguably the best/toughest years of the Big 12, 2007-2010. Out recruiting was terrible thanks to Fran's tenure and the 'sips National Championship.

I believe we underestimated how well Sherman recognized raw talent and potential for the pros when we hired Sumlin. He developed the no. 1 O-line that gave JFF 8 seconds to throw/run the ball and produced 5 consecutive 1st rounders. He also had the foresight to covert Tannehill to our best WR and back to QB, create the Joker for Von Miller, and give a b-ball player named Mike Evans the shot to be one of the most dominant SE in the SEC.

Some of our recent woes have been because we can't develop our receivers, lineman, etc. The most frustrating thing with Sherm was that he couldn't finish the big games, even after leading by double digits.
AG
Is anyone ever going to post tits again?
Kemo Sabe
Fired in Green Bay, fired in college station, fired in Miami. But yes he was a good guy and I wish him well.

VikingNik
AG
Sherman was a great Sunday to Friday coach. Saturdays were his kryptonite. He called the plays, too, so there were no excuses or scapegoats for the epic second half collapses each and every game.
Silent For Too Long
I'm actually a pretty big Sherm supporter; I think he did a lot to get this program back on track after the debacle Fran left it in, but there is some serious revisionist history going on here:

quote:
This is complete and utter bull ****. It's like some of you have completely blocked out how those teams actually fared against much, much easier competition.
kekumbas
The fact that someone just said Sherman's 3rd and 4th year teams could beat the **** out of sumlins 3rd and 4th year teams, and tons of people blue starred it has to mean this thread is some kind of Sherman family reunion right? Good god
aggiebutterfly
AG
quote:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.