Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Do you resent Johnny for not staying?

12,706 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Loyalty
JerryHelper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let's get real. In the dead of the night, when no one is listening, do you slightly resent Johnny for leaving? He said all the right things about wanting to be the greatest college player ever and about bringing a natty to A&M. But as with a lot of Johnny's life, he said one thing and acted differently. As much as we love him, is there a slight part of you that feels like he left something on the table by leaving?
mdanyc03
AG
If you "resent" somebody for leaving early to be a first round draft pick, there is something wrong with you.
MicheIangeIo
AG
I don't resent him as much as he probably resents himself.
Motel California
S
This guy might be trolling
Motel California
S
I resent the OP
mdanyc03
AG
And I highly disagree with the last part of your statement. He never at all hinted or implied that he was going to stay beyond his third year. Anybody with a brain knew from before the season started that it would be his last.
JerryHelper
quote:
And I highly disagree with the last part of your statement. He never at all hinted or implied that he was going to stay beyond his third year. Anybody with a brain knew from before the season started that it would be his last.

This is an absolute falsehood. Revisionist history. Watch Texags dragonslayer. Read Andy staples SI articles. Johnny absolutely acted like being the greatest fbs player and bringing a natty to A&M was what mattered most to him. That clearly wasn't true and it kind of sucks.
greg.w.h
AG
Nah. Who cares?
HowdyAgs03
AG
Resent? No. Do I think he made the wrong decision? Yes.
shano0603
AG
OP sucks
Indignitas
AG
If you like this thread, you should go on youtube and look at some of the videos where Ann Coulter visits The View. In those videos, the nonsense-dB per second-necessity (a common figure of merit for discussions like these) is simply off the charts.
Slwdsm
I resent the national media that made it impossible for him to stay.

It would have been a train wreck if he stayed in college another year... Really wasn't any choice.
BMX Bandit
I resent myself for opening this thread.
Yell Practice
A lot of people advised him to stay because he was not ready for the pros yet.
AggieBiker
AG
quote:
quote:

This is an absolute falsehood. Revisionist history. Watch Texags dragonslayer. Read Andy staples SI articles. Johnny absolutely acted like being the greatest fbs player and bringing a natty to A&M was what mattered most to him. That clearly wasn't true and it kind of sucks.
Watch Nick Saban's interview with the game analyst on their set after the 2013 game. He say's something to the effect of, "I'm glad I will never have to face that guy again." I believe he knew factually that Johnny was going pro at the end of the season. And I believe that the majority of insiders in cfb knew that as well. The rest of us knew it to if you paid any attention to the NCAA investigation of Johnny and the negotiations that took place there. As it was said above, "Anybody with a brain knew..."
BMX Bandit
I like how he calls it "Absolutely false" but then never bothers to post any information where JFF said he would stay all 4 years.
mdanyc03
AG
quote:
quote:

I guess you hear things how you want to hear them. I never once entertained the remote possibility that Johnny would be back for his Junior season. I accepted that before the season, enjoyed every game he played in 2013, and didn't feel the least bit of resentment when he officially declared.

If you deluded yourself into thinking there was a chance he was coming back and were disappointed that he didn't, that is about you. Not Johnny. Nobody who knew anything thought there was a chance he was coming back.
Space91
AG
quote:
Let's get real. In the dead of the night, when no one is listening, do you slightly resent Johnny for leaving? He said all the right things about wanting to be the greatest college player ever and about bringing a natty to A&M. But as with a lot of Johnny's life, he said one thing and acted differently. As much as we love him, is there a slight part of you that feels like he left something on the table by leaving?

I don't think of Johnny "in the dead of the nigh"...
Al Bula
AG
MidnightMugdown
I do a little bit. Johnny made a great impact on this school but many of his choices have disappointed me. Has been caught doing many immature things by the media. Left earlier than he should. And he nearly never comes back to A&M unless it's to get recognized for awards or sign $150 autographs. He's not a dedicated Aggie in my opinion, we simply were a launching pad to get him money. Huge contrast to Mike Evans who has come back a few times to play basketball at the rec and hang out around campus. Amazing that the man who balled out his first year in the NFL is able to remember his roots and the man who absolutely failed to accomplish anything believes we're still just a revenue stream for him. I hope Johnny has a change of heart at some point. He was a very special player to watch and could've made an even larger impact on this school with the right character.
SJEAg
AG
No, because I expected it. And we wouldn't have been a contender in 14 anyway with that defense. I sure wish we had him this year, but that was always fantasyland.
MidnightMugdown
May not have contended for a title but hard to imagine him not making a difference and giving us a win over Mizzou and LSU. Would've put us at 10-3 and would've won more recruits. If he stayed and was playing this season, I would think we would be a favorite to make the playoff this year.
Post removed:
by user
carbon copy
You go to college to prepare yourself for your future vocation. For most of us, that requires at least four years. For some, as in football or basketball players, time spent in college may only require a year or two. We all wish the studs would stay longer for selfish reasons, but today's market dictates they come out early and make the big bucks.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I don't resent him for his choice. His life, his career, his choice.

I do believe he was not ready to make the leap to the NFL. I am glad that he played for the Aggies, but I don't really give a crap about him now. I do hope he finds some success in the league but I am not ever going to be rooting for a team just because he happens to be on the roster.
VikingNik
AG
I don't think A&M or Johnny would have survived the scrutiny. Everyone wanted a piece of him. I wish he would have stayed but it was likely impossible. Maybe it was an understood stipulation of his half game suspension...
DayAg!
S
At the end of the day, everyone is selfish. He did what most on here would do, myself probably included. But the media and the circus that surrounded him didnt help in anyway. Everybody wanted a piece of him. Everybody. Why, because he drove ratings on everything he was mentioned on. I believe he wanted to escape some of the scrutiny that only college athletes are under. He had everyone and their dogs telling him what he should and shouldnt do.

I think he was relieved when he left. He probably felt responsible for his actions on the sole basis of not wanting things to come back on the university. So he bailed and probably doesnt look back. He got some bank. But only time will tell what is overall legacy with be in the end.
rcb05
AG
Read this. You deserve this.

MaroonGoons2020
AG
I resent rookie tsip trolls.
usmcbrooks
quote:

The Agly Duckling
I do not resent Johnny for not staying. One bit. He did what he felt he needed to do, and part of that included giving us 3 years of his educational experience and 2 years playing great football. Would love to get 2 such years from all our players in every sport.
tford12
AG
Do I (selfishly) wish we could have gotten another 1 or 2 years of him in Aggieland? Yes.

Do I resent Johnny for leaving to be a first round pick? Not at all. Not one bit.
Bottlehead90
AG
No

Just happy JFF played for us instead of against us

Goat
stantxag
AG
I resent that Manti Te'o was on the same stage as Johnny and that other guy for the Heisman. Other than that, I'm good.
jrdaustin
AG
In a word.... No.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.