Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Myles SI Article

4 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Tramp78
JerryHelper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Watched the Auburn game the other day. It's a cryin' shame the way they were holding that man with no flags thrown. The 6'10" LT they had was doing everything but taking his knee out a la Karate Kid. I saw one play where he had Myles shoulder pads in the 'horsecollar' fashion, and Myles was dragging him to the QB!

Can't wait to see how the refs will bone us against auburn this year. A tradition like no other
schwack schwack
AG
Enjoyed the read.
A Person
AG
Viz is probably one of the toughest majors at A&M
Tamu_mgm
AG
quote:
Viz is probably one of the toughest majors at A&M
I call bs.
Tramp78
AG
Regarding Viz, I will agree with the person who said it is one of the hardest majors at A&M. And honestly it isn't even close. I say this because my son is a graduate student and instructor in the Vis Lab and has his BS in Viz.

First off you are in the College of Architecture so you will be spending hundreds of hours in studio. One week he pulled five all nighters in a row. And he wasn't the only one. Over the last seven years I have had frequent Skype sessions with him at all hours of the day or night and all but a handful were in the studio or lab. 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Most holidays are spent in the lab.

I remember going to an Aggie Mom's meeting prior to his freshman year. Lots of people kept asking him if he was going to go into the Corps. Every time he said, "I'm in Architecture/Viz" they would nod, say, "Oh" and walk away. It was weird. But they knew at that time the two didn't work together. The Corps of Cadets finally created a special unit (A-2) that is specifically for Architecture and Viz majors that gives them the free time required to spend it in the studios. Prior to A-2, the Corps folks were pretty much out of luck. This year's incoming class of Viz majors only has four Corps members.

The degree is a Bachelor of Science so you are taking Physics, two semesters of Calculus and two semesters of high level programming. Many people transfer out of Viz into other majors, quite a few transfer into engineering. It's easier. Certainly less time consuming. In seven years my son has made it to one football game. That was the first game of his freshman year. Every game after that one was skipped because he was too busy in the studio and he wasn't there by himself. Common saying in the lab were, "You can have a life or you can graduate" or "We can always sleep later."

As far as the Viz Lab, getting in is harder than we thought. They only let in about 20-30 a year. Depends on how many graduate the prior year. Only a third of those will be from the Viz undergrads. The rest are from other Aggie undergraduate programs (they get some from Computer Science) and other schools around the country and world. Getting into the Viz undergrad program is easy if you are a high school top 10%. Unlike Texas that admits you to the University but then stack ranks you prior to admission into the College of Architecture, A&M puts you into the College of your choice when you are admitted. The top 10% folks usually completely fill the ranks because they are admitted as high school juniors.

Anyway, this is way more info than anyone here is interested in about Viz. Especially in a football thread. I expect my son will get his Masters next May. He is already working pretty much full time at an educational game startup company that is backed by IBM and several textbook companies. It has been a long hard slog but he loves it.
Jack Cheese
AG
Dang, do viz majors start at $200K or something?
Tramp78
AG
The untold secret is Viz Majors don't get hired that much. The undergrads either find jobs in art departments or go to grad school like the Viz Lab. That industry is all about your work. Your demo reel. Your grades are meaningless. What have you done and what you do takes lots and lots of time. A 30 second animation can take one person all semester working 20 hours a day. A team of six can do it in ten weeks. Want to get good? Do a lot of them. Best bet is to get people from the graduate Viz Lab group when they have at least three more years on top of the four undergrad years. Once you get out you can expect to make somewhere in the $60-$80k range starting if you land at a big studio. Most of the people that come out of the department want to go to the studios (Disney, Sony, DreamWorks, Pixar, etc.) and those guys get the pick of the entire world so even that isn't a sure bet but honestly it is a lot better odds than just architecture these days. My son is kind of lucky. He got into a start up about a year ago when it was brand new. He is now a production manager / producer and they are about to move out into a real office building. They are linked to the university and run a training lab in game design focused on educational games - calculus is their current project - so they use the students to develop the original games and then this company markets them. The students who work on the games get paid and they also get residual points once the games go to market - and experience - and the best are hired full time if they want to stay. That said, my son would still take a job at Disney or Pixar if offered.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.