Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

How many bubble screens do you think Spav will run in the ASU game?

9,614 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by agmeister
Chickenhawk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
eleventybillion

Came here to post this.
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
The first TD against Auburn was a bubble screen with a back door slant. Auburn bit in the screen and left Kennedy wide open on the slant. It has its place, just can't overdo calling it.
I loved that play. Kennedy faked the a block for the screen and Auburn's entire D bit on it. Kennedy then cut in past his guy and it was nothing but daylight to the end zone.
AgsMyDude
AG
had a TD @ SC this way too I believe. Pump faked the screen.
spaceman
AG
The anti-bubble screen shtick around here is getting old. There is nothing wrong with bubble screens in general, IF they are properly executed, AND not called so often that it can be anticipated. We fell down on the job on both counts last year. Maybe Spav called them because he had no choice (at times)? Offensive line was average at pass pro and below average at run blocking. Kenny didn't have the deep ball accuracy ... what were we doing WELL? Against SEC teams, I mean.

Ok fire away.
W
AG
Spav has lost the benefit of the doubt from the fans...and deservedly so.

you know the principles and strategies in tackle football from the 1940's and so forth...can still win games in the year 2015
No Spin Ag
quote:
eleventybillion
Beat me to it.

Damn job taking all my porecious time away from the zoo...basturds....
BowhunterAg83
AG
Many of the screens are run/ pass options and the qb audibles to the play based on d alignment.

We have some plays that are a run pass option after the snap. qb makes a decision based on series of reads.

That is why you will see guys running a wr screen on one side while re are running the ball up the middle.

Lot going on out their.
sundevil76
quote:
quote:
Sounds like a typical PAC 12 offense like Arizona or UCLA. Nothing special and a lot better thing for ASU that a strong running team in the SEC.
Nobody really knows what our offense is going to be like this year. Our offense had 3 distinct phases last season: South Carolina blowout + cream puffs, offensive ineptitude and quitting against Bama, then the Kyle Allen finish. The last involved starting a true fish QB (a highly talented one, but a fish nevertheless). I imagine the coaches called a lot of screens to keep pressure off of him.

Allen's worked hard over the offseason, and he really is extremely talented, so I imagine the coaching staff will be more than willing to let him do more this season. On the other hand, we hired a more run-heavy offensive coach to coach our OL and handle the running game schematics (Dave Christensen, who'll probably act as a co-CO during practice, game prep, and scheme + play development). So I could see our offense going in a lot of different directions.

So yea, we'll see.
ASU fans know more about his potential than most of the Aggies.Just like your faithful from Houston know a lot about our new QB commit, Sterling-Cole. But like Anu Solomon at Arizona, a redshirt freshman, Sumlin was just as conservative as Rodriguez in not wanting turnovers. Don't get me wrong, the Aggies have a great offense, but so do a lot of spread teams in the PAC 12. Allen is poised to take the next step but some here called him great already with a completion rate of less than eight yards a throw? When you beat up on the Gamecocks it was partly due to great planning and execution on offense, mixed in with a defense not ready for an attacking spread. It is the norm in the PAC 12 with a lot of good QB's. You are facing a decent secondary.
BowhunterAg83
AG
Pac 12 is like big 12. They might as well be playing 7 on 7.
BeastmodeAg
AG
Fo-hundred
MondayMorningQB
AG
quote:
Threeve
Ulrich
There's nothing wrong with a bubble screen, but we gave up on running the ball for solid yardage. What I mean by that is that we really only ran "trick" run plays. Slow developing draws, off tackle runs, pulling linemen, two point stances. Those plays, just like the bubble screen, are intended to catch the defense off guard and get huge chunks of yardage, but those big gains are predicated on the defense over-committing to other parts of the field.

Because defenses picked up on our complete lack of a quick hitting interior run game, they did not react to play action and they stayed home on assignments knowing they had time to read our slow developing plays.

The bubble screen takes a while; that's a long pass thrown when the defense is looking into the backfield immediately after the snap. If you don't have numbers, it usually gets blown up. Well, we ran it all the time against defenses that were 1) expecting that play and thus not giving up numbers, and 2) knew that if they took a split second to read the play they were unlikely to get burned by an aggressive run play. That's a recipe for lots of plays that go for 2 to -2 yards.

Many of our big plays were on seam passes when a receiver slipped his block on a fake bubble screen and the safeties were playing down and to the outside expecting bubble screens, off-tackle runs, and shallow out routes.

Concentrating the defense in a different spot is not the same as spreading them out. We did the former.
sundevil76
quote:
Then you must be playing 7 on 7 since you are regressing. Winning three conference games hardly makes you a SEC power team. You are playing basically a home game, so you better win big or all this talk is just bull. Oregon beat the best ACC team and how did the SEC do against that 7 on 7 conference? You are a PAC 12 style team and as an article posted here pointed out, if you win it will not be due to conference style. You were dead last in defense and your best running back had something like 600 yards.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
quote:
Then you must be playing 7 on 7 since you are regressing. Winning three conference games hardly makes you a SEC power team. You are playing basically a home game, so you better win big or all this talk is just bull. Oregon beat the best ACC team and how did the SEC do against that 7 on 7 conference? You are a PAC 12 style team and as an article posted here pointed out, if you win it will not be due to conference style. You were dead last in defense and your best running back had something like 600 yards.

Funny, I don't recall having 3 conference wins, being last in defense, and a RB with 600 yards. I thought the teams haven't even reported to fall camp yet, that's alot of stats for not even starting fall camp.
gunslinger2007
AG
1 is too many.
TAMU1990
AG
The better question is can we defend them
Amazing Moves
If he does bubble the place up...

Dave Christensen needs to be the OC by the 2nd qtr. That guy is a badass waiting in the wings. I'm surprised he wasn't named OC when he was hired. His offenses a Mizzou were sick.

Make the change.
Amazing Moves
If he does this..

Dave Christensen needs to be the OC by the 2nd qtr. I don't understand why he wasn't named OC when he was hired. His Mizzou offenses were sick. Nice run game balance also.

Do it.
yonose
AG
quote:
quote:
You guys won't even know what hit ya! You need to get outta that AZ sun. It's killing all your brain cells.
Silent For Too Long
quote:
Spav has lost the benefit of the doubt from the fans...and deservedly so.

you know the principles and strategies in tackle football from the 1940's and so forth...can still win games in the year 2015
In his first year on the job, with an incredibly young team, with WRs who use to be QBs and true soph/fish actually at QB, he had the 30th ranked offense in the country. That means about 75% of the other teams out there would have gladly traded for the job our OC who should have been fired did.

There is nothing "deservedly" about it. People have delusional expectations here, and irrationally throw coaches under the bus when those delusional expectations aren't met. At least that's better then throwing the kids under the bus, I guess.
Silent For Too Long

quote:

When you beat up on the Gamecocks it was partly due to great planning and execution on offense, mixed in with a defense not ready for an attacking spread. It is the norm in the PAC 12 with a lot of good QB's. You are facing a decent secondary.
So you are saying that Steve Spurrier doesn't know how to prepare for a pass happy offense?
BMX Bandit
Not sure which stat you are using for 30th ranked offense, but 75% of teams in power 5 conferences would not trade for our offense last year

It was terribly inefficient at times. I don't put all that on Spav.

But acting like all is good because we were "ranked 30" is missing the big picture
Silent For Too Long
I used the stats that anyone else can pull up.

Link, you could have just googled it though.

And if you move the goal posts to "power 5" A&M jumps about 10 spots. So now we had a top 20 "power 5" offense.

I also didn't say it was "all good." I said, given the circumstances, it was a lot better then people on here believe, and definitely not grounds for firing someone who was one year into the job, given those circumstances.

Am I a little concerned about Spav? Sure. Do I think Texags way overreacts to bad performances without ever giving a shred of credit to good performances? Absolutely. I would that he did an okay, not great, but not awful, job his first year with a true fish/soph at the helm of an offense that requires strength at that position.
BMX Bandit
Who cares if we are better than SMU on offense? Does it get you excited if UTEP wants our offense? That's why power 5 matters.

There are probabably close to a dozen measures you could have been using for "top 30". Your choice of total offense tells me all I need to know.

Silent For Too Long
"My choice?"

It's the official FBS website of Offensive rankings. We were 32nd in scoring offense if it really makes that big of a difference to you. Or, uh, 22nd, if you want to stick with only "power 5" schools.

No matter how you want to slice up the statistics, they objectively show A&M's offense was anything but "bad" last year. Not up to the standards left in the wake of a Heisman winning QB? Sure.

Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt this irrational, fact free, rant with some objective facts. SPAV SUCKS AND HE AND HIS CHILDREN SHOULD BE ASHAMED. Is that way it's suppose to be done?
BMX Bandit
Yes, that was the stat you chose as demonstrating what makes a top offense.

I don't think Spav should be fired, so not sure why you are yelling.

Silent For Too Long
Oh brother. I "chose" the stat the NCAA chooses and is the most recognizable and widely understood. I then, to placate your objections, "chose" the second most common statistic used in ranking offenses, and that really didn't change anything.

Do you have some objective statistics you would like me to consider that show A&M's offense was anywhere close to the awfulness that would justify the vitriol on this website aimed at it's coordinator?
agmeister
S
Depends how good the offensive line is and how comfortable Kyle has become in the pocket. But you probably knew that.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.