Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

How many bubble screens do you think Spav will run in the ASU game?

9,613 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by agmeister
Cris_Dishman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
15? 20?
TXRed75
AG
Every other play. Left, Right.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
That's our running game...

Hopefully the running game coordinator will have some input as well
chipotle
Easier question: How many other plays besides the screen will spav use? I'm guessing at least 6 short passes during the many 3rd and long situations.
Cris_Dishman
You have to run the bubble screen at least 20 times and then fake the bubble screen on the 21st time and hit the deep ball. Who cares if the bubble screen fails 20 times in a row, its all worth it for that one big play.
SARATOGA
If we're running the ball successfully, then hopefully 4

If we're not running successfully, then there will not be a limit. We could go all bubble screens.

Howeveh - the receivers used to say "If you want the rock, you got to block", so they can be successful if you're other receivers block.
Post removed:
by user
greg.w.h
AG
So let's see...we have:

1. A Head Coach with OC experience
2. A QB Coach who is an OC
3. A Running Backs Coach who is a former OC
4. An OL and Running Game Coordinator is is a former HC and OC who specializes in running game in a spread
5. A special teams/WR coach who coached running backs at Idaho State
6. Aaron Morehead who only has worked with wide receivers

You would think with all of that coaching talent understanding offense and running that we will not waste our 5* running backs by sending them to the doghouse and actually make better use of them on the field. Or I'll prophesy that we'll only get 3* running backs like Jay Bradford who might have hidden issues.

I realize that Sumlin's offense traditionally makes very bare use of the running game...but still...
ABATTBQ11
AG
Too many
JRB78
AG
At least two per quarter.
Post removed:
by user
chase128
AG
Hopefully, our offensive line is better and Spav doesn't have to resort to as many WR screen plays this year.
Russ11
AG
All of them
Emilio Fantastico
AG
quote:
All of them

Damn, beat me to it.
hunter2012
AG
Tree-fiddy
mongey donk
AG
quote:
Threeve
$ Texas
W
AG
let's hope he stops throwing the ball in the 4th quarter once ASU runs out of timeouts
Spicewood Ag
AG
eleventybillion
Sheneneh Jenkins
Infinity times infinity
Aggie Joe 93
AG
First play will either be a QB delay run up the middle, or screen.
bberry72
AG
The problem with the screens isn't only that they don't work, but the inability to establish an inside running game, and unwillingness turn throw to the middle of the field. A defense that stops one should be weaker in others but you have to call the plays to find out.
sundevil76
Sounds like a typical PAC 12 offense like Arizona or UCLA. Nothing special and a lot better thing for ASU that a strong running team in the SEC.
El Mero Guero
We better be a completely different offense this yr. I am amazed that we kept Spav after last year. He seems like a really good kid, but it was clear last yr that he is just way out of his league in the SEC. Maybe he learned a lot last year and has adjusted accordingly, we will see...but given our talent, new 5-star #1 in the nation QB or not, we were piss poor on offense overall.
CoachB2
point being, and i've said this for years, that the hardest route to defend is a come-back when the CB's back is turned.

Almost every CB will have his back turned at some point when you are running a vertical route in man coverage.

When the receiver stops and comes back, he will almost ALWAYS have a huge advantage on the defender.

It's time we start using this a bit more.
BowhunterAg83
AG
quote:
point being, and i've said this for years, that the hardest route to defend is a come-back when the CB's back is turned.

Almost every CB will have his back turned at some point when you are running a vertical route in man coverage.

When the receiver stops and comes back, he will almost ALWAYS have a huge advantage on the defender.

It's time we start using this a bit more.

This is Kyle's favorite route to throw!
Knife_Party
There is no reason we can't run a spread like Missouri, or dare I say BAYLOR, who run the ball a lot and frequently have a 1,000 yard rusher who is not the quarterback. Both teams still rely on tempo, scoring points as quickly as possible, and spreading the field with speed, CORE air raid concepts. I really hope that is why Christensen was brought in considering that was the offense he called for Pinkel.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
There is no reason we can't run a spread like Missouri, or dare I say BAYLOR, who run the ball a lot and frequently have a 1,000 yard rusher who is not the quarterback. Both teams still rely on tempo, scoring points as quickly as possible, and spreading the field with speed, CORE air raid concepts. I really hope that is why Christensen was brought in considering that was the offense he called for Pinkel.
Christensen also uses a lot of concepts found in traditional "two back" offenses, like pulling OL and tight ends. Seeing as how Sumlin is the modern poster child for "One Back", I think this year it'll be interesting to see the block scheme develop.

I do think if we force defenses to cover the perimeter with 4WRs on the field and the OL can run block with 5 then the RBs are going to rip off some huge runs this year. I hope DC has Spav run it between the tackles 90% of the time. I would think most teams run dime against our 4 WR sets, so that would mean 5 in the box with their set expectation on pass. I think thunder type RBs would do best out of this set, get past the OL and your pretty much at the second level.

Also the screen game can effectively replace the outside run, especially when more defenders move into the box to stop the inside run.
Citizen Reign
I think Sumlin is now convinced that if you can't run the ball you have no shot at winning the west. Last year was a big f up on the coaches part. Fish QBs should not have the weight of the team on their backs. Last offseason should have been dedicated to running the ball.
Mr. Peterman
Most Bubbles/Quick Screens are RPOs. Nobody, especially at the college level calls just a bubble/quick screen.
OrygunAg
AG
quote:
Sounds like a typical PAC 12 offense like Arizona or UCLA. Nothing special and a lot better thing for ASU that a strong running team in the SEC.

That's right, nothing special, just a bottom dweller sec west team.
95_Aggie
AG
Congrats TexAgs. The season hasn't even started and y'all are complaining about the offense.
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
Nobody really knows what our offense is going to be like this year. Our offense had 3 distinct phases last season: South Carolina blowout + cream puffs, offensive ineptitude and quitting against Bama, then the Kyle Allen finish. The last involved starting a true fish QB (a highly talented one, but a fish nevertheless). I imagine the coaches called a lot of screens to keep pressure off of him.

Allen's worked hard over the offseason, and he really is extremely talented, so I imagine the coaching staff will be more than willing to let him do more this season. On the other hand, we hired a more run-heavy offensive coach to coach our OL and handle the running game schematics (Dave Christensen, who'll probably act as a co-CO during practice, game prep, and scheme + play development). So I could see our offense going in a lot of different directions.

So yea, we'll see.
bberry72
AG
I have been a severe critic of last year's play calling but bubble screens have their place. Its all about execution and safety/linebacker movement. If they are out on the edge covering bubble screens, they are not in the middle of the field. My problem is not mixing in plays in the middle of the field when bubble screens are well covered. Our major offensive successes last years were when Allen was allowed to attack the center of the field. On the rare ocassions that he did, the offence worked as it should. There is no point in using the bubble screen if you won't throw it back to the vacated center.
EKUAg
AG
The first TD against Auburn was a bubble screen with a back door slant. Auburn bit in the screen and left Kennedy wide open on the slant. It has its place, just can't overdo calling it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.