Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

How much can a QB improve his arm strength?

6,479 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Citizen Reign
Deputy Travis Junior
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was watching a few videos of last season's games and the difference between Kenny's arm and Kyle's seemed pretty significant. However, Kenny was a sophomore last year while Kyle was a fish. What do you think? Can we expect a substantially stronger-armed Kyle this season?
dirkjones
AG
Watching the team during pregames last year, it seemed obvious to me that Allen had the much stronger arm as compared to Hill.
powerbiscuit
he sure seems to have filled out a little bit in the last year or so, but his arm is already strong. I imagine his arm strength will mature slowly over time with his overall physical maturity
Post removed:
by user
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
Watching the team during pregames last year, it seemed obvious to me that Allen had the much stronger arm as compared to Hill.
Really? In the Arkansas game, Hill threw a pass that went about 65 yards downfield through the air (he threw from the 6ish yard line and Pope caught it at about the 35 yard line) plus a little because Hill threw toward the center of the field from the right hash. That's a hell of a throw.

If Allen is stronger than that, he's going #1 overall in 2 years.

Skip to 2:05
andrewe
Wow 45 yards.
Lateralus Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Really? In the Arkansas game, Hill threw a pass that went about 65 yards downfield through the air (he threw from the 6ish yard line and Pope caught it at about the 35 yard line) plus a little because Hill threw toward the center of the field from the right hash. That's a hell of a throw.

If Allen is stronger than that, he's going #1 overall in 2 years.

Skip to 2:05

Arm strength is not the only or best indicator of a qbs draft stock.
Deputy Travis Junior
Sorry, my bad. I forgot Al Davis died a few years back.
RealBad Tree 08
AG
After watching them both throw last year you came away with the conclusion that Kenny had a substantially stronger arm? Don't see that at all. Always thought Kenny threw an ugly ball. Fluttered in the area. Kyle rips it with a tight spiral generally.
Speedystooth
AG
Arm strength is not something that is easily measured to me. We are not setting up huge play action passes that are launched into the air like a cannon to travel half the field or more. Most of what Kyle is throwing needs to be a little softer to be consistently catchable as the receiver is typically closer in and crossing in many cases. It puts timing and accuracy at a premium and I think we saw Kenny lose this ballance.

Our receivers dropped their share but some of those throws that looked good from a distance were thrown 8-12 inches off target and were thrown way too hard. I see young QBs do this when they get nervous/frustrated. Ryan Mallet was so in love with his own arm it seems to have sabotaged his career.

From what I've seen Allen has a beautiful arm when he shows it. I personally love how controlled he is.
MicheIangeIo
AG
AgBank
AG
quote:
After watching them both throw last year you came away with the conclusion that Kenny had a substantially stronger arm? Don't see that at all. Always thought Kenny threw an ugly ball. Fluttered in the area. Kyle rips it with a tight spiral generally.
Agreed.
Old School Wrecking Crew
AG
I think Allen has as strong or stronger arm but controlled. Kennys passes are ugly and off target.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
I think part of Kenny's problem was not knowing when to take something off the ball, ala Reggie McNeal.

I think some of Kyle's throws looked like they had less on them cause they did - and they needed to.

I think his underthrows on some of his deep balls had less to do with arm strength and more to do with throwing the ball to Josh Reynolds or Speedy Noil vs some undersized slow AZ WR, meaning it takes time to get used to putting the ball out there far enough that a guy running a 4.5 or better doesn't outrun it.

I imagine this year we'll see a lot more of those hit guys in stride.
Deputy Travis Junior
He certainly had his moments of legitimate brilliance. It's pretty wild to think that he was only a fish. I'm really, really looking forward to seeing him with a full year of experience under his belt.
BowhunterAg83
AG
Answering the op's question-- increase your core strength. Qb's have special strength, conditioning, stretching drills.

Kenny has a very quick release and strong arm. But, had below average foot work causing the ball to flutter.

Kyle has great arm strength and uses his body and core really well. His release is long which makes it more difficult to throw touch passes and throw on the run. He has had to learn to take something off of some throws.

Because of Kyle Allen's hard work ethic, it was just a matter of time before he displaced Kenny.

If we can run the ball, we will be really good!
Meximan
You have to go through the rookie training drills in preseason, and if you get enough gold trophies, you can take a guy's arm strength from 70 to the high nineties in just a couple offseasons.

Wait, what was the question?
CrottyKid
AG
There is certainly some amount of "arm strength" that comes from the arm and shoulder region, but a lot of what is called "arm strength" comes from the rest of one's body, especially the lower body.

I saw Kyle Allen throw some passes to the sideline that displayed above average arm strength. I think that's all you can really see in game situations. You'd have to do something unnatural to really compare...like set up a radar gun and a distance challenge and have guys throw as hard and as far as they can. I doubt there were more than a handful of situations where either qb threw the ball as hard as they possibly could in a game.
Captain Awesome
"Arm Strength" often gets better when you get more confident in where you want to throw the ball and perfect good technique.
Being 6'3 helps with leverage.
"strength" can be misleading. Although growing into their man-body can't hurt.

Knife_Party
Let's be specific. When we say arm strength, what we really mean is the ability to display power in a throwing motion using the arm. Each throw is analogous to a standing vertical jump in that both require rapid displays of power. Power is largely genetic and not very trainable. That said, on a solid strength program, you could see some small increases in power production. What we see is what we get largely with an adult quarterback's arm. Now, some of these kids may still actually be at the latter stages of puberty so there can be some developmental processes that are leading to increases in power production.

All that said, Kyle can throw that ball very hard and very fast through tight holes. He needs to work on his touch and his deep ball accuracy, which I am sure he is doing as we speak.
ashley
quote:
Let's be specific. When we say arm strength, what we really mean is the ability to display power in a throwing motion using the arm. Each throw is analogous to a standing vertical jump in that both require rapid displays of power. Power is largely genetic and not very trainable. That said, on a solid strength program, you could see some small increases in power production. What we see is what we get largely with an adult quarterback's arm. Now, some of these kids may still actually be at the latter stages of puberty so there can be some developmental processes that are leading to increases in power production.

All that said, Kyle can throw that ball very hard and very fast through tight holes. He needs to work on his touch and his deep ball accuracy, which I am sure he is doing as we speak.

Have you ever coached quarterbacks?
BowhunterAg83
AG
^^^^ sounds like he is trying to analyze a qb by using physics without the formulas ????
rcb05
AG
Point being, and I've said this for years, arm strength is the hardest quarterback attribute to quantify.
BowhunterAg83
AG
Measure it in fps on a deep come back route. Sports science. A good Coach can spot it in a few throws.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Probably not a lot. Allen's arm probably doesn't get much of a workout anymore...
agz win
AG
I did not skip one second of that pig game video.

Thanks for posting it.

And effe u, pig vomit Jerrah!
JimbloFisher
AG
I was convinced Allen had the stronger arm after his first throw of the year
Citizen Reign
So if he doesn't, Kennny will go #1?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.