Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Offensive/Defensive 3rd down conversion rate in 2014 almost the same.

2,117 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Cannonball!
hunter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Offense-40.78% which was 64th in the country

Defense-40.00% which was 67th in the country

LINK

I'm surprised with this stat with how bad our defense was and how slow the offense got(in order to protect the defense). I figured the more plays per drive would have helped the offense and likewise 67th is more mediocre than the defense than we were used to seeing on 1/2nd down. I suppose the mid season collapse skewed the offense's rank but not that much.

Thoughts on the matter?
ABATTBQ11
AG
The defense wasn't all that bad. They were improving until the offense collapsed. I think they just gave up at Alabama after the crap the offense pulled in the Ole Miss game.
Amazing Moves
The offense was just young.

The defensive was young with a terrible scheme.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
The defense wasn't all that bad. They were improving until the offense collapsed. I think they just gave up at Alabama after the crap the offense pulled in the Ole Miss game.
For clarification sake, what "crap" are you referring to from the Ole Miss game?
Colonel_Janus
quote:
They were showing signs of improvement until they lost their confidence and they started getting injured

weren't we out like 4-5 starters on our front 7 in the Mizzou game including Garrett? Most infuriating game I've ever been to
Aggie95
AG
imo, the offense started showing these signs in 2013. The focus seemed to be the big play...or at least making a first down every play instead of taking the 4 to 6 yard gain and moving quickly to the line...repeat. Some of that was the fact that our QB's ran much less last year. This seemed to create longer 3rd down scenarios. I would be curious to see what our average 3rd down distance was in 2012,2013, and last year
Aston04
AG
The offense missed having Johnny bail us out with his legs on 3rd down.
BowhunterAg83
AG
Our running game was so poor, we could not run the ball when we had the defense out numbered in the box. This puts more people in coverage to stop passing game. Equals many long yardage situations.
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
quote:
For clarification sake, what "crap" are you referring to from the Ole Miss game?

Pick 6 and a fumble returned for a TD. Then there was the second half where the defense locked down and the offense never took advantage. Ole Miss went 3 & out almost the whole second half and our offense was nowhere to be found.

MSU wasn't much better either. We got turnovers and the offense coughed it right back up.
Cannonball!
AG
That may be because we convert on 1st and 2nd downs so often
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.