Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Is our offense actually good?

17,648 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by gam 15
BowhunterAg83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The players or coaches would not agree with your statements concerning Boone.

Do we lack SEC championship talent in key positions-yes. Wr is way, way down the list.

However, we do not have one D Williams, Treadwell on our roster. Why is that?

BowhunterAg83
AG
quote:
quote:
The players or coaches would not agree with your statements concerning Boone.

Do we lack SEC championship talent in key positions-yes. Wr is way, way down the list.

However, we do not have one D Williams, Treadwell on our roster. Why is that?

If you don't think Josh Reynolds is or will be on their level by the end of the season then I question what you saw last year.

Boone will never be anything more than a 2nd string occasional player that will never be half as good as the starters regardless of how hard he works. The only reason he got any playing time is because Quiv and Sabian are trash
Josh does not have their size or speed but is great in our offense. I am a huge Reynolds fan. Played all year with dislocated shoulder.
Boone would be the 5 th wr on any football team. He is just THAT GUY you can depend on. Can play any position. Runs a 4.4 and has a crazy vert leap.

Now, should we be recruiting better mis match wr's--- YES! We have a bunch of guys that could play for U of H.

But wr is behind O Line. We must run the ball against the light box in order to be successful passing. Our opponents have been successful running the ball against our loaded box, which puts our db's in a bind!

BowhunterAg83
AG
Josh is 6'3" with very long arms and may weigh 190. Size, strength, yac, etc... All count. Josh is our best WR. But he is not Treadwell or D Williams. I can only recommend you watch more film/ games, practices.

qb's have a say on which wr's are on the field. They want someone who will pick up the audibles and read the defense ( back shoulder throws, etc..)

Boone may not be our 5th guy, but he would still play( rotate in) for anybody else. He just does that much stuff right and is our second fastest wr.

El Mero Guero
quote:
quote:
My worst fear this year is an impotent offense because of Spav's terrible play calling.

This is called catastrophic thinking. You're worried about things based on no evidence
No evidence? Spav's playcalling was piss poor for much of last year. I am sorry, but I thought it was crazy that we kept him on. He seems like a good dude, but he should have never been hired in the first place and that is one of Sumlin's big mistakes imo. You don't hire a kid who has no prior playcalling experience to be OC of a team in the SECW of all places. Hopefully he learned a ton on the job and gets "most improved" this year.
sundevil76
quote:
quote:
but the point is, I believe we have almost as far to go on offense as we do on defense. There is a lot of talent on both sides of the ball, but both units have a lot of work to do. That's all.

couldn't be more wrong
Did any other SEC team have a leading RB with only 600 yards like the Aggies? Can't be many. Sumlin's offense had no balance and was totally pass happy. Looks like Mike Leach and Sonny Dykes. Foster for ASU had 1,000 yards on the ground and 700 catching. That is probably better than your whole RB group and he was replaced by Richard as the featured RB later in the season.This works in the PAC 12, not so much in the SEC. You can score a lot but also get dominated in some games. When you face a decent secondary it can be ugly for air raid teams.
98WFSCAG
AG
I've wondered the same thing op
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I remember an awful lot of dropped passes last year.

I think improvement in this area could have kept the offense on the field and the defense from getting gassed.
bangobango
AG
Ripping on Boone is beyond stupid. He's not hurting us at all. Watch the games.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
but the point is, I believe we have almost as far to go on offense as we do on defense. There is a lot of talent on both sides of the ball, but both units have a lot of work to do. That's all.

couldn't be more wrong
Did any other SEC team have a leading RB with only 600 yards like the Aggies? Can't be many. Sumlin's offense had no balance and was totally pass happy. Looks like Mike Leach and Sonny Dykes. Foster for ASU had 1,000 yards on the ground and 700 catching. That is probably better than your whole RB group and he was replaced by Richard as the featured RB later in the season.This works in the PAC 12, not so much in the SEC. You can score a lot but also get dominated in some games. When you face a decent secondary it can be ugly for air raid teams.

You should educate yourself our team before you start throwing stat smack. We ran it 46% of the time, that's hardly the 24% the Leech does. Sonny Dykes was about the same at 45%. Even still 46% is not "totally pass happy".

Also Carson didn't have 600 yards because of play calls, we rotated too many RBs and none found a rhythm. Also our Oline was bad at run blocking and that hurt ypc.

The irony is I think the more effective we run the ball the less we will ultimately run it. This is because a successful run game that demand defenses respect will open up the pass game.

Even in 2009 at Houston, Sumlin's most pass happy year he still ran it 35% of the time.

I maintain that being able to run is more important for our offense than the actual yards. Regardless, if we really are only using a 2 back rotation, I bet Carson will eclipse 1000 this year with more touches and a better run game.
AggieAL1
I guess I need to check my glasses. It seems I was watching some other team last year. In any case, picking on Kenny Hill seems misguided. As stats go, Hill, completed 67 percent of his passes for 2,650 yards and 23 touchdowns with 8 interceptions. Allen completed 62 percent for 1,322 yards and 16 TDs with 7 interceptions. Sure, Hill faced three dogs (Allen saw action against each) in eight games compared to one dog for Allen in five games. But there is no evidence to this point that Allen will fare better than Hill. And it's a bit wishful to glean enthusiasm from the premise that the Aggies were 8-5 "in the toughest conference in football." It appears that we were 3-5 in that conference.

In truth, there are big questions on both sides of the ball and unless there's marked improvement in both, this season will likely reflect last year (though without a 59-0 drubbing). And even that hope rests on finding a kicker who can adequately replace Lambo.
hunter2012
AG
Do you honestly think Hill would have put up 35 on Auburn? Or that he would have been MVP of the bowl game?

Regardless, the team lost faith in Hill and he was desynchronized with the receivers. That and Allan is younger so he has more upside.

You do realize that players and especially QBs are allowed to get better in college football right?
powerbiscuit
quote:
quote:
quote:

couldn't be more wrong

we had 3 guys splitting carries, **** happens
gonemaroon
AG
Our offense and the play calling sync is clearing an issue.

How to get the ball in our play makers hands is also a huge identity crisis for this staff.

If we figure out how to actually sync the offense and get the balls to our true play-makers at the right times maybe then we'll run some teams out of the building.

We have elite level RB and WR talent and none of our guys are being mentioned anywhere pre-season. At least with Johnny we work Mike Evans out. And when we did it opened up other players who in other seasons would have rode the pine and never been heard of, but became big time contributors. You have to let the studs abuse the defense then it opens everyone up.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Let's see, QB Kenny regressed to th point he was terribly inaccurate and started throwing INTs and supposedly had lost the huddle, so we turn to a true freshman and of course he has some true fish problems.....

But even with all that we were a play or two away from beating both Mizzou and LSU to finish 9-3, and if the defense was even AVERAGE, not good but average, heck even below average but not awful, we would have won the last two games vs the Tigers x 2.

The O was not exactly what we wanted it and expect and hope it to be, but it was good, or good enough. The awful D held the team back and is where real improvement is needed.

Ole Miss the offense did blow that game while the D played well overall. That was the beginning of the end for Kenny, or maybe th end depending on how you look at it, but Sumlin sure as he11 wasn't going to give Kyle Allen his first start in Tuscaloosa...
AggieAL1
quote:
Do you honestly think Hill would have put up 35 on Auburn? Or that he would have been MVP of the bowl game?

Regardless, the team lost faith in Hill and he was desynchronized with the receivers. That and Allan is younger so he has more upside.

You do realize that players and especially QBs are allowed to get better in college football right?

Sure. Auburn's defense was mediocre at best and its secondary particularly suspect. A lot like us. Hill put up quite a few points against South Carolina, which in the end proved to be a team on par with Auburn.

I'm even ready to defend Hill's performance in some of the losses. I believe the record debits Aggie receivers with 11 official dropped passes against Mississippi State and there were several more that could have been caught. One of the interceptions bounced off the leg of the receiver after he was on the ground and back up to a defender. It could just have easily been incomplete, or even caught.

I believe a close look at replays of the Ole Miss game will show that the receiver made the wrong read on one pick six and broke away from where the ball should have been, and was, thrown. And I think the receiver slipped down on another interception. Not a bad pass, just bad luck.

Even at Alabama, the entire offense was poor (three receivers blocked the same man on a screen, receivers and backs regularly blew other blocks, made bad reads and ran poor routes, offensive linemen had no clue whom to block, etc.), not just Hill.

I'm not in position to know if the team lost faith in Hill, but it's clear the coaches did and that's even more important. So he's gone. I do realize that QBs are allowed to get better (even Hill?) and I certainly expect Allen to be better. I was primarily concerned last year with his arm strength (especially on throws from the right hash to left sideline), a big windup resulting in a slow delivery, and faulty footwork. Hopefully, all will be improved.

gam 15
AG
Bump... a lot of us on here saw this coming. I can't believe the guy we pay 5 million a year didn't.
Spicewood Ag
AG
the answer is no!
Ben Diamond
It's an awful system for the SEC. Why many can't see this is nuts.
chipotle
Oh thank god I didn't post in this thread
Tango Mike
The reason I can't quit TexAgs is because of all the "if you can't see ______, you just don't know foosbaw" bull****. Every Aggie will be vastly improved because I said so! If you can't see that, I can't help you!
The Collective
AG
The zoo ain't dumb.
dimeboxaggie
AG
quote:
I don't think qb problems were that bad last year. And that should be better this year anyway.

I think the problems were with using the wrong RB at the wrong time which should be fixed with the new coach. And WR not making catches they needed to make which hopefully will be fixed with the new coach. Also some crappy play calling, not sure if that'll be fixed.

So in conclusion I think our offense will be a little better this year.

Lost all credibility. Never post your thoughts again.
dimeboxaggie
AG
quote:
quote:
but the point is, I believe we have almost as far to go on offense as we do on defense

Fail
dimeboxaggie
AG
quote:
the real question is, how far into the season do we get sputtering along with bubble screens that don't work until we realize that Spav gotta go!!!??

Truth
dimeboxaggie
AG
quote:
Running the air raid with Allen, RSJ, Speedy and Reynolds... yes I think our offense is pretty good

Total post fail
dimeboxaggie
AG
quote:
Our offense will be horrible. We may get a first down though

Knows his ****
Post removed:
by user
Motel California
S
quote:
Our offense will be horrible. We may get a first down though

speedfreek
Is fruitcake really good?
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
quote:
My worst fear this year is an impotent offense because of Spav's terrible play calling.

This is called catastrophic thinking. You're worried about things based on no evidence

Well...
fireinthehole
NO. Next ?
gam 15
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.