Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Overpaying coaches who underperform

8,669 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by 94chem
nickstro66
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
*Overweight coaches who underperform
schmellba99
AG
quote:
quote:
they can demote him and keep him; but they still have to pay him per the contract. would you really want a bitter, pissed of former head coach recruiting for you?

Yes. Most definitely. Wax the floors. Empty the trash cans. Coach the water boys. Anything is better than letting him off to rob someone else.

To the contrary, you want him gainfully employed as soon as possible because usually School A gets to deduct the salary paid by School B from any monies owed.

So if School A owes the coach $1MM per year contractually over the next 5 years, and the coach goes to School B for $800k per year, School A just reduced their liabilities from $5MM to $1M
BMX Bandit
Aston:

Weiss' notre Dame money was reduced by what Kansas paid him.
Moe 92
AG
quote:
I feel like our legal system is skewed in America. We pay people ridiculous sums of money for failing and literally doing nothing. It makes zero sense. Sure, Notre Dame promised the money to the coach, but shouldn't the coach have to promise results? It just seems like a complete waste of students' and former students' money.
OCCUPY SOUTH BEND!

Deputy Travis Junior
Supply and demand in action OP. There are very few legitimately good coaches in the business, so as soon as a guy looks like he might be good, his current employer either backs up the Brinks truck or the coach peaces out.
Cosmo57
quote:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12910308/charlie-weis-cashing-big-paychecks-via-notre-dame-fighting-irish?ex_cid=espnFB

quote:
Former Notre Dame and Kansas coach Charlie Weis could ultimately earn more than $24.5 million from the schools while not coaching either program.

Notre Dame paid Weis $2,054,744 for the reporting period of July 2013 through June 2014, according to the university's federal tax return, which was provided to ESPN.com on Monday.

The sum paid to Weis to not coach the Irish -- already at a total of $14,857,379 because he has now received four straight payments of $2,054,744 from Notre Dame, following an initial payment of $6,638,403 after his firing -- could end up exceeding $18 million by next winter.

Notre Dame is scheduled for "additional annual payments" through December 2015, so two more payments of what Weis received in the previous four years means his buyout money from the school would total $18,966,867.

This is ridiculous!! My kids won't be going to Notre Dame, that's for sure. Why don't they just demote HCs or keep them on as recruiters or something?

Probably not. It was a horribly one sided contract with no buy out on the schools part, I would expect it was for head coach or nothing. It was just another case just like Sumlin and Kingsbury of schools giving out long term extensions based on one good year when the coach still had three or four years on the original contract. Norte Dame has no one to blame but themselves.
SpicewoodAg
AG
quote:
If you are not fulfilling your contract, why should you get paid?
He did fulfill his contract as written. Don't you get it?

That's how CEOs that fail get golden parachutes.

Notre Dame agreed to a contract that was unfavorable to them if the coach failed. Weis is a terrible coach, but apparently is good at negotiating contracts.
NotreDameJoe
quote:
Also, you could "promote" them to Director of Football Operatons or some such with responsibility to promote the bravfnd, speak publicly, lead expeditions to Dubai....
Director of BBQ Pizza Catering maybe.
Pro Sandy
AG
Didn't we have Slocum, Fran, and Sherman all on the payroll at one time?
Aston04
AG
quote:
Aston:

Weiss' notre Dame money was reduced by what Kansas paid him.

Source?

That's the exact opposite of what I've heard. Tried googling but couldn't find an exact mention either way. He sure has gotten paid a crap ton of $ by ND since getting fired, if they had the ability to subtract his lucrative Jayhawk and Chief money. I don't think the math works...
Aston04
AG
Bamn. Found it- My pops was right-

quote:
"The biggest reason Weis is still being paid by Notre Dame at all is because the lawyer representing the university failed to include an offset clause in Weis' contract when the school hired him in 2005.

An offset clause, which is pretty common when it comes to coaching contracts at major universities, is a way for the university to save or recover at least part of what they owe a coach after he or she is fired.

In this case, in 2010, Weis took a job with the Kansas City Chiefs after being fired by Notre Dame in 2009. As outlined in the agreement between the two parties after his firing, Weis was scheduled to be paid $2.05 million annually from Notre Dame through 2015. Had an offset clause been included in that initial contract, the total amount given to Weis by Notre Dame from 2010-15 would have been drastically lower.

Let's say Weis made $1 million as the Chiefs' offensive coordinator in 2010. Instead of owing him $2.05 million for that year, Notre Dame would have owed him only the difference $1.05 million. Furthermore, by the time he was hired at KU, where he brings home $2.5 million annually, an offset clause would have eliminated Notre Dame's payments to Weis altogether."

http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/tale-tait/2014/may/23/situation-regarding-weis-compensation-fr/

Apologize any time bmx for correcting me without bothering to verify what you are saying.
BMX Bandit
With tail between my legs, I apologize for my post & humbly beg forgiveness.
Aston04
AG
no worries..
94chem
Jack Welch got something like $417 million for wrecking G.E. Seems like ND got a bargain.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.