Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Aggie War Hymn & the history of how it came to be

138,245 Views | 381 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by rootube
TruAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is fantastic!
I'm honored to read the story on TexAgs.
Thanks for the pictures, too.
The War Hymn is such a precious part of every Aggie's heritage.
I love Texas A&M!
joshpettett
AG
Well now I've stayed up even later than I was planning.

Thanks for that.
Houston Lee
AG
Former BQ here and Army veteran. Thank you for sharing this story.

I was a drummer in the Aggie Band and I graduated almost 25 years ago. I can still play the "Aggie War Hymn" by heart. Whether I'm tapping it out with my fingers or playing on the snare drum, It's something I will never forget.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
Former BQ here and Army veteran. Thank you for sharing this story.

I was a drummer in the Aggie Band and I graduated almost 25 years ago. I can still play the "Aggie War Hymn" by heart. Whether I'm tapping it out with my fingers or playing on the snare drum, It's something I will never forget.
Same here
dyhardag
AG
War Hymn Aggie,

Thank you for sharing this story with your fellow Ags on TexAgs! It's an exceptional story that adds layers of complexity to the writing of our glorious War Hymn! Your Grandfather was a truly exceptional Aggie and American! The timing being Memorial Day weekend is perfect!

I've always loved our War Hymn, but not to the extent that I will every time I sing it in the future! This story "teared me up" several times throughout.

I'm so proud to be a fellow Ag with you and your Grandfather. God Bless and please stop by and visit us @12th Fan Tailgaters if you are ever near Lot 67/68 on any football weekend.

Gig 'Em!!!!!!!!!!!!
12thMan86
AG
One of the best threads I ever read here on texags
3rd Platoon
AG
This is such Good Bull. Pinky defined the term "Red Ass Aggie"
---------------------------------------
aka Commander 99 and "The Fake Dave South"
Beechcraft AG 91
AG
1st Class Stuff!

Thank you so much for sharing.
jreg90
AG
Awesome story. Thanks for posting!! Will now have a different appreciation for our fight song!!!
cheeky
hdrydor
AG
Thanks for sharing this amazing story!
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
war hymn aggie,

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. This thread will always be an acceptable answer for Best Thread Ever.
12MAN26
AG
This. Absolutely. Awesome. Period!
Esteban du Plantier
valvemonkey91
AG
I was at a wedding last night where the War Hymn was sung at the reception. As I was watching and singing it, I was thinking about this thread. I didn't think it was possible to be prouder to be an Aggie. Thank you again for the story, War Hymn. Gig 'Em forever!
Coleman Sweeney
AG
Thanks for posting this OP.
Area51Ag
AG
War Hymn thank you so much for posting the true story of the The War Hymn. You have done a great service for TexAgs and our great university by tying this story to Memorial Day. Hopefully our younger grads will read it and appreciate the significance of the American Armed Forces and the many contributions of Texas A&M to our Armed Forces.

Like so many others I will be thinking about this thread and Pinky when I lock arms with my fellow Aggies as we sing the War Hymn. I will also sing it even louder and with more pride. God Bless you!
Wheatables02
AG
Thank you for this thread. I passed through Bertram last weekend driving from DFW to Burnet and the statue of Pink blew my mind! No idea it existed until then.
war hymn aggie
AG
Thanks for all of the positive feedback, guys. It's very much appreciated.

Let's finish up this story:

In September of 1919, Pinky returned to A&M to begin his Junior year. One of the 1st things he did was establish a quartet. He soon formed his team & together they dubbed themselves "The Cast Iron Quartet".

The Cast Iron Quartet

The quartet began by singing after dinner and at informal student events. The big night came when the quartet attended a movie in downtown Bryan & the quartet gave a performance during intermission. Back then, all movies were silent movies so a piano player performed to the audience while the movie was playing. Naturally, Pinky was a substitute Piano player for the theater and he talked the manager into allowing his quartet to sing during intermission. The Cast Iron Quartet began their performance and it just so happened that the Yell Leaders were also in attendance. The final song was the Aggie War Hymn and after finishing, the place went wild. It was so boisterous that ushers rushed in expecting to break up a fight.

No fight that night, just a fight song.

After the movie was over, the Yell Leaders came up to the group and asked it they would sing that song at the next Yell Practice. Back then, it was held after the evening meal on the steps of the YMCA building. At yell practice the group was introduced and performed the song. It helped that the QB of the football team (Arthur Knickerbocker) & one of their star lineman (E.S. Wilson) were also members.

Knickerbocher & Wilson outside Sbisa

The song was such a hit that the quartet members were picked up and carried around the area on other Aggies shoulders. A reminder that this was in 1919. That year was a particularly good year for the Fightin' Texas Aggie football team, as the Ags under legendary coach Dana X Bible were undefeated & unscored upon for the ENTIRE year! Along with my grandfather, Coach Bible was also stationed in France in 1918( as an Army pilot, I believe), but he returned to coach the Aggies in 1919. My, how times have changed. I wonder how many famous current college coaches would be required to do the same thing in this day & age.....

Anyway, before the game against the horns, the quartet performed at yell practice again, and the results were the same, as they were once again carried around the square.

The Aggies ended up beating the horns 7-0 and Coach Bible had the team so inspired that he did not make 1 single substitution or call any timeouts during the entire game.

The song written originally written as a ballad. However, in 1921, George Fairleigh, director of the FTAB approached my grandfather about "jazzing it up" a bit, and soon afterward, it made its inaugural debut on a football field.

In June of 1921, Pinky said goodbye to Texas A&M, but only as a student. He was now a former student. He moved back to Florence where he ran the Wilson Family ranch. Several years later, he purchased his own ranch outside the community of Joppa in Burnet Co. where he was a goat & turkey rancher. He sold his ranch in the early 70's and retired in Burnet until his death in July of 1980. A couple of years ago, I went by his old ranch & saw Longhorns & a big Texas Longhorn flag flying above the entrance. Ol' Pinky is probably turning over in the grave at the sight of this

Pinky as an upperclassman

In 1938, Pinky was asked to write a 2nd verse to the Aggie War Hymn at the request of several Aggies, who thought that the song was too focused on t.u (sound familiar?). He reluctantly wrote the 2nd verse and made it the 1st verse.

The newer verse has been "tried out" several times over the years, but as stubborn about traditions as Aggies are, the 1st verse has never really caught on.

Finally, many people over the years have asked Aggies what "Hullabaloo, Caneck, Caneck means", so the next time you can tell them it was a yell that Aggies had at the time the War Hymn was written....or you could give an answer like Jack K Williams did. President of A&M at the time, Williams was asked this same question & quipped that it was Chickasaw Indian for BTHO t.u. My grandfather loved that response and it became his standard quote afterwards whenever he was asked that same question.

An older Pinky

The other note to add was that the "Wilcat", "Saw varsity's horns off" & the Hot Time medley at the end were later added to the War Hymn. I have recently found out that the Aggie Band Director at the time, George Fairleigh was instrumental in adding these pieces to the end of the song. How much of a part my grandfather played into it, I don't know.

........so now, you know the story of how the Aggie War Hymn came to be written.
agjddoc
tbirdspur2010
Port_Cow Ag 08
plowboy1065
ABATTBQ87
AG
Info from the 1920 LongHorn, but I could find no mention of a "fight song"

The Cast Iron Quartet: http://bookreader.library.tamu.edu/book.php?id=yb1920&getbook=Go#page/n251/mode/2up/search/+Quartet

Pinky Wilson: http://bookreader.library.tamu.edu/book.php?id=yb1920&getbook=Go#page/n153/mode/2up/search/james+wilson

CBattBQ87
Gladiator 96
AG
...and now we know the rest of the story!! Thank you so much War Hymn Aggie for the awesome journey through a very important piece of Aggie history! May it live on in a way that would make your grandfather and all Aggies proud!
tbirdspur2010
AG
This thread might be in the top 5 ever on TexAgs for me.

Effusive thanks to you, OP!
dyhardag
AG
Best thread ever! Thanks again War Hymn Aggie!!!
A1_Ag_95
AG
Bookmarking
BigCountryAg
AG
warhymnaggie,

Would you be willing to share where your grandad's ranch was near Joppa?
I would enjoy taking my boys by there to see it.

I live just a few miles from there on the Burnet Co/Wilco Co line.

Thanks for taking the time to write up this extraordinary story for all of us.

Amazing.
mt3950
AG
The best use of a "gofundme.com" fundraiser on this site would be to buy back pinky's ranch from the damn sip that owns it. I could get behind that!
Sharpshooter
AG
Great Thread!!!!!
drcrinum
War Hymn,

You need to formally publish this story. Have you considered approaching TAMU or TMF about it?
war hymn aggie
AG
BigCountryAg,

I'm not particularly sure where it is, as it's been about 50 years since I've stepped foot on my grandparent's old ranch. I can generalize tho. From Hwy 29 in Bertram, you look for Pinky's statue next to the old train depot. I think it's FM 243 (Grange St.). On 243 you will cross the old Bertram HS where my parents both attended school. You'll pass the Bear Creek cemetery where my mom's parents & grandparent are buried. Soon after that, take a left. Should be a roadsign pointing you to Joppa.

Sidenote: right before you take that left, you will pass Owen Wilson's old homestead on the left. Not the actor Owen Wilson, but the athlete Owen Wilson. Not related to me, but Mr. Wilson played pro baseball for the Pittsburgh Pirates in the early 1900's. He still holds the major league record for triples in a season with 36. Likely, it will never be broken. My parents met him a few times as kids growing up.

Cross an old bridge than runs across the South San Gabriel River. Warning:This bridge is supposedly haunted by a troll, so don't stop & tarry too long. ;-) That tributary runs thru the ranch that my mother grew up on. I've fished off it it & on the banks below as a kid, but no trolls crossed my path, thank goodness.

Anyway, after crossing the bridge, you will immediately see the Joppa community center on your left. Turn right, towards Briggs & Florence. A couple of miles down on the left, you will likely see a ranch house about 1/4 mile from the road. The front entrance will likely have a Longhorn flag flying over it. That was the ranch that my grandparents built their lives upon for almost 50 years.

The people that currently own it have kept it up very well. One day, I hope to simply drive up, introduce myself, show the owners pics from the 30]s on up & see what it's currently like.

Just found it on google map: Just off Co Rd 210.

Found a pic of the entrance to the Joppa ranch that I took a few years ago:

porchdawg
AG
War Hymn - thanks for taking the time to write this out, and well done!

Hope we get a chance to chat by your fire pit again when next football season comes around.. and if you throw another string on that old guitar I might even play a few tunes! ;-)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.