Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Aggie War Hymn & the history of how it came to be

137,776 Views | 381 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by rootube
Sponge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think it is a little silly singing constantly about tu when we have decided we don't want anything to do with them. Even before, seemed weirdly obsessive to sing about your rival in your own school's song.
WhoHe
AG
Sponge said:

I think it is a little silly singing constantly about tu when we have decided we don't want anything to do with them. Even before, seemed weirdly obsessive to sing about your rival in your own school's song.

By the same logic we should scrap the Star Spangled Banner, since we're signing constantly about a battle that we aren't fighting any longer ...

Or we could just understand and acknowledge the circumstances under which the song was written, appreciate the history and enjoy that tradition.
war hymn aggie
AG
Sponge said:

Many Aggies (including myself) have agreed with you over the years. In 1938, Pinky was coerced to write another verse (entitled the 1st verse) because several prominent Ags at the time thought that the AWH was directed too much at t.u. It never really caught on, but it was written nonetheless.

80 years later, we no longer play t.u.in football , but the AWH participation remains a staple @ all Aggie events.....and we still continue to sing the "2nd verse" that Pinky wrote back in his days as a marine while fighting for our freedom & also for the freedoms of many other non-Americans at the time.

I've been to several Aggie weddings (& even some funerals) the past few years in which the AWH has been played. I've sawed tu's horns off along with everyone else at the wedding party. It's somewhat of a new tradition.

Ironically, I've been married 34 years & it wasn't a tradition to sing/play AWH at the time, so we didn't saw any horns off at my Aggie wedding back in the day. :-(.

Once again, my message is to celebrate the 100 year Anniversary of the writing of this song.

IMO, along with Muster, it's one of A&M's greatest traditions & I feel that it's my responsibility since I have had the resources fall into my lap to broadcast this info to anyone who enjoys this piece of history about this great University.
Justin2010
AG
Great thread! I'm amazed I missed this originally!
SpiderM85
BaileyAg
jess09
Awesome job war hymn Aggie
ABATTBQ87
AG
The Aggie band will dedicate one halftime to the War hymn this year
aggieband 83
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

When you find out which one, pass the information along!
war hymn aggie
AG
aggieband 83 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

When you find out which one, pass the information along!
Found out today that the FTAB band will be doing a halftime performance honoring Pinky, the 100 year Anniversary of the writing of the AWH & also honoring all of our veterans when we host Ole Miss on 11/10/18. Also, this game coincides with the 100 year anniversary of Germany surrendering (Armistice), which basically ended the Great War. It's also played right before Veteran's Day, which is the following Monday.

My family (which includes several Aggie graduates) will be given preferred seating for this game & will be allowed to be on the field & recognized right before the band marches off of Kyle at the end of their performance. It's a great honor to be a part of this event.

My grandpa would be VERY proud......He loved A&M very much & it's great to see that the University has not forgotten his efforts in the writing & music to his song that he penned while fighting for his country. Hopefully, it will be a halftime performance that many in attendance will appreciate.

Final thought, Pinky wrote his song while he & his fellow Marine buddies were under attack from the German's. He wrote it on the back of an envelope from a letter that he had received from my great grandparents. He kept it dry by keeping it in an oil pouch that I have inherited. The AWH was not written by a musician in a comfortable environment. It was "born" in the heat of battle, per se. In the end, the AWH & Texas' Independence were both forged under similar circumstances . How many other schools can claim this feat?
valvemonkey91
AG
I will be in the stands for that if i have to quit my job.
aeon-ag
Sponge said:

Go to tu then, you can sing about A&M!
Jtb102
I have seen his plaque on the road as a historic landmark. And read his story. It was cool
aggieband 83
AG
Thanks for the update. I always enjoy the FTAB halftime. The 'Ol Miss halftime will be particularly special!
ABATTBQ87
AG
Jtb102 said:

I have seen his plaque on the road as a historic landmark. And read his story. It was cool

Pinky Wilson is buried in a cemetery West of Burnet on Highway 29
Agsgirl

Is this also where we get the "German's bombing the moon" phrase?
Geriatric Punk
AG
First time reading this thread. Best part of my week.

Thank you, War Hymn!

BTHOSC!!!
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Agsgirl said:

Is this also where we get the "German's bombing the moon" phrase?
Not sure if you're serious...

See Animal House (Belushi's pep talk).

Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Drawkcab
As a good and wise Ag once told me, the words to the War Hyme have never been more relevant.

Saw 'em off, Ags!
jess09
Awesome story, can't wait to see the FTAB and the family at halftime. Whoop!
geb83
AG
Quote:

Quote:

Sponge said:

By the same logic we should scrap the Star Spangled Banner, since we're signing constantly about a battle that we aren't fighting any longer ...

Or we could just understand and acknowledge the circumstances under which the song was written, appreciate the history and enjoy that tradition.

Agree w/ WhoHe. . .
Pinky Wilson Foundation
Actually, Vernon,( Pinky), Wilson had 5 brothers and "2" sisters, and a
9th sibling that died at birth. He also had 2 wives, and an only adopted
son.
Pinky's nickname, even though he may have told this other story about it,
was given to him at a few months old, on our Wilson Family Ranch. His
FATHER was also nicknamed Pinky, hence him getting the same name.
Lots of Research to do on Pinky's Life, 6th Regiment....and some more
family mining for some info.
I am working on all that thru the PINKYWILSONFOUNDATION.COM
as the 501c3 is dedicated to this work, promoting higher education at
A&M and other colleges, AND to give away rating scholarships to those
that both deserve them and need some help getting1. JOIN US! ...also
100th Anniversary T's commemorating Pinky writing the War Hymn in 1918
are available at website above. Thanks !
Pinky Wilson Fpundation
war hymn aggie
AG
friend of mine recently sent me this article from San Antonio express news from 1975. Seemed appropriate in these current events, even tho someone that typed the headline can't spell for spit

sorry, trying to edit. Haven't posted pics in a few years.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iSey3K][/url]
ABATTBQ87
AG
A request from the October 23, 1919 Battalion:

A&M must have a Song! Let's get one!

From the October 7, 1920 Battalion

ABATTBQ87
AG
December 9, 1938 Battalion:

A 'New" version of the Aggie War Hymn is introduced:

September 23, 1939 Battalion:

A 'New" version of the Aggie War Hymn is introduced:

rca21978
AG
This is an incredible thread. Posting to bump it back to page1.
agmd85
AG
War Hymn Aggie, thank you for sharing your many recollections of your grandfather's stories. Simply amazing.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
whatthehey78
aeon-ag
war hymn aggie said:

Even tho the conditions were grim, Allied forces were actually making progress. The Germans were retreating quickly and the marines kept pursuing. As Pinky settled down for a rest later that day, he began to think again of his fallen friends and of Texas A&M, so he pulled out his paper and began to write "Good luck to the dear old Texas Aggies, they are the boys that show the real old fight". He folded the letter up again & put it back in his oil cloth. That night, it was another cold & wet night and continued throughout the day. Enemy fire, hunger, weather elements, lack of sleep & now, Spanish Flu was decimating the ranks. It was so bad that the the battalion camped in the woods for several days without moving while they waited for food, replacements and (hopefully) warmer, drier weather. The Germans were still retreating and were no better off than the Allied forces.. Finally a field kitchen arrived which helped feed to starving soldiers. After eating, Pinky collapsed due to exhaustion and fell into a deep sleep in his foxhole, even tho it rained most of the night.

After a hot breakfast the next morning, Pinky felt much better & there were periods of time that the rain would stop for awhile, so he pulled out the letter & tried to work on his song again. He tried to think of some more yells, but he was stumped. He started thinking about songs about Texas & he immediately thought of "The Eyes of Texas are upon you" but immediately debunked that thought because the T-Sips had used that song for several years, but then he realized that they didn't have the rights to that song at all. That song was popular for several years before the horns had "pirated" it , so his thinking was the song really belonged to ALL Texans., but since that's the song that they "stolen" from his fellow Texans, then he would give them credit for the theft and say "that is the song they sing so well". And then he included "so good bye to Texas University, we're going to beat you all to hell".

IMO, by including this last sentence, Pinky basically showed how much hatred he (& likely many of his fellow Aggies) had for t.u @ the time & it also showed how much love & pride that he had for his future alma mater.

In these modern days, many might object to my grandpa's sentiment at the time it was written, but back in his day, there was great animosity between these 2 schools & knowing the history, I can understand why Aggies despised Longhorns for so many years & vice-versa, but that's an entirely different discussion for others to elaborate on.....

So now, we have in writing:

Hullabaloo, Caneck, Caneck
Hullabaloo, Caneck, Caneck
Good bye to Texas University
So long to the Orange & the white
Good luck to the dear old Texas Aggies
They are the boys that show the real old fight
The eyes of Texas are upon you.
That is the song they sing so well
So Good bye to Texas University
We're going to beat you all to hell

That was it for now. The song would have to wait to be finished on another day.

BTW, how many of you cannot read the bold phrases listed above without singing it in your mind. I, for one, cannot do so.

Next up: The end of WW1 & of the beginning of a completed song.
t sips? I still and always will hate the SOB's!!!!
Wrecking Crew 21
rootube
AG
Not sure if they are still doing this but there used to be a train ride from Cedar Park to Bertram where you can see the Pinky Wilson statue in Bertram. It's a pretty fun family trip if you are in the area.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.