Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

How thin at Corner are we ?

9,907 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Busdriver99
SARATOGA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So Brandon Williams as a corner ?

Honestly, (how pathetic), what does that say about our corner situation that BWill is being called over to the defensive side ?

Smells a lot like "We're desperate at Linebacker, help us Nate Askew"

Nate put in his time and tried his best, but still. This can't be a good sign for the secondary.
Matsui
AG

Mayhaw Jelly
AG
Obviously, you're not a golfer
Oknows
AG
Have to think Chevis sees something there or this wouldn't be happening. The guy is a hell of a gunner, but knowing coverages and actually covering people is another thing.
Aggie*1982
AG
Troll
FriscoKid
AG
quote:
Have to think Chevis sees something there or this wouldn't be happening. The guy is a hell of a gunner, but knowing coverages and actually covering people is another thing.
Who?
agmrpink
AG
Devante is like 150lbs, so he's pretty thin.
Maroonblood32
"The sky is falling!!! The sky is falling!!!" STFU!!!
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Not really thin at all just trying to get our best athletes on the field.
- company line
The Collective
AG
Seemed like TA had built up his spring... at RB.
millertyme
AG
quote:
quote:
Who?
Mike Jones?
Sq 17
probably a good PR stunt
By being a two way player probably in the in 5 or 6 CB packages
he can help the D in a very limited capacity
He gets lots of good buzz about playing both ways
It is already working because the boards are talking about it
Jimtim1216
S
He has the speed and quickness for it. Does not mean we are lacking at the position.
As good of an athlete he is, get him on the field as much as possible.
Spotted Ag
AG
Trust in Chavis
theeyetest
quote:
quote:
quote:
Who?
Mike Jones?
Who?
millertyme
AG
With his speed and quickness, maybe the coaches feel he won't have to give WRs a 10-15 yd cushion!
RadAg14
AG
He made better tackles than some defensive players during the season
Tomdoss92
AG
quote:

Smells a lot like "We're desperate at Linebacker, help us Nate Askew"

Nate put in his time and tried his best, but still. This can't be a good sign for the secondary.

Well, he did make that pick and save the chicken bowl.

MaroonStain
AG
I think this more Chavis seeing BWil's abilities and giving him more opportunities to shine. BW is not an every down RB. With Tre Carson and James White, his carries will be few and far between.
Bird Poo
AG
I would imagine this move opens more opportunities to a career in the NFL. If Trey couldn't sign with a team, I'm sure Brandon is considering his options.

Also, BW has been a beast on special teams so its not like he doesn't know how to find somebody to hit.
Ridge14
Wait what
powerbiscuit
I'm surprised we didn't try it sooner. The guy is a hell of an athlete.

Someone asked Coach Jackson who the fastest player on the team was last summer, Noel or some other WR, Jackson said something like "my money is on Brandon Williams".
aggiealltheway
AG
quote:
Trust in Chavis
It's Chevis! See post above. Get it right!
Buying_time
AG
Pretty Slim is my guess
Spotted Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Trust in Chavis
It's Chevis! See post above. Get it right!
My apologies, but what the heck is our DC doing on a freaking cycle tour? https://johnpchevis.wordpress.com/author/johnpchevis/
44mAG
AG
On the bright side, what does this say about our RB situation? Sumlin and Company must REALLY like what they see in White. I'm excited about Carson and White getting most of the carries...
Frankie T
I like the coaches thinking outside of the box here. I do think it means they feel comfortable that Carson/White and Bradford/Bussey give them enough depth to take Slim away from the position full-time. I think it does bode poorly to our CB depth, since you don't make this move if you've got solid players at CB. I think Chavis and the other coaches needed to see how everything played out this spring before they even considered this. Hopefully Slim can be an impact player on both sides of the ball.
Aggielandma12
AG
I was talking with a Corn Dog co-worker. Apparently this is not uncommon for the Chief to do.
Texas Tide
AG
The bad news is our corner position probably is garbage from a talent standpoint.

The good news is we have a coach who now recognizes this and is clearly going to do everything he can to fix the problem including drastic moves.

I'd much rather have someone taking a proactive approach and recognizing our weaknesses in order to fix them than what we've have the past few years at corner which is basically a whole lot of nothing.
Aggies1322
AG
The chief probably loves Brandon's size. At 6'0", 200 Lbs. Brandon is the size of CB Chief likes. I like the move, because Brandon sure beats having Harris on the field.
stuffmd
I remember RC making similar move in early 90's with Larry Horton. He was a RB his first 3 years. Not a starter, but part of the regular RB rotation. It worked out well, if I remember correctly, and he became starting DB.
powerbiscuit
he'll probably be used as a man corner

"cover this guy"

he wouldn't have to worry about any schemes, just jam the guy and don't let him get deep
The Collective
AG
quote:
On the bright side, what does this say about our RB situation?

That we don't need them (RBs)?
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
quote:
Devante is like 150lbs, so he's pretty thin.

He looked heavier when he asked me for gas money
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.