Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Texas A&M chancellor throws more cold water on A&M-Texas revival

28,004 Views | 180 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Lot Y Tailgate
MSU/SECALUM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/24/texas-am-chancellor-throws-more-cold-water-on-am-texas-revival/
Toothdoc86
AG
F 'em
hunter2012
AG
quote:
My sense is with the 12th Man we've got new friends

Rocagnante
AG
F 'em
BASFindsAWay
AG
"we have new friends..."

classic.
Drake aTm
Maroon Flash
AG
Great news. Don't give them a chance to get us on the field with refs they have paid off.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
And that is the problem. The people who truly matter with having this discussion continue to avoid each other, either out of pride or spite or whatever reason you want to come up with.
How about it isn't important anymore?? We've moved on.

No spite, no pride. Just o-v-e-r.
West Point Aggie
AG
Gives me hope that the administration is not run by some nostalgia-driven fools! Our schedule is just fine as is!
Nonregdrummer09
AG
I would like to play them again, rivalry is what makes CFB great.

That being said, I'm not sure there is another two programs who are this close in physical proximity who refuse to play each other because they pretty much despise each other.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
I would like to play them again, rivalry is what makes CFB great.

That being said, I'm not sure there is another two programs who are this close in physical proximity who refuse to play each other because they pretty much despise each other.
Kansas-Missouri. Us and Baylor. Oklahoma and Nebraska. Pitt and WVU. Notre dame and Michigan.

Lots of examples of rivalries that fizzle out for different reasons. Generally, money is at the root of it.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
quote:
And that is the problem. The people who truly matter with having this discussion continue to avoid each other, either out of pride or spite or whatever reason you want to come up with.
How about it isn't important anymore?? We've moved on.

No spite, no pride. Just o-v-e-r.

For so long we cared what the state of Texas wanted or what college football wanted, lhn woke us up. To hell with what the state of Texas or what college football wants, if left up to them we would still be in the BDF.

I hope our administration is aware of this for a long time. It does not benefit us to play them so we shouldn't, end of story.
aggiehawg
AG
Each measured our success or failure solely in relation to each other. It was limiting and a self-fulfilling prophecy, aided by superior leverage for a century or so.

Now we are using a different yardstick. One that is on a more level playing field, determined on the field.

What a concept!!!
West Point Aggie
AG
Stockholm syndrome sufferers won't like the article!
West Point Aggie
AG
quote:

UConn BC
Pitt WVU
State Penn - Pitt (though after almost two decades it is coming back)
You can still loathe each other and not play!
P.C. Principal
This "we will never play tu again" crap is so petty and stupid.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:

Us and Texas in the early 1900s
d78230
AG
Tuck fexas.
dixichkn
AG
Stmichael
AG
I understand the sentiment of not wanting anything to do with the sips, but this mentality of trying to starve them of attention until they fade into permanent mediocrity is foolish. One way or another, they'll make a push toward relevance. Whether it's 3 years from now after firing Strong or 10 years from now after Patterson, they'll bring in someone who knows what they're doing and pick up where they left off.

At that point, there won't be much direct record establishing us as the superior team. They'll be bdf champions, and start claiming they're superior, and the media will eat that **** up like Ketch scarfs down pluckers.

The best way to ensure the long term survival of this program is to show the state, the nation and the whole world that we will BTHO tu, and then to beat them again, then keep beating them until there is no doubt in anyone's mind that A&M is THE program in this state.
The Debt
Two demands
1) it be at kyle
2) it be on the secn, it will be widest audience the sips will see all year.
dimeboxaggie
AG
We will play them again. Hopefully in a playoff game. Maybe 10 years from now. Think about how epic that game will be. Until then though, no regular season matchup. Playoff/bowl only.
Predmid
AG
Split the PUF 50/50 and then we'll consider playing the game again.
The Original AG 76
AG
For the last 100 years EVERY single achievement, building,street,professor,tree......EVERYTHING DAMN THING related to Texas A&M was compared to the place over in Austin. We built a sidewalk ..we had to hear about some damn sidewalk over there. We had a Nobel whatever...we were compared to the Nobel sip whatever..It totally dominated every aspect of our being not just sports.
Now WE ARE FREE and it is vital that we stay that way for a decade or 2. We need to cement and secure our INDIVIDUALITY and complete separation from those people for , at least, a generation.
John Sharp and the admin understands this. Trust me..they feel the same way about those people as most of us and understand how important it is to PERMANENTLY alter the relationship in our favor ( which means equal) .

BTW: We do NOT want to open the PUF issue under any circumstances. It is now 1/3 ours BUT the sips are forced to share their portion with a lot more system embers. Ours belongs to TAMU flagship 100%. If we allow ANY discussion to restructuring the PUF it is a GUARANTEE that the rabble ( tech, cougar hi, san marcos etc...) will force their way into the discussion and we will ALL ( A&M and the sips ) lose !!!!
Gil Renard
AG
It left out some of his other comments about Deloss
Aggie Joe 93
AG
Sip attitudes like Randolph Duke sour equal competition. I'll be happy to see the game come back, but not until they fundamentally change. Hell, give up our guaranteed 1/3 of the PUF for, say, an equitable share based on enrollment or research needs seems tolerable. Let the free market determine the financial success of Institutions. Resend all legislation enabling any institution's elitist entitlement.
Drake aTm
AG
Next time we play TU they'll be the new SMU.
LincolnBorglum79
AG
tu would be the 11th best team on our schedule if we added them this year. We would be among the top 2-3 teams on their schedule. Charlie wants no part of playing us. There is no guarantee tu recovers to be decent again. Just ask Michigan. History doesn't matter if you don't have a good coach and you play in a weak conference. There were lots of failed coaches at times between DKR and Mack Brown. This could last decades.

dixichkn
AG
quote:
but this mentality of trying to starve them of attention until they fade into permanent mediocrity is foolish

Absolutely, and I don't think (least I hope not anyway) that anyone is claiming that us giving them the middle finger is going to shove them into irrelevancy. They're cow. They'll always have a presence, a big presence. It'll just be without us. On our terms. As it should have been ages ago. They're not calling our shots anymore. And I thank John Sharp for recognizing that. If everyone else wants to continue to be their pawn for the next several decades......

Kate Beckett
AG
hunter2012
AG
quote:
quote:
but this mentality of trying to starve them of attention until they fade into permanent mediocrity is foolish

Absolutely, and I don't think (least I hope not anyway) that anyone is claiming that us giving them the middle finger is going to shove them into irrelevancy. They're cow. They'll always have a presence, a big presence. It'll just be without us. On our terms. As it should have been ages ago. They're not calling our shots anymore. And I thank John Sharp for recognizing that. If everyone else wants to continue to be their pawn for the next several decades......

I simply don't think they'll be as relevant as they were in the original big 12. Good? Yes. But it's difficult to be a powerhouse dynasty when you're in the weakest conference. That and with realignment, the whole CFB world saw what they really are.
howdy2u
AG
quote:
One way or another, they'll make a push toward relevance. Whether it's 3 years from now after firing Strong or 10 years from now after Patterson, they'll bring in someone who knows what they're doing and pick up where they left off.

At that point, there won't be much direct record establishing us as the superior team. They'll be bdf champions, and start claiming they're superior, and the media will eat that **** up like Ketch scarfs down pluckers.

True, but they'll do that anyway, even if we beat them annually between now and then.

Edit: before someone accuses me of BAS, my reply was directed at 1) what the sips will say, regardless of facts to the contrary and 2) what the media will say, also without regard to facts. I just don't think there's a way to shut up the sips, and the liberal media loves its own.
SA-AG72
AG
sharp has to be in the media limelight to stroke his huge ego. Nothing new here.
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
quote:
One way or another, they'll make a push toward relevance. Whether it's 3 years from now after firing Strong or 10 years from now after Patterson, they'll bring in someone who knows what they're doing and pick up where they left off.

True, but they'll do that anyway, even if we beat them annually between now and then.

Edit: before someone accuses me of BAS, my reply was directed at 1) what the sips will say, regardless of facts to the contrary and 2) what the media will say, also without regard to facts. I just don't think there's a way to shut up the sips, and the liberal media loves its own.

I understand what you are saying BUT.... Other than the local t-sip media the rest of the nation and a lot of Texas sees a good SEC record and wind against the SEC's best as FAR superior to any BDF anything including a BDF championship. ALL the sips can do to get ANY credibility would be to win the Natty. A decent SEC season trumps a BDF championship!!
ckwarren33
quote:
I understand the sentiment of not wanting anything to do with the sips, but this mentality of trying to starve them of attention until they fade into permanent mediocrity is foolish. One way or another, they'll make a push toward relevance. Whether it's 3 years from now after firing Strong or 10 years from now after Patterson, they'll bring in someone who knows what they're doing and pick up where they left off.

The best way to ensure the long term survival of this program is to show the state, the nation and the whole world that we will BTHO tu, and then to beat them again, then keep beating them until there is no doubt in anyone's mind that A&M is THE program in this state.
The 'big-12' conference is a J-O-K-E. Everyone knows this, and that's why the Big-12 co-champ 'One True Champion' didnt get an invite to the playoff this past year. Until that conference becomes relevant, whorn is more 'done' than chicken fried steak. I am unaware of available programs that could/would become part of the Big-12 ****show. The GoR makes leaving the Big-12 highly problematic for at least what, 6 more years? All of this points to whorn continuing to be chained into college football's sex-slave dungeon (need Cuppy to gif the attached image w/Big-12 logo plus action). In other words, plenty of time for Sumlin and Chavis to go get a natty. At that point, whorn could sing naked in Times Square (hat-tip to Naked Cowboy), and everyone following college football would still know who's got the biggest balls in cowtown.

Welcome to the Big-12 sex-slave dungeon. Meet the dungeon master, Deloss Dodds.
"Ehh boi, let me hear you sqeeeeallll".

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.