Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Sumlin's the number 4 most overpaid coach?

13,011 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by E.KingTrill
No Spin Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25152761/friday-five-the-most-overpaid-coaches-in

quote:

4. Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M, $5,006,000
Kevin Sumlin is hurt more by the amount he's being paid than his actual results here, but even if his spot here surprises you, it's warranted. In 2014 there were only three coaches in the country making more money than Sumlin: Nick Saban, Mark Dantonio and Bob Stoops. Saban and Stoops' track records speak for themselves, and Dantonio has completely turned around the Michigan State program, winning at least 11 games in four of the last five seasons. Sumlin, on the other hand, had a great start in College Station thanks to Manziel-mania. He went 11-2 that first year, beat Alabama, and it looked like the college football world would be his for the taking. But the Aggies' record has gotten progressively worse in the two seasons since, as A&M followed up a nine-win season in 2013 with an eight-win campaign in 2014. I don't think Texas A&M gave Sumlin that $5 million a year to watch the Aggies go 7-9 in SEC play the last two seasons.

Well at least he's not #1
Motel California
S
Meanwhile in Hippyville, Strong makes more and does less.
AusAg32
AG
Sorry to say this. It could be a black eye for the administration.

Until then, pay the man his money!
Cancelled
AG
Like I've said before, past circumstance has prevented us from seeing what Sumlin's O really is meant to be. We see it this year with a nearly fully developed KA.
schwack schwack
AG
How is Charlie Strong NOT on this list? He makes more than Sumlin!

http://res.dallasnews.com/graphics/2015_04/collegesalaries/
Yell Practice
KS has been very fortunate with his supply of Quarterbacks.
ashley
quote:
Like I've said before, past circumstance has prevented us from seeing what Sumlin's O really is meant to be. We see it this year with a nearly fully developed KA.

That is not really true. Offenses change every year as personnel changes.
BMX Bandit
Strong has coached 1 year. He will be on that list very soon if he stays on same track.

Or is CBS in on the "they hate us" group? Protecting ESiPN?
jja79
AG
6th place in a 7 team division, 59-0, losing every home SEC game could be considered worth less than $5MM.
wrinkledink
AG
So far? Yes, he's overpaid.
Brick Tamland
quote:
KS has been very fortunate with his supply of Quarterbacks.

He recruited two of the three guys who have started, so not sure of your point.
Spyderman
AG
Should have kept Sherman and that lower salary.
Brick Tamland
quote:
So far? Yes, he's overpaid.

I love Sumlin, but I agree. However, it's the price we had to pay to keep him. I hope it pays off.
chrisrrtx
AG
Not saying he is worth $5m not saying that he isn't either.
The logic in the description is flawed. Comparing his body of work at tamu for three years versus arguably the best college coach ever and two guys who have been at their current school since 1999 and 2007 is a bit of a reach. It did also take Dantonio 7 years to get to a BCS bowl.
hunter2012
AG
What's funny is most Ags on here are fine with Sumlin and the money he is making as we expect improvement. We realize that with the worst defense in the SEC the last two years we still went bowling and we still won. We also know that the defense needed some talent upgrade and depth.

Meanwhile the media is trying to get him on the hot seat.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
Negative. This isn't good...but that was waay worse /2nd-half-collapses
hunter2012
AG
quote:

We were only paying for first halves...
TSUAggie
quote:

Thanks a lot, Spav!
Knife_Party
If we have another 7 or 8 win season this year I think Sumlin's seat gets hotter, even with the Chavis hire. That won't happen though. We'll be winning at least 9, possibly 10 games this season.
permabull
AG
PharmD4
AG
Sumlin has averaged $360k per win over 3 years ($376k if you include his buyout).

For comparison, Chollie made $833k per win in 2014 ($1.56MM if you include his buyout).

I'm not saying he is or isn't overpaid...but if you're going to compare salaries, $/win is probably a reasonable denominator to use.
Yell Practice
Kevin has been very Lucky in SEC play, IMO.
Jack Leatherman
Sumlins worse season is 8win season (w/ true freshman @ QB) and 3 bowl wins in a row not sure why he would b considered overpaid
Tamu_mgm
AG
Just another typical piece of propaganda based off of extremely poor projections.
Wabs
AG
WGAS? Win.
allMondjoy
This thread is why some Aggies will remain the continual butt of jokes. Factless opinions, whiney and ready to abandon ship at the first three and out. The money Sumlin makes is due to the coach's market going rate. Look at what has been paid recently to Miss St, Ole Miss, Florida, etc. You now have a program heading in the right direction, recruiting well, defense weakness solved and need to have the patience and actions that supports this program rating national attention. People read this sh...t you are saying and just roll there eyes and say "Pooooooooor Aggggggies". Get on board, help A&M succeed or GTFO and rag, wine and complain about another program!
Sex Panther
AG
Sumlin is worth every penny
Yell Practice
Yell Practice
"6th place in a 7 team division, 59-0, losing every home SEC game could be considered worth less than $5MM"

Humm . , , . Maybe
redd38
AG
quote:
Sumlins worse season is 8win season (w/ true freshman @ QB) and 3 bowl wins in a row not sure why he would b considered overpaid
Mark Hudspeth's worse season is 9 wins and has 4 bowl wins in a row. He gets paid $750,000

Steve Spurrier is 29-10 over the last three seasons with three bowl wins compared to Sumlin's 28-11 with three bowl wins. Spurrier gets paid $4,000,000.

Until Sumlin wins an SEC championship, he's overpaid.
BMX Bandit
I don't think he's over paid.

But if he can't do better than 5 conference wins, it's hard to say he's earning that much salary.
Wabs
AG
Yell Practice,

Howdy! How are you doing?

Me? Doing well.

Go drink a warm glass of acid.

Regards,
Wabs
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
quote:

Because the wins are trending down?
Yell Practice
Wins are trending down since Johnny Football left.
67walkon
10-3 & 12-1 plugged into that formula could take him to the top of the underpaid list
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.