Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Recruits Miss Lone Star Showdown

37,563 Views | 170 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by MorgansPoint
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Some folks want the game just so they can talk water cooler smack at work, no more no less. They don't see the big picture and would rather beat the school in Austin than ever see A&M play in Atlanta or the CFB playoff.

I was not aware it was an "either/or" choice.

And tu would not have nearly the pull they traditionally had, especially considering we are not bound by the same conference ties anymore as we were for the first 115 or so years of our history.

Things have changed, and decidedly so. Playing them now would have a different meaning than it did 10 years ago, that not necessarily being a bad thing either.

Given the right terms, it woudl be a great non conference game to have. But the terms would have to be right.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Given the right terms, it woudl be a great non conference game to have. But the terms would have to be right.

Such as??

I'm having a hard time coming up with terms that would be acceptable to both of us. Thanksgiving is out. LHN is out. SECN is out. SEC starts conference play right away so a "pre-season" early game is out. CCG weekend (for everyone except the BDF) is out.
coupland boy
AG
quote:

Yes I did tell anyone who would listen that this was a travesty in the leadup to realignment, and I have every year since. And you can't just replace Texas with LSU. LSU isn't in your fight song, and you aren't in theirs. Aggies haven't been singing and swaying together for generations about LSU. There's no famous story of a tiger branded with 13-0. There aren't families throughout the state split along A&M/LSU lines. Especially as someone living in a house divided, I feel it as a personal loss every Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is supposed to alternate between CS and Austin every year, and it is supposed to be celebrated with rowdy, angry football where the emotional stakes are high.

Well.....we did. And something tells me you haven't been to a TAMU/LSU game.

quote:
If you lose that LSU game (and by the way maybe try beating LSU some time huh?) you don't have to spend the next year taking crap from all your LSU co-workers, or vice verse. The stakes just aren't the same.

oh.....it's coming. We'll win our share and they're not going to like it. The only difference in nastiness is that, for the most part, the coonasses aren't all around me. It's called separation and that's a good thing. Kind of like you guys and OU. I doubt there's many OU folks to talk **** to or get any in return either.

I like separation from you guys because even when we were winning some of you guys mastered the art of being A-holes.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
Are we all 5 years old?

Pretty much.

It's like we felt left out from the cool kids tu and ou who were playing on the playground together more and took the attempt to marginalize a&m as a second rate power program by tu personally, therefore since we have the ability to try to marginalize them that is the only option. We cannot allow those big meanies to feel included by playing us since we are the cool kids on the playground now. It's all about payback and retribution.
7nine
tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
That game is the birthright of every Texan. A travesty that it was thrown away over a bunch of inflated egos and a few million bucks. As absurd as it sounds I would absolutely support the legislature getting involved, because there's too much bad blood on both sides to make it come together again any time soon. All the bad blood that made the game amazing and then some more on top.
Hyperbole, much???? Did you tell that to Dodds in 2010? In 2011? In 2012? In 2013?

You want the legislature to get involved?? And do what exactly???? Tamper with or outlaw existing contracts?? Like, maybe the LHN??? How would you like that??

We've replaced the horns with the swamp kitties. End of story.

Yes I did tell anyone who would listen that this was a travesty in the leadup to realignment, and I have every year since. And you can't just replace Texas with LSU. LSU isn't in your fight song, and you aren't in theirs. Aggies haven't been singing and swaying together for generations about LSU. There's no famous story of a tiger branded with 13-0. There aren't families throughout the state split along A&M/LSU lines. Especially as someone living in a house divided, I feel it as a personal loss every Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is supposed to alternate between CS and Austin every year, and it is supposed to be celebrated with rowdy, angry football where the emotional stakes are high.

If you lose that LSU game (and by the way maybe try beating LSU some time huh?) you don't have to spend the next year taking crap from all your LSU co-workers, or vice verse. The stakes just aren't the same.

Except that's exactly what we did.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Except that's exactly what we did.
We had a pretty good rivalry with LSU going there in the 80's and early 90's.

Now we have the Thanksgiving game slot with them.

Then we stole their DC.

Oh, the rivalry is on.
coupland boy
AG
quote:
It's all about payback and retribution.

or simply letting a competitor lay in the bed they made. there's nothing petty about allowing poetic justice take its course.

Were we acting like 5 year olds when we offered to keep the game?
schmellba99
AG
Being on a conference network likely would not be an issue as the game would almost assuredly be picked up by a network.

Other than that, a neutral zebra crew and even splits on revenues. I would personally insist that all games for the missed years be played at Kyle before any discuasion about heading to DKR is on the table.

This isnt the first time the series was cancelled. The last time they took their ball and went home and we had to make massive concessions to play again simply because we needed the game. If they need the game bad enough (and i think they do), they will make concessions. It may hurt their pride considerably, but at some point if things continue along the paths they are now, they will make a deal.
schmellba99
AG
We have had a rivalry with the tiggers going back to the 40's. I love that it is a conference rivalry again.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Being on a conference network likely would not be an issue as the game would almost assuredly be picked up by a network.

Other than that, a neutral zebra crew and even splits on revenues. I would personally insist that all games for the missed years be played at Kyle before any discuasion about heading to DKR is on the table.

That will never happen. Horns won't agree. They need the home game to get some fannies in the seat at DKR.

This isnt the first time the series was cancelled. The last time they took their ball and went home and we had to make massive concessions to play again simply because we needed the game. If they need the game bad enough (and i think they do), they will make concessions. It may hurt their pride considerably, but at some point if things continue along the paths they are now, they will make a deal.
You might be right. If they have another decade of McWilliams/Mackovic stagnation. Would have to be very desperate times in Bellmont though, IMHO.
david1968
Count me as another vote "no". I will hedge by saying that if Bo Pelini and Mark Mangino, two parties with no affiliation with either school, both publicly state that the officiating was unbiased in every game they coached against t.u., we might consider re-opening the discussion.
biobioprof
If the game was renewed, wouldn't the refs be different from when we played them in the SWC or B12?

IMO what makes it a different level of rivalry is the split families. I know a lot of parents with kids in both schools, and a lot of students whose siblings are sips. I've had them tell me about recruiting wars within the family about where their younger brother will go. I don't see that for LSU, or even as much for TCU, Baylor, or tech. For a lot of Ags, beating tu will always be sweeter and losing to them more painful, even when the NC implications aren't there.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Our rivalry with LSU dates back to the 1890's. It is a good rivalry but it will never bring the same hate as playing tu.

I am deeply in favor of playing tu again. IMO, it is stupid to not play them. Thankfully the position of our Administration still seems to be "anytime, anywhere." tu is the one who stopped the series - let's all don't forget that. They tried to use the game as a chip to keep us in the XII. We left anyway and that forced Dodds to save face. So they told us it was never a big game for them anyway, and that we were never a real rivalry for them. Ok. Whatever. But that is why we don't play them. Dodds needed to pout and now Patterson is trapped in by Dodds' bullsh*t.

Members of our league have a long an deep history of playing their in state OOC rivals at the end of the season. We should be no different. I would think the SEC would want this game reinstated as soon as tu quits pouting and nuts up. It will happen at some point, but probably not until there is more time and distance between us, and that's ok.
ckwarren33
Would you jump back into a poker game where you knew the other players at the table were skilled 'mechanics'? Would you 'invest' your savings with a guy who had several prior fraud convictions? Would you send your children to the classroom of a convicted pedophile?

If yes, then I understand why you think scheduling whorn is a good idea.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Don't be such a baby.

Now that we are in the SEC the paradigm has shifted much more than you realize. This league takes care of its own and we play by SEC rules now. WE are the big dog now, not tu. When the rivalry eventually renews, and indeed it will at some point, a lot of things will be controlled by the SEC including tv partners and even referees half the time. And I don't see our league allowing tu alums to ever referee an A&M/tu game - EVER.

So while your poker analogy is cute, it is no longer reality.
West Point Aggie
AG
quote:
Members of our league have a long an deep history of playing their in state OOC rivals at the end of the season. We should be no different. I would think the SEC would want this game reinstated as soon as tu quits pouting and nuts up. It will happen at some point, but probably not until there is more time and distance between us, and that's ok.

I do not buy the notion that LSU is simply a place holder until tu suddenly feels the need to say, "ok, now is good". I find it hard to believe that LSU would have agreed to end their 20+ year relationship with the pigs on that weekend just to have its new rivalry with A&M busted when we say "sorry our old pals want to play us again...see ya!" If the SEC and LSU really felt that way, they would have kept the game with Ark and would have stuck us with mizzou...until that magical date when tu came knocking! What then? LSU and ark go back to each other? ...and Mizzou? Believe it it not, the SEC has obligations towards all of its members, and not just us and our nostalgia to play the nutless ones.

The thanksgiving weekend is SET, for good! A&M and the nutless ones on that weekend is never happening...that ship has sailed!

Now A&M and the sips during game 1? Perhaps! I'm in the whatever camp...this game is not a birth right, and I'd rather tu have its annual marquee home game be either TCU or baylor! That's so delicious, it has got to be fattening! Screw tu and ALL that they stand for! BAS sufferers...time will cure you!
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
quote:

I do not buy the notion that LSU is simply a place holder until tu suddenly feels the need to say, "ok, now is good". I find it hard to believe that LSU would have agreed to end their 20+ year relationship with the pigs on that weekend just to have its new rivalry with A&M busted when we say "sorry our old pals want to play us again...see ya!" If the SEC and LSU really felt that way, they would have kept the game with Ark and would have stuck us with mizzou...until that magical date when tu came knocking! What then? LSU and ark go back to each other? ...and Mizzou? Believe it it not, the SEC has obligations towards all of its members, and not just us and our nostalgia to play the nutless ones.

The thanksgiving weekend is SET, for good! A&M and the nutless ones on that weekend is never happening...that ship has sailed!

Now A&M and the sips during game 1? Perhaps! I'm in the whatever camp...this game is not a birth right, and I'd rather tu have its annual marquee home game be either TCU or baylor! That's so delicious, it has got to be fattening! Screw tu and ALL that they stand for! BAS sufferers...time will cure you!
agree 100%. it's in the SEC's (and ours) best interest to have A&M vs LSU be a marquee match up.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
But what happens when KU is ready to play Missouri as well?

It doesn't seem like LSU is all that excited about playing us on rivalry week, and Arkansas with Missouri either. I think the league had to move those games for all four schools to accommodate scheduling just as much to create rivalry match ups. Honestly, I think LSU and Arkansas will be more than happy to go back to playing each other on Rivarly Week when that time comes. And concidently, tu and KU will probably start playing both of us around the same time.

Again, I don't look for any of this to happen soon.
schmellba99
AG
I have no problem with any future game with tu not being on Thanksgiving. That is our slot with LSU, and will have to disagree with the poster above about LSU not being happy about playing A&M. Anecdotal, I know, but every tigger alum I know has never been thrilled with Arkansas. They have always viewed Arky as an outsider to the conference, and all of them love that A&M is in the mix.

Now, do they look at A&M as their hated rival right now? Not really - but most of them were too young to remember the series before it ended in the early 90's (which they don't owe us a dime for, BTW). And right now, because we've managed to crap the bed against them and haven't really made much of a game since we became members of the conference, they have the smugness about them that comes with beating A&M. But we win a few against them.....and things will change. They will hate, and we will know what their hate is. It's coming at some point, rest assured. It will take a long time for an absolute rivalry to emerge - and it may never become the raw, seething hate that some rivalries already are - but we are on our way I think.

I'd love to see tu as a non-con game either early in the season to get things started off much like CSU/CU is, or the weekend after Thanksgiving as a cap to the season. At some point, but read my post above on terms first. I honestly don't think anybody has the opinion of "as soon as tu says let's play, we drop everything and play them on their terms" like many of the posters seem to want to argue. And you have to realize that we aren't in the same conference anymore, and any future game between us will not really be comparable to the history we have as a result. That's not a bad thing.
aggiehawg
AG
Oh, the swamp kitties hate us now. Part long history, part the moving of the Thanksgiving game, part Speedy Noil, but taking the Chief was the capper. The lawsuits being drawn out just keep it in the forefront of their minds.

Remember they still haven't gotten over Saban leaving LSU for the Dolphins job. And it's not just football, it's basketball and baseball too. If you read their boards, we occupy a ton of space in their brains.
chase128
AG
Sure would be nice to beat them!
aggiehawg
AG
We will.
APHIS AG
quote:
If the game was renewed, wouldn't the refs be different from when we played them in the SWC or B12?

When we play at Kyle, yes however, when we play them in Austin, they will be the same refs that have been screwing us over for years.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Don't bet on it. The SEC seems to have their hand in all OOC contracts now, and I'm sure officiating is something that is agreed to as "to whom and for whom" the officials have loyalties.

All in stark contrast to the XII where you can bet any game involving tu has zebras in Orange underwear. (KU and ISU seem to have learned this the hard way as well.)
DayAg!
S
Shortsightedness is an inherent trait of some of you guys. See you simpletons forget that the media, no matter if we win or lose, will spin it as a tu victory some how. The narrative will always be in their favor. (and the refs) don't believe it, look at all the spin that came out of the perceived recruiting win that they had this year. Everyone with half a brain knows why and how things were manipulated but that still doesn't change the fact the that the spin was there anyway. They have continually repeated revisionist history and controlled the narrative for the last 60 years why do you think that will change.

No one on here can make a valid argument for playing them again. And I stress the statement of validity. Some of you in your feeble minds for no other than selfish reason can come up with an argument that will benefit Texas A&M University athletic department, to ever deal with them again. Nothing more than emotional needs and like someone posted earlier to have bragging rights around the water cooler. Those are far from valid reasons to play them again. 100 year old rivalry, family ties, recruiting wars, yada, yada, yada. Still only reasons fueled by emotional needs. Some of you are probably the same ones who were against an SEC move. To me you seem to be needy and cant move on. Which again is not a valid reason to play them but an emotional need that you think( and I do stress your opinion) needs to be filled. Let it go.

Texas A&M athletics does not need anything from Texas University at Austin. They are worse than any cancer you could contract as a comparison. They are putrid to the core and do not have the ability to ever think that anyone is their equal. No matter if we played and drove them in the ground. It's a culture ingrained in their very being and there is nothing that can change that. Nothing. So the sooner you clowns realize that you are playing with a sack full of vipers that are to be left alone at all costs the better this thing will be.

I cringe to think our administration will ever be swayed to play them again. Cause if we ever open that Pandora's box, I fear that it will be a very bad decision and their full and true colors will again be exposed for what they truly are. The only problem with that is that we would have given up any advantage we have gained . And in less than one recruiting cycle we would forfeit everything we have worked for to get to this point. And it will be a point of no return.

A tree is known by it's fruit. If something looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck... well you get the picture. They are best left alone at all costs. Their history should compel you to consider carefully what you wish for. Unless you are truly that shortsighted. And if that's the case then you yourself need some help cause you are truly a needy individual.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Shortsightedness is an inherent trait of some of you guys. See you simpletons forget that the media, no matter if we win or lose, will spin it as a tu victory some how. The narrative will always be in their favor. (and the refs) don't believe it, look at all the spin that came out of the perceived recruiting win that they had this year. Everyone with half a brain knows why and how things were manipulated but that still doesn't change the fact the that the spin was there anyway. They have continually repeated revisionist history and controlled the narrative for the last 60 years why do you think that will change.

No one on here can make a valid argument for playing them again. And I stress the statement of validity. Some of you in your feeble minds for no other than selfish reason can come up with an argument that will benefit Texas A&M University athletic department, to ever deal with them again. Nothing more than emotional needs and like someone posted earlier to have bragging rights around the water cooler. Those are far from valid reasons to play them again. 100 year old rivalry, family ties, recruiting wars, yada, yada, yada. Still only reasons fueled by emotional needs. Some of you are probably the same ones who were against an SEC move. To me you seem to be needy and cant move on. Which again is not a valid reason to play them but an emotional need that you think( and I do stress your opinion) needs to be filled. Let it go.

Texas A&M athletics does not need anything from Texas University at Austin. They are worse than any cancer you could contract as a comparison. They are putrid to the core and do not have the ability to ever think that anyone is there equal. No matter if we played and drove them in the ground. It's a culture ingrained in their very being and there is nothing that can change that. Nothing. So the sooner you clowns realize that you are playing with a sack full of vipers that are to be left alone at all costs the better this thing will be.

I cringe to think our administration will ever be swayed to play them again. Cause if we ever open that Pandora's box, I fear that it will be a very bad decision and their full and true colors will again be exposed for what they truly are. The only problem with that is that we would have given up any advantage we have gained . And in less than one recruiting cycle we would forfeit everything we have worked for to get to this point. And it will be a point of no return.

A tree is known by it's fruit. If something looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck... well you get the picture. They are best left alone at all costs. Their history should compel you to consider carefully what you wish for. Unless you are truly that shortsighted. And if that's the case then you yourself need some help cause you are truly a needy individual.

Nice rant, Day!

After we win a national title, we'll talk to tu...maybe.
tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:

Texas A&M athletics does not need anything from Texas University at Austin. They are worse than any cancer you could contract as a comparison. They are putrid to the core and do not have the ability to ever think that anyone is there equal. No matter if we played and drove them in the ground. It's a culture ingrained in their very being and there is nothing that can change that. Nothing. So the sooner you clowns realize that you are playing with a sack full of vipers that are to be left alone at all costs the better this thing will be.

Yeah, gonna quote all this for truth.
ckwarren33
quote:
Don't be such a baby.

Now that we are in the SEC the paradigm has shifted much more than you realize. This league takes care of its own and we play by SEC rules now. WE are the big dog now, not tu. When the rivalry eventually renews, and indeed it will at some point, a lot of things will be controlled by the SEC including tv partners and even referees half the time. And I don't see our league allowing tu alums to ever referee an A&M/tu game - EVER.

So while your poker analogy is cute, it is no longer reality.
When you play a cheater who is ONLY interested in winning and the $$ that come with it, you can bet (heavily) that cheater's gonna cheat. The SEC abides by the contracts it signs. So if A&M were set to play whorn, the SEC would NOT cancel a contract after the first game involving cheating. Meanwhile, A&M could lose ground in propaganda war for recruits.

No thank you. The SEC is big-boy football. The Big-12 is junior varsity. A&M should not be rewarding any Big-12 team with a regular series. That is especially true for the manipulating, cheating, moneywhorns. The Big-12 is like a case of crablice. It might be fun to Deliverance them, but once the crabs take hold, it's WORK to get 'em off.
AGinHI
AG
quote:
quote:

Nice rant, Day!

After we win a national title, we'll talk to tu...maybe.

After we win several...then...maybe.
doubledegreeAG
AG
Even before and since the formation of the Big 12, the sips told us that OU was more important than us. We were just the biggest of the SWC guppies swimming in the sips wake.

Even if the game does come back, our game with Alabama will be more significant to our season. Bama is who we need to beat every year. Texas is irrelevant.
homebuildingag
AG
quote:
The people that still want to play tu are like that guy you wanted to punch in the face in college because he had met some chick who was "SO HAWT!" and kept getting cheated on by her. Only after spending an ungodly amount of money on **** for her in addition to her 3rd boob job, did he finally kick her to the curb because she was caught boning his brother at their grandmother's funeral.

She had a 3 boobs!?!?!
MorgansPoint
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.