Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Games on Apple TV?

9,304 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by R A G O N K
Old 300 Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm looking at alternatives to cable (I currently have UVerse), so I'd like to hear from those with Apple TV and other streaming devices what your experience is with being able to get all games. Can you get the games on SEC Network through WatchESPN? How about the games on CBS? What are the pros and cons?
bigfoot10s
AG
Sec network games show on watchESPN

Not sure about getting cbs games. Could possibly get the live broadcast on their sports app. I know it worked for NFL this year
Jock 07
AG
Uh you'd still have to have a tv provider.
WILDMAN95
AG
You get all the ESPN feeds thru watch ESPN, but only if your TV provider has a deal with espn. Ditching your uverse won't work.
panhandlefarmer
AG
You can get ESPN and the SEC Network with Sling TV for less than $30 a month. Add Netflix for less than $10 and you are pretty set for entertainment and sports. Word is that HBO will be offering something online or on Sling TV soon as well. You do have to buy an adapter like Roku for a one-time $99 purchase to get it to work on your television. I have everything I want except the occasional HBO series and I cut my bill by 1/3.
Post removed:
by user
runontexas
AG
I too am contemplating this issue
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
For the time being, if you are not paying for cable or satellite, you cannot legally stream ESPN content. You can download the Watch ESPN app on an Apple TV but it will ask you for your log in credentials.

ESPN holds the key to the Cable/Satellite bundled services universe. Pretty much every sports lover out there only has cable for the sports networks. As soon as ESPN decided they can make more money selling their streaming channels directly to the public, the entire thing is going to crumble as all those customers ditch their providers and get only what they want through streaming.

saw em off
Ditch Sat/Cable, get your Apple TV (I like Roku better), if a game is on CBS, you can watch it on cbssports.com, if not, pop over to firstrowsports with your laptop hooked to your TV.

I pay $8 a month (Netflix) for TV and still watch live sports. Been doing this for about 3 years now.
aggie1944
Firstrowsports has been seized.
Post removed:
by user
Bowlinag
AG
I have Uverse and will be keeping it. I'm going to offer up my login and password to anyone for $10/month.

With that you get.

HBO GO
Starz
Cinemax
Showtime
ESPN

Also the Uverse App lets you watch live TV on your device.

Come on people.

(Kidding by the way)

But, if you had a group of friends willing to help flip the bill for one household, it can be done. I really do have about 5 or six friends using my log in.
hurst03
AG
What do you do for a DVR?
Post removed:
by user
Al Bula
AG
quote:
As soon as ESPN decided they can make more money selling their streaming channels directly to the public, the entire thing is going to crumble as all those customers ditch their providers and get only what they want through streaming.
This.
eAGer
AG
Sling TV with the Sports Extra package ftw. $25/mo, decent selection of channels I actually enjoy, including SECN. The wife even gets her HGTV fix. For games on CBS, HD antenna in the attic. If I need a DVR during football season, I'll either go Tivo or hook up a PC with a tuner and recorder. You pay up front for the equipment, and with Tivo there's a monthly fee, but no fee for PC recording once you get it set up. I also have an Amazon Prime membership for extra programming and the shipping benefits. For $100/year, that's kind of a no-brainer. Parents have a Netflix sub that they share with me. A Fire TV Stick plays it all, except for the OTA stuff. (Oh, look at that! Free Fire TV Stick when you sign up for SlingTV!)
Post removed:
by user
aggiematt07
AG
Extra sports package left out LHN
BBDP
AG
I have watched the last two Aggie games on Sling Tv. Saturday night something went wrong and I was unable to watch the last 5 min. . My Roku was still working (Netflix worked) so it was something with sling. It was not that big of a deal but it could have been if the game had been closer.

I have never had cable and was trying this out for the Aggies only.

$26 per month is not as cheep as I would have liked but I am going to give it a try to finish out basketball season. The quality is HD and it does not show commercials (except for ESPN's) which is nice.

Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
One "solution", which is ethically and legally questionable, is to get a log in from a friend or relative who doesn't ming you having access to their account. Not that I am recommending it.
panhandlefarmer
AG
From what I understand, Dish owns Sling TV. They started it to attract the under 30 crowd that is not signing up for cable. They are likely to raise the rates if there is a mass exodus from cable/satellite to Sling.

http://www.cnet.com/news/sling-tv-everything-you-need-to-know/

For me, I got tired of paying for all the things I don't watch just to get ESPN and the SEC Network. We dropped Dish satellite service that was costing me $128/month and subscribed to two devices on Netflix for $8/month. That satisfied my wife and kids for programming.

I was missing sports and I have to put up an antennae to get the digital signal, so Sling is a great option for $25 and we get CNN for news. It may now be as good as the programming for $128, but for well under 1/3 of the cost, we won't miss Fox News and HBO that much.
Post removed:
by user
Quito
AG
quote:
I have Uverse and will be keeping it. I'm going to offer up my login and password to anyone for $10/month.

With that you get.

HBO GO
Starz
Cinemax
Showtime
ESPN

Also the Uverse App lets you watch live TV on your device.

Come on people.

(Kidding by the way)

But, if you had a group of friends willing to help flip the bill for one household, it can be done. I really do have about 5 or six friends using my log in.

You can absolutely do this (although pretty sure it's not legal).

I have multiple family members who use my logins/passwords...heck, my sister only has Apple TV and my password.

I have a friend's Sunday Ticket password, but they wised up and only one person can log on at a time and it does not work on Appletv....only a mobile device and it won't mirror.
saw em off
quote:
Firstrowsports has been seized.
No it hasn't. I just went to it. Variations of their URLs are always popping up.
panhandlefarmer
AG
True. You can subscribe right before football season and drop it after. Or during the NCAA tournament and then drop it after.

The free Fire Stick offer allows you to watch it on a HD television, but it is only free with 3 months of Sling TV paid in advance.

William Larue Weller
AG
I just signed up for Sling TV. It really seems to be a great service, plus I got a Roku 3 for 50% off. Pretty great deal.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
aTmDave
AG
Kodi, formerly known as XBMC. Free and if u get the genesis addon, all the TV shows and movies you can think of...
kota
AG
HD rabbit ears for your Tv will get you the major networks. No cable, no espn.
BBDP
AG
quote:
Just completed the 7 Day " Free" Sling TV Trial

Just some random thoughts:

The picture quality/streaming was pretty decent.

Used it on Roku--so it took me a little getting use to the controls

I could not get the SEC Network + programming. If is was on it was hidden very well in the menu.

It does have some potential

just my .02

It has SECNetwork.
I am very pleased but people coming from cable will miss DVR abilities.
Post removed:
by user
1876er
AG
quote:
Ditch Sat/Cable, get your Apple TV (I like Roku better), if a game is on CBS, you can watch it on cbssports.com, if not, pop over to firstrowsports with your laptop hooked to your TV.

I pay $8 a month (Netflix) for TV and still watch live sports. Been doing this for about 3 years now.

Do you also steal food, gas, and clothes?
The Lost
quote:
As soon as ESPN decided they can make more money selling their streaming channels directly to the public, the entire thing is going to crumble as all those customers ditch their providers and get only what they want through streaming.

Doubtful though, sling tv, + Netflix is almost as much as I pay for cable, and get 2 tb dvr. They'll javk up individual channels too much for it to make sense
MaroonGoons2020
AG
I tried watching the Texas A&M vs. South Carolina game using my Apple Tv through the watchespn App. Bad idea. Lots of buffering issues and freezes. I was also reading at the time that others were having issues with the game watching it using the watchespn app regardless of the device. Apparently, when it is a high profile game, the WatchEspn App struggles. Maybe it is better now, but it wasn't then. I don't know if sling is any better for streaming a high demand game, but if you want reliability, don't rely on the WatchEspn App for big games unless it has gotten better. Can any of you all confirm that sling does a good job at playing games with many viewers tuned in.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.