Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Historic financial boon for SEC West coaches

5,845 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by aggiehawg
MSU/SECALUM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/27/historic-financial-boon-for-sec-west-coaches/
Tamu_mgm
AG
That is flat out insane. Nobody wants to win worse than the SEC West.
Tree Hugger
AG
Wow:

All seven SEC west coaches make over $4 Million annually.

All 11 Sun Belt coaches COMBINED made $5.3 Million in 2014.

Onlyeight non-SEC west coached make over $4 Million. (4 B1G, 1 SEC-east, 3
BDF)
Knife_Party
No way all of those guys are worth 4mil a year. Be interesting to see who has won anything of importance in the next 5 yrs. if not an SEC West title, a New Years 6 bowl counts. I've got Sumlin, Malzahn, and Saban.
DallasAg 94
quote:
No way all of those guys are worth 4mil a year. Be interesting to see who has won anything of importance in the next 5 yrs. if not an SEC West title, a New Years 6 bowl counts. I've got Sumlin, Malzahn, and Saban.
It is less about the number of wins as the amount of revenue which can be generated by having a competitive product on the field.

Bama: 12-2
MSStat: 10-3
Ole Miss: 9-4
Auburn 8-5
L$U: 8-5
A&M: 8-5
Arkie: 7-6

Even at 7 or 8 Wins, a team gets a visit to a Bowl game, and keeps the stadiums of 90K+. The risk of dropping below .500 and the instability of a coaching carousel... could cost far more than ponying up a few Mill.
dreyOO
This is why I hope the SEC adds two more teams and rebalances the league a bit.
aggiehawg
AG
Over the next 3-5 years, there will be some coaching changes in the SEC. Spurrier, Richt, Saban, Miles and likely Malzahn will be gone. Spurrier, Saban and Miles retire, and Malzahn leaves for another program, likely the horns. Richt either gets fired outright or is nudged out.
Paul Biegler, Esq.
AG
quote:
Over the next 3-5 years, there will be some coaching changes in the SEC. Spurrier, Richt, Saban, Miles and likely Malzahn will be gone. Spurrier, Saban and Miles retire, and Malzahn leaves for another program, likely the horns. Richt either gets fired outright or is nudged out.
Maroon Skittles
quote:
Malzahn leaves for another program, likely the horns.

I don't post much, so let me take the chance to tell you, AggieHawg, that you are awesome, your posts are great, and I really appreciate your contributions to this site. I'm also sorry that you are married to a Piggie and have to hear that awful sooo piggy all the time.

Now, why do you think Malzahn might go to the horns? This would be a worst case scenario for the Ags. The horns having a really good coach who can also recruit well would really test the theory that both of our programs (Ags + tu) can't be good at the same time for a sustained period.

Thanks.
Dr. Abbott, DDS
I'm a little curious on that Malzahn take as well, Mrs. Hawg.
aggiehawg
AG
Sorry to take so long to get back, busy with my mom, she's having one of her bad days.

General observation is that there is a shift in college ball from defensive minded HCs to offensive minded ones. Only natural because their offense is perceived to be "The Problem." Saban and Patterson addressed their own shortcomings in that respect with hiring some great OCs.

What did Strong do after his disastrous first season?? Doubled down on his existing OC. It is safe to assume the offense will not improve dramatically. Strong is gone in 2 years max. While Briles and Patterson (with his improved OC) are making hay.

The PTB at tu will be clamoring for a true splash hire and one with modern offensive cred. Briles will be too old and crusty and that bridge is burned. They might look hard at Herman at UofH, but another coach from the AAC???* Not a big splash there. Same with Chad Morris at SMU...not enough time for him to establish himself and crappy conference.

They aren't prying Meyer or Harbaugh away from their dream jobs.

No, they will want an SEC coach. And Malzahn will be at the top of the list. Gus can be money-whipped, and a few more seasons of the gauntlet that is the SEC West, he could be easily ready for a change. Auburn is already running in the red now. Maybe they get things back under control, but not seeing Auburn will be able to match the $$$ within the time frame I am seeing for the next coaching move at tu.

If Malzahn for whatever reason doesn't go, then Freeze, Mullen, and Jones will be given looks.

*One of the reasons I found the notion of UofH possibly being an add to the PAC. Herman stays there longer. But if UofH is still in the AAC, just don't see it.
Paul Biegler, Esq.
AG
If you think Auburn can't match Texas in $$, you're gullible.
aggiehawg
AG
Auburn is in the red with nearly 12 million in dismissal costs over the next two years. And that doesn't include current coaching salaries for the Muschamp and Pearl hires. Like I said, they very well may be able to remedy the issue quickly. No guarantees though.
West Point Aggie
AG
So ma'am aggiehawg...you're assumption is Charlie will fail at tu?! He didn't have a stellar year 1 but it's not like he sucked at recruiting in said year...
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
So ma'am aggiehawg...you're assumption is Charlie will fail at tu?! He didn't have a stellar year 1 but it's not like he sucked at recruiting in said year...
Stars do not a successful recruiting class make, not alone. Didn't address his critical needs on the O-line and QB. Plus he kept Shawn Watson, but has mandated he install a different offense, or just faster, or more spread-less zone read, or more power run, or something else maybe.........

Get my point??? He's all over the place.
pfo
AG
aggiehawg! I'm with you on Chollie getting fired in 2 years. He never had a chance.
West Point Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
Stars do not a successful recruiting class make, not alone. Didn't address his critical needs on the O-line and QB. Plus he kept Shawn Watson, but has mandated he install a different offense, or just faster, or more spread-less zone read, or more power run, or something else maybe.........

Get my point??? He's all over the place.

Got it...don't get me wrong...I'm all for tu failing at everything...
DanHo2010
AG
quote:
Auburn is in the red with nearly 12 million in dismissal costs over the next two years. And that doesn't include current coaching salaries for the Muschamp and Pearl hires. Like I said, they very well may be able to remedy the issue quickly. No guarantees though.
SEC Network money will remedy any shortfalls quickly. Besides, Bobby Lowder would open his own pocketbook to keep Auburn from being outbid.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
SEC Network money will remedy any shortfalls quickly. Besides, Bobby Lowder would open his own pocketbook to keep Auburn from being outbid.
No dispute on the Lowder part. And I certainly wasn't knocking Auburn, the opposite. They make relatively quick coaching decisions, but pay the price for them. Chizik was still on the payroll until very recently.

This is more about Malzahn. As long as Saban is at Bama, he's second in the state of Alabama. Have my doubts whether Malzahn and Muschamp will work well together. Malzahn fired Ellis Johnson as DC after the Iron Bowl, despite Malzahn's offensive unit's woeful performance in the RZ. Very quick to place blame, not so much in accepting it. And that game was the very definition of a shoot-out.

But look at it from the horns' perspective. Briles is their nemesis, with Stoops close behind. Who would have the offensive firepower to take them on head-to-head and win?? And remember, Malzahn was a HS coach in Arkansas until not so long ago, probably knows many Texas HS coaches, speaks their lingo and has cred with them. That coupled with his recruiting pipeline throughout the SE??

He's articulate, a Christian without being preachy, has the folksy charm when he needs to...fits the profile of what is required for a HC on the 40 acres.

And I'm sure they could find a room somewhere in DKR where they could keep his wife locked in during games like Auburn does.
DanHo2010
AG
No, I agree that they might make a play for him. I just don't believe that the money would be substantively different.
Bonfire1996
AG
I agree with hawg.

Malzahn will sense an easier path to ten wins outside the SEC West. Texas will get fed up with the sliver again, and will react accordingly.
aggiehawg
AG
Thanks, Bonfire.

Malzahn would check a lot boxes for the horns, and vice versa.

I really hope it doesn't happen. Would rather see Malzahn go out west or to an ACC program, but the timing is the key here.

Maybe Helfrich goes NFL and Oregon comes calling for Malzahn's services before Strong rides off of the 40 acres into the sunset. Nike money could make that happen.
RAB83
AG
I think the sips might make a play for Dabo Swinney. Gus still thinks he can hold his own against Little Nicky (and so far he has). Clemson's not going to get past FSU any time soon, so sipville probably looks good.
aggiehawg
AG
Have to see what Swinney does without Morris.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.