Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Making the trip to Oxford this year

9,832 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by TERRY L
Ags77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LOVE the Ole Miss trip and will do it again this year. We stay in Tupelo... haven't tried the Memphis deal.

Some of my observations: You need to get there VERY early on game day. It just gets too crowded closer to game time. Hard to get around.

The people are nice enough, but I wouldn't say they are as nice as the folks at Bama, State and especially not Aggieland.

The Grove is a must see. I haven't seen anything close to it , as far as tailgating goes.

Their stadium experience is ok, but not near the top on the SEC list at all.

One place they are the TOPS is WOMEN. Best looking collection of girls, women that I have ever seen.

Oxford is a really beautiful place, but not quite as fun as it used to be when the crowds were smaller. It is and will always be , one of my favorite trips overall.
ZoneClubber
AG
quote:
Memphis is a shat hole and is one of most expensive airports to fly into. Book flight now. Stay in Oxford.
this. you are missing out if you don't stay in Oxford, party on the square etc.

don't stay in B'ham for a Bama game. Don't stay in Montgomery for an Auburn game, etc.
Starkvegas
You clearly haven't been hanging around the right people when you come to Starkvegas...I readily admit the Grove and the campus at Ole Piss are aesthetically pleasing, among other things...but the people there are the worst scum that exist in College Football...and that is why I said they are on par with the t-sips in Austin.

Ole Piss can go straight to Hell.
ag92tx
My gf went to ole miss. You're 100% wrong.
miller0926
AG
quote:
I've been to numerous games there, and I am a 25 year season ticket holder at Kyle. All of the awards, publications, critics, etc. ,do not have it wrong. It is the best gameday atmosphere in college football. The people are so hospitable and welcoming, it is about the event ,not the outcome of the game. If you go in arrogant and expecting them to think you are cool, or somehow better than they are, or if you are an obnoxious Aggie , you will be treated as such anywhere you go. It is very southern, very Greek, and very Hospitable. Accept the place as it is and they will go out of their way to make you feel Welcome. Stay in Oxford and get there a day early, otherwise you will miss the whole experience.......Outside of the 'Game" itself, we don't hold a candle to their 'Tailgate".........and there are no finer women anywhere on the planet

This. I've been to every road game since we joined the SEC (except Mizzou), and Ole Miss is right up near the top. I don't understand Aggie's obsession with "hospitality"... so what if they didn't invite you into their tailgate or if there was a little trash talk before the game?
Shooter McGavin
AG
We stayed in Memphis in the downtown area. Hit all the famous eating places, historic sites, Peabody ducks, Graceland, etc.

Beale Street was pretty cool. We really enjoyed Memphis.

Drove down to Oxford - easy drive.

Get there early as it is quite a scene. The most beautiful collection of women is correct. An older gentleman told me that "they raise all the Miss Americas there". Dang right.

Stadium is ok.

Downtown Oxford is pretty cool.
Sex Panther
AG
Ole Miss and The Grove are awesome.

Everybody we hung out with was great. We got invited to a tent right away. If you go in expecting people to be dicks, it's amazing how they probably will be.
Starkvegas
The black bears are an entitled, smug, and arrogant lot...they have no reason to be other than a few self-proclaimed "recruiting championships" over the past decade or so...they have nothing in their trophy case to back up their elitist attitude. They are great at PR spin and always are looking for an angle. I've dealt with them since the 1990's and they haven't changed...probably even more smug now.

As I mentioned, Ole Piss can go straight to Hell.

If you want to take a great SEC road trip, go to Knoxville or Athens...both great towns.
ag92tx
That egg bowl game was fun last year. Boy yall got curb stomped
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
If you want to take a great SEC road trip, go to Knoxville or Athens...both great towns.

I certainly plan on it, every 12 years
Aftermath
AG
Hmmm, let me see....they beat the crap out of state in Egg Bowl, beat them both games in Basketball this year, went to College World Series last year, won SEC tournament in Basketball year before last. 3 straight trips to Field of 64. 3 years in top 25 in football......beautiful women(especially compared the flannel wearing buck-tooth types at starkvegas) ..... beautiful campus( state looks like a Russian prison).......somebody is confused.....Mississippi state is a glorified community college.......Don't miss Gameday at Ole Miss, and if you get a chance , drive over to Starkville for a laugh.
Starkvegas
I know way too many clear headed A&M graduates to fall for this horse hockey...so y'all go sing Kumbaya with the black bears and ogle those dirty dumb whoors...and we'll do our thing. I'll take Dan Mullen and y'all can worship Oxfart and the mirage that it stands for.
ag92tx
Dan Mullen did good job in Oxford last year
Starkvegas
Do you want to play scoreboard? I like A&M and respect everything the University represents. A fellow land grant college garners my respect every day. Your ole piss love festival is completely blinded by female intervention. So arguing with you is not productive at all. You are a t sip.
ag92tx
You sound like a spurned stepchild
Starkvegas
Do you root for the Texas Longhorns on any occasion? If so, you should be banned from ever having any A&M affiliation. It works the same way for the putrid black bears of ole pi$$. I graduated from Mississippi State, which is widely more respected in the business, engineering, agricultural, and veterinarian fields than ole pi$$. You're going to figure this out over time. Until then you might as well be a t-sip.
12thmanfootball
AG
Starkvegas,

You are right on........disregard ag92tx........he is Class of 1991+1, they ain't too sharp.

Hailstate and Gigem Ags.

Go to Hell Old Piss.
ag92tx
quote:
Starkvegas,

You are right on........disregard ag92tx........he is Class of 1991+1, they ain't too sharp.

Hailstate and Gigem Ags.

Go to Hell Old Piss.

I'm a current student ya ding dong
12thmanfootball
AG
Birthdate 1992?????

I should have known, new army pencil neck geek.
ag92tx
Ags06Win
AG
Been to over 50 of the D1 football schools...

Every D1 in Texas, from as far west at Hawaii, to as far east as Virginia... And lots in between: Oklahoma, Tennessee, Oregon State, UNLV, Colorado, etc.

Mississippi State had the kindest, most respectful fans I have ever encountered. Good people, but LONG drive home after the 16 dropped passes!

Heading to Oxford this year, but doubt they are as hospitable!
DC81
AG
Does anyone know about Ole Miss / RV parking availability? Thinking about a road trip.
Ishmael-Ag
AG
Read Faulkner's short story "The Old People". Then see if you can actually find any wilderness in northern Mississippi.
The Lost
Just make sure your expectations are reasonable. Mine were too high so I was like meh.

The grove is cool but it's by no means gods gift to earth. I also think girls wise it's just the same as any other large public school (Uga, tenn, mizzou) sure it beats the vandys and notre dames, but that's a different beast.

Also check out the alcohol rules as they were strick about something (seeing bottles of hard alcohol out maybe?)
ag92tx
Have to pour beer in a cup and supposed to have liquor stored away such as in a cooler or under the table.
Bucketrunner
We went year before last with a group from the 12th Man and stayed in Memphis. Loved the nightlife and Midnight Yell. Bussed to the game in Oxford.

We didn't take in the square, and I regret that. Need to go back sometime just for that. The Grove, however, was pretty underwhelming. When you can't grill or smoke or fry anything - - well, you just get pretty mediocre food. Everybody seemed to be bringing in party trays from somewhere. Not cool. The Aggie tent was pretty impressive, though, and lots of fun.

The people weren't unfriendly, but they were quite reserved. Just polite. During the game, drunk frat boy decided to make an appearance in the Aggie group, and even the sideline "help" was obnoxious. Loved seeing Johnny break their hearts after they CHEERED when he got hurt. That was pure trash.

It was the most poorly organized traffic nightmare I've ever experienced.
Colonel_Janus
I would absolutely kill to go to that game. Those two consecutive Oxford games were electric
twk
AG
My two cents: The Grove is something that you will want to cross off your list, but the experience is somewhat dependent on the weather. It was wet both of our previous trips--I'm going to keep going back to Oxford until I get to see the Grove in sunny, warm weather. The warmer the weather, the better the "scenery." And, make no mistake, it's really the people watching that is the attraction. No open flames means mostly cold finger food and the solo cups are required due to their alcohol policies. There are places with better tailgating, but that's no reason to pass on seeing what the Grove has to offer.

I'm sure that Memphis or the boats have their own attractions, but, in my opinion, to really do Oxford right, at least once you should go on Thursday so that you can eat a couple of places and take some time to see the place at a slower pace than what you will see on gameday.
chick79
AG
We went in 2012 and 2013. First year we stayed in Memphis which I recommend. Traffic especially after the game is a nightmare though. I have enjoyed both visits and the fans in the Grove have always been nice to us!
Aggie Farmer
AG
We took the RV and stayed in the old Westinghouse lot across the highway. Was a mix of Aggies and Ole Miss folks. Had a group of 8 20 something guys that drove down from Chicago next to us. Had no loyalty to either school, but they drank a lot and smoked lots of weed.

Cost around $120 for the weekend. Had a shuttle that ran to and from the game. Was about a mile to stadium if you walked.
Dr. Abbott, DDS
quote:
We took the RV and stayed in the old Westinghouse lot across the highway. Was a mix of Aggies and Ole Miss folks. Had a group of 8 20 something guys that drove down from Chicago next to us. Had no loyalty to either school, but they drank a lot and smoked lots of weed.

Cost around $120 for the weekend. Had a shuttle that ran to and from the game. Was about a mile to stadium if you walked.

What the hell were they doing there?
Aggie Farmer
AG
They were from Northwestern, Univ of Chicago and a few other schools. all friends growing up and said they took a random road trip each year. They had tickets to the game and really enjoyed themselves.
dixichkn
AG
quote:
Traffic especially after the game is a nightmare though.

Good Lord.......this x1000. I think the game a couple of years ago finished about 10:45 local time......by the time we got back to our car, navigated the hellish gridlock around the campus and got back to Memphis, it was right at 3am. And it's just not that damn long a drive. Prepare for this if you're going for the first time. Their shuttle system is about the worst run thing I've ever seen. Don't say I didn't warn you.
TERRY L
You were lucky. We got back to our car well after midnight and got back home to Greenville at 5 in the morning.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.