Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Anyone thinking Kyler is one and done to the MLB

7,373 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by SKY1
Heismanziel
How long do you want to ignore this user?

needs to read MLB rules on drafting players in school.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/draftday/rules.jsp

to MLB... not to the MLB...
Motel California
S
#Pathetic
RagonkForce
If he's smart he doesn't step foot on campus. He takes the MLB money & if he doesn't make it he can always come back & play football later...Drew Henson, Brandon Weedon. MLB money dwarfs NFL money, and the contracts are guaranteed.

STAFF please don't ban me. For some reason I seem to get banned every time I post on this board. No I may not agree with the masses here on some things, but you ban every dissenting opinion?
CrottyKid
AG
I agree, and I think that is what will happen...except I think Kyler will never play college football.
ProudAg16
AG
I'll take that one year, please. Thanks.
Off_The_Wood
AG
I'm a new army piece of **** so I don't know anything...but didn't Kevin initially play baseball before signing at A&M?
marble rye
AG
This whole deal is ****ing ridiculous. It's like we are standing in front of a judge with tu being told, "Since neither will relent, I will cut this child in half so each side can have him."

He is just one kid. One player. Enough already.
Reed10
AG
Yeah we should all chill with KM. Ags are in a good spot. He'll do what he thinks is best for what he wants.

I think another large factor in it is "the glory" aspect of it all. More attention and media surround him if he goes to play college football. He may have to wait 2 years if he doesn't beat out Kyle, but even still, more glory to be had and I think that's important to this Drake Quotin' young man. Best of luck to him wherever he may go. Please let it be us.
Indignitas
AG
Kyler is a BMF any way you slice it
Mateo84
AG
quote:
Kyler is a BMF any way you slice it

Not if he makes the biggest mistake of his life and signs with sippy
Emilio Fantastico
AG
MLB draft rules are simple. If you don't go straight out of high school, you are not eligible for three years.

One and done is not possible.
itsyourboypookie
quote:
MLB draft rules are simple. If you don't go straight out of high school, you are not eligible for three years.

You can go to JC and get around the three year deal according to street agents.
MallalieuAg
AG
I would go pro even though football is my first love. I can always come back.
Heismanziel
quote:

That was the point of my thread? read the link.
KJN86
AG
quote:
If he's smart he doesn't step foot on campus. He takes the MLB money & if he doesn't make it he can always come back & play football later...Drew Henson, Brandon Weedon. MLB money dwarfs NFL money, and the contracts are guaranteed.

STAFF please don't ban me. For some reason I seem to get banned every time I post on this board. No I may not agree with the masses here on some things, but you ban every dissenting opinion?

Drew Henson played college football first. 3 years. Then played MLB.

Like I always say, don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.
TXM Pride
Am I trippin or didn't Russell Wilson play pro baseball at the same time he was playing college football??
TXM Pride
and yes pookie, JUCO as well as D2 and below can get drafted at any time
marble rye
AG
quote:
Wilson played football and baseball for North Carolina State University before transferring to Wisconsin. In 2008, he was named the ACC Rookie of the Year in football and became the first freshman quarterback to receive first team All-ACC honors. Wilson also played minor league baseball for the Tri-City Dust Devils in 2010 and the Asheville Tourists in 2011 as a second baseman.
TAMU74
AG
High order of probability.
Jimtim1216
S
There was an article on the draft process on the MLB site, I believe in December. In their vetting process they will ask the players their plans for college, generally if you are highly sought after recruit in football, even though you might be a first round talent you will generally fall into 3rd round or below. Too much risk of not being able to retain them. Main reason is that after August 15th of the year you are drafted if you are not signed then that team loses the rights to you and there is no compensation for losing out on the drafted player.

So, in short, if he is drafted in the first round then in all probability he will never set foot on campus.

There is also the possibility that a team could take him and he forgoes his scholarship with the school and plays in the minors and the MLB team is paying for his school. Good example of that is Brad Marquez from tech. The Mets even allowed him to skip last season in the minors to get ready for his SR. season at Tech.
Joe Nobody
He is small and he plays second base. It is highly unlikely Kyler will be drafted high enough to be tempted by MLB money.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:

What do you mean according to street agents? That's the rule. Lots of baseball players go that route.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
Am I trippin or didn't Russell Wilson play pro baseball at the same time he was playing college football??

Yeah, so did Ricky Williams... They are just not on scholarship.
Phil Garner
quote:
quote:
quote:

What do you mean according to street agents? That's the rule. Lots of baseball players go that route.

Yep, no secret here. Not a loophole as much as it is just another route.
mpaggie06
AG
quote:
quote:

Yeah, so did Ricky Williams... They are just not on scholarship.
Cedric Benson actually did that, too, with a bit more of a career.
BadMoonRisin
AG
If he wasnt at least considering playing college ball, why the visit to Austin?

If he KNEW for a fact he was going to MLB, he would have just honored his commitment and inked with his father's alma mater and then take the draft money. no need to stir up all this controversy unless he wasn't at least considering playing college ball.
Foxo
AG
He gone.
RagonkForce
quote:
Like I always say, don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

No need to be a ********. Thought Henson played baseball first. Doesn't change what I said in the least.
DCC99
AG
If I was his dad, I'd tell him to take the MLB money. It's the better business decision, and frankly much better for his long term health. If he plays college football, he could be another JFF. But with his size, it is doubtful he will be a NFL QB.

It could come down to: 1) How much does he love football? 2) How important is the college experience? Is it worth risking MLB money?
Womackster
AG
quote:
He one.
FIFY
MorgansPoint
AG
MLB
Nino Brown
Has anyone ever went top ten or twenty in MLB draft and went CFB instead? MLB is hard to watch these days but what would be the downside into taking the money playing a few years in baseball, working with you father in the offseason then enroll at 21 bigger and stronger if the baseball thing isn't working. Hope I'm wrong though
SKY1
Here's an interview with one of his Allen O Linemen, Cody Wheeler (Tech Commit) saying he knows where he's going but isn't saying anything. Jump to the 4:40 mark to see what he has to say/doesn't say.
http://fridaynightglory.com/ot-69-cody-wheeler/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.