Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Nail in the coffin for A&M vs. LSU on Thanksgiving....or any game on T-Day

17,889 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Scientific
AgDotCom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Get rid of it.

Sleve McDichael
AG
Agreed. Should be Saturday primetime.
TwoPercenterAg
AG
They should try to do a Texas A&M vs Texas game on Thanksgiving to see what kind of viewership ESPN could gain.
The Debt
Ah yes, its much more difficult to compete against a single NFL game on a federal holiday versus six dozen college games on a random saturday,

idiot.
Spicewood Ag
AG
Go Cowboys
swc93
AG
NFL owns every program when it is on. An ESPN college game getting a 1.4 isn't shabby.
Gilligan
AG
I don't care about the ratings - I am at the game. leave it there!
Sisyphus
I don't know. Kind of seems worth it to show that we can double the viewership that the sips get even when they're playing a team fighting to get into the playoffs and our opponent was unranked.
PatrickJ1994
Personally, I like it on T'giving night. Don't change it!
WolfofNG
AG
College Playoff did outdraw the NFL playoff games that night. Maybe it's not so detrimental anymore
Texas Tide
AG
quote:
Ah yes, its much more difficult to compete against a single NFL game on a federal holiday versus six dozen college games on a random saturday,

idiot.

The crazy thing...it actually is.
Fitch
AG
Saturday
DannyDuberstein
AG
Saturday. A Turkey Day game has run its course and the ratings bear that out. Time to let it go.
Bankeraggie
AG
It is amazing, but NFL ratings are just unstoppable. But 1.4 isn't too bad, and if we had been less of a train wreck, ratings would have been higher.
akm91
AG
Not really a nail in the coffin. If ESPN can't do better than 1.4 for the same time slot then they wouldn't change it. I suspect 1.4 on Turkey Day post NFL games is actually pretty damn good ratings for the suits at ESPN.
JeffHamilton82
quote:
Agreed. Should be Saturday primetime.

Except the teams weren't good enough to warrant primetime. That slot went to Bama-Auburn, deservedly so. We would probably have played the 11am slot, which SC-Clem got. So instead of 3 million viewers, we would have had 2 million viewers.

Someone post the "brilliant" gif and then delete this thread.
Madden
It could be because both teams sucked ass. Shocking, I know
Tamu_mgm
AG
College football almost always gets lower ratings than the NFL regardless of the day. People still want to watch rivalries in college football on Thanksgiving.
FourAggies
AG
Thanksgiving day doesn't make sense anymore. It's not an LSU tradition and moreso it can't be a tradition when it only happens every other year. We should be substantially better in ratings on Saturday.
Frok
AG
Saturday after would be much easier to plan for. Plus A&M can't ruin my Thanksgiving night that way.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
College games are way more fun than NFL, don't get the appeal.
BTKAG97
AG
I'd prefer the NFL to get rid of the crappy Thursday night games.
Ag4coal
Great stat.
One Tooth Man
This is a bad argument. Put our Thanksgiving day game on national TV versus Cable and our numbers would increase. The trend is showing net losses in cable subscribers as well.
Texaggie7nine
My buddies that live around the country saw 2 games of A&M. One was the SC and the other was LSU. Because they were on days without competition and they didn't have ish to do.
7nine
Agsuffering@bulaw
Saturday!

Thursday means burning an off-week the week before. On the old 11-game schedule, that was not a big deal because teams got several bye weeks a year. Now you get 1, maybe 2 in some years.

This past year, MSU had an off week and we did not. IT showed. We went into the Bama game having played 7 straight, and 3 straight against good SEC opponents. It also showed. Do we still lose both of those games? yes. Do they both roll the f- out of us and cost us a recruit or 2? Even if the answer is maybe, it must to be considered.

If the L$U game were getting huge exposure, it might be worth it. But a 1.7 rating is trash for a match-up between 2 SEC programs with our levels of Alumni support.
Sq 17
apples to apples
A&M v LSU pulled similar numbers as USCe V Clem
yes bama V auburn primetime did better
but A&M v LSU is more likely o be
11 am on ESPN than 7 pm
10PennyNail
AG
I will always and forever prefer that the Ags play on Thanksgiving, just like they did while I was growing up. I don't care about ratings and I don't care about the match-up. What I care about is either going to the game and avoiding my families on Thanksgiving or having an escape to watch TV on Thanksgiving. For as long as we have played on Thanksgiving, some people like it and others do not.
smokeythebear
AG
Well you'll get your wish when the game is in Baton Rouge.
Womackster
AG
quote:

idiot.
You're such an idiot.
smokeythebear
AG
quote:
quote:

idiot.
You're such an idiot.
YOU'RE such an idiot.

See how easy that was?
Kemo Sabe
Unquestionably, College football has lost thanksgiving to the pros. Time to move on and make sure we don't lose Friday and Saturdays after Thanksgiving, either. A&M/LSU, Ark/Missouri, Ol'Miss/Miss State, Alabama/Auburn. That's four time slots for two days with conference matchups on Friday & Saturday.
W
AG
the days are definitely numbered for A&M vs. LSU on Thanksgiving. The NFL has done the damage. The game already will not be on T-Day when it's played in Baton Rouge.

keep in mind...A&M & t.u. played 40 times...on some day other than T-Day
spanky
AG
Network vs cable did it in..the switch and push this year on NBC vs NFL Network of the past. Only chance it had was for CBS to do a primetime T-day college game with a Cowboys lead in. That didn't happen, and likely never would since CBS isn't trying to show the SEC package is worth anymore than they are paying for it.
JaySugar
I still wish we could go back to playing tu Thanksgiving weekend.
There is such a difference in the atmosphere of the stadium when we play tu when you compare it to last year's LSU game. The LSU game is great, but doesn't have the same excitement level. Now, if both A&M and LSU are ranked then it would be fine. But if we are both having average years, then the game is sort of anti-climatic.

When we are playing tu to end the season, the excitement level is super high, even when both teams are average. Just look at the last game we played them in '11. Both teams had very mediocre years, but that didn't effect the game at all.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.