Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Article on us reaching out to Chavis

9,439 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Aginnebraska
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/21/report-texas-am-reached-out-to-lsu-dc-john-chavis/

Sorry guys, I just don't see this happening. The first comment unfortunately hits the nail on the head.

Our defense is a dumpster fire. I don't see any big time coach wanting to touch it with a 50 foot pole. Hope I'm wrong,
Mateo84
AG
Incoming
cevans_40
AG
Germans
Philip J Fry
AG
No kidding. I posted on that original thread. This is a different article.
vander54
S
I dint get calling our defense a dumpster fire. We have talent and we have more comming in. We just need someone to COACH them and worst case scenario we would be middle of the pack on defense. Its not like we don't have talent.
Fabius
AG
I agree with Vander. We have the talent and resources, just need the coaching. A good defensive coordinator will come if they are getting a raise.
Philip J Fry
AG
We were fruckeb playing Honeycutt last year because of our lack of depth. We have way more issues on D than just a bad coach.
amercer
AG
The only way this happens is if Les takes the Michigan job.

I hope he does
vander54
S
quote:
We were fruckeb playing Honeycutt last year because of our lack of depth. We have way more issues on D than just a bad coach.

We have safeties comming in. We have a solid group at dline and we have a few good looking young lb. I think we have the talent. Plus a good coordinator can coach these players to max their potential.
Tylerjo97
AG
quote:
quote:

We have safeties comming in. We have a solid group at dline and we have a few good looking young lb. I think we have the talent. Plus a good coordinator can coach these players to max their potential.
Skinny Dennis
Is it Sumlin's intention to get publically turned down by EVERY decent DC in the nation before settling on some no-name? Good God this makes us look terrible.
BMX Bandit
I don't think we are getting Chavis. But to say its because he thinks we are a dumpster fire is just dumb.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Let me get this straight - according to the "geniuses" here in the zoo:

1) We're Texas A&M dammit so we can moneywhip any DC into coming here,
AND
2) because we're Texas A&M the only DCs worthy of coming here are the top shelf name brand ones, like Muschamp or Foster,
BUT
3) no DC worth his salt would want to touch us with a 50ft pole because we are the worst defensive unit in the history of football.
AND
4) by pursuing them we're somehow showing weakness.
ALSO
5) We can't let anybody know who we're pursuing because when one of the message-board rumored big name DCs doesn't sign with us it shows how pathetic we are
YET
6) since Sumlin isn't letting us all in on his plan, that's an obvious sign that he has no plan, is getting turned down by everyone, and he doesn't care about defense.

So somehow Sumlin must only pursue one of those three names AND let all of in on the negotiations, BUT at the same time do it quietly so no one finds out we're pursuing them because that would show weakness. HOWEVER, it doesn't really matter since no DC worth a damn will come here, even though we can moneywhip anybody.

Some of you just need to stop watching football altogether.
swc93
AG
My overall take on the D this year was they were in the right position to make the play, over and over again, they just flat out stink at tackling.

need to hire a tackling coordinator
TheBestDammit12
AG
quote:

AND
2) because we're Texas A&M the only DCs worthy of coming here are the top shelf name brand ones, like Muschamp or Foster,
BUT
3) no DC worth his salt would want to touch us with a 50ft pole because we are the worst defensive unit in the history of football.
AND
ALSO
5) We can't let anybody know who we're pursuing because when one of the message-board rumored big name DCs doesn't sign with us it shows how pathetic we are
YET
6) since Sumlin isn't letting us all in on his plan, that's an obvious sign that he has no plan, is getting turned down by everyone, and he doesn't care about defense.

So somehow Sumlin must only pursue one of those three names AND let all of in on the negotiations, BUT at the same time do it quietly so no one finds out we're pursuing them because that would show weakness. HOWEVER, it doesn't really matter since no DC worth a damn will come here, even though we can moneywhip anybody.

Fenrir
quote:

AND
BUT
AND
ALSO
YET

It's almost as though people have different opinions.
dannyv
AG
quote:
quote:

AND
BUT
AND
ALSO
YET

Yes, it turns out if you combine the opinion of everyone on a message board and try to act as if they belong to one person, that person makes very little sense.
Ishmael-Ag
AG
FL_Ag1998

Brilliant summation of why we call it the zoo where every f'n animal spews out crap with the convoluted idea that something may just stick on the wall before the Germans actually bomb the moon.
FL_Ag1998
AG
And yet, all of our detractors (usually former BDF conference mates) will imply we're a cult and the personification of group-think.

Personally, I think schizophrenic defines the zoo as accurately as possible.
Bottlehead90
AG
FL AG nailed it
Ishmael-Ag
AG
I used to work with schizophrenics and they usually make a lot more sense. Maybe we should hand out free anti-psychotics to everyone who joins the zoo.
agtastic johnson
Chavis signs new deal with L$U...3 yrs/$4 million
HECUBUS
AG
Not signed, but LSU did up the offer to three years.
HECUBUS
AG
5yr/10m probably *would* do the trick.
CrottyKid
AG
Chavis has had the benefit of great athletes. Not sure he would do as well here.
chipotle
quote:
quote:
quote:

AND
BUT
AND
ALSO
YET

Yes, it turns out if you combine the opinion of everyone on a message board and try to act as if they belong to one person, that person makes very little sense.
Sisyphus
Don't put this on Sumlin. He is looking for a DC. Is he supposed to not call any name DC and refuse calls from them?

Besides, any time a big name school -- and by virtue of being a school with money in the SEC A&M is officially a big name school -- has an opening, the agents of coaches (also known as "sources") will put it out in the press that their client has been contacted. They will hold off on signing an extension as long as they can just to see if their current school will increase the terms of the contract extension.
HECUBUS
HECUBUS
AG
quote:
Any DC worth his salt knows this

Nice job Staff! Taking out the trash.
Meridian Ag
I agree! We suck because we rap!!!
Meridian Ag
Not!
Aginnebraska
AG
Trying to steal a top notch DC away from another big program seems doomed from the start. If the market dictates that it takes 2MM to lure a top DC to your program then any other big programs is looking at the same economics (plus the uproar and chaos costs around losing your DC during bowl season). Which means top DC's wont relocate solely for money. It has to be a step up in prestige, a stop closer to home or a search for stability. Leaving a winning program for $ where you are already happy just wont happen IMO.
hunter2012
AG
You do realize at least one of your criteria applies to Chavis...
Aginnebraska
AG
Good cuz I was specifically talking about Chavis. He will ultimately get a raise from LSU because it will cost LSU the exact same amount in the end to identify and lure a replacement in like I said. PLus the turmoil created in a high profile DC search.

Unless he WANTS to leave this will just be a fruitless pursuit.
hunter2012
AG
It was also stated in the thread last night that apparently Miles is a pain to work for...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.