Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Sumlin

17,174 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Brazos Ag 1970
Cancelled
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That is all
Mayhaw Jelly
AG
He's got this. Proud of him for refusing to let kids dictate his business decisions.
Heismanziel

Deputy Travis Junior
He needs to hire a DC before thumbs up posts. This can turn out okay, but dumpster fire hire isn't out of the question either
Two Gun Corcoran
MEENag
AG
Still support him 100%. I'm embarrassed by the whiny babies that seem to have taken over this board. Sumlin knows what he's doing and he will get the best DC who is really available.
aggiehawg
AG
It really is quite ridiculous that Sumlin even keeps Looch out of the loop, but an 18 year old kid expects to be Sumlin's confidante??

Just wait until Malik expects Charlie Strong to explain his innermost secrets to him during late night dorm room chats.
CentexAg
AG
Jan 2nd
eAGer
Mayhaw Jelly
AG
Imagine the fallout if Sumlin had disclosed information to Malik, and Malik proceeded to commit to Strong.

If Sumlin had that read, the dialogue could be much more positive in all of this.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
quote:
He's got this. Proud of him for refusing to let kids dictate his business decisions.

The kids ARE the business decisions.
Mayhaw Jelly
AG
Exactly, and if you smell a rat you proceed with caution.
Bottlehead90
AG
I trust Sumlin
BallHittinBoy
I'm in for the long run.
Sean_Jones
What exactly has Sumlin done that makes you trust him? Why do you think he knows what he is doing?
RebelAg10
AG
To be fair, these kids are his business.
CentexAg
AG
quote:
quote:

The kids ARE the business decisions.

No- The program is the business- the kids are just one component and I would argue not the biggest part. The coaching staff is the biggest part and Sumlin kept his priorities straight.
Bernie13
Why in the hell do people think kids are so entitled to know all of the business. Blows my mind.
Hello Newman
I would have less confidence in a coach that would let an 18 year old kid dictate the program.
Clown Question
I think Sumlin knew Malik was going tu with or without a DC. If you look at his entire recruitment and read the article from espn about it afterwards, it is clear the family pressure was going to get him to tu one way or another.
fredfredunderscorefred
What exactly has Sumlin done to give people trust in him? Anything about "not letting a kid dictate him" etc is pure conjecture unless you know one hundred pct without a doubt what has gone on and is going on behind the scenes. Hell it could just as easily be that he WANTED to tell Malik but he doesn't have a DC so he couldn't. Fact is nobody knows...not even that looch guy.
I like sumlin. Obviously want him to succeed. But I can't fathom what people have seen that give them such blind trust.
Sid Farkas
AG
Hi coach!!

Just win f***g football games!!!!!

Yours truly,
Me
mpaggie06
AG
quote:
Why in the hell do people think kids are so entitled to know all of the business. Blows my mind.

Why in he hell do people not think a kid would have to know who his DC is going to be (not to mention what the rest staff will look like) before he could bet the next 4-5 years and potentially millions of dollars on that decision? You morans can't see the forest for the trees.
TMF
AG
I support him. These hires need to be good though.
NavyAg92
AG
quote:
I think Sumlin knew Malik was going tu with or without a DC. If you look at his entire recruitment and read the article from espn about it afterwards, it is clear the family pressure was going to get him to tu one way or another.
I think a lot of people forgot about the 'family" element. Wasn't his mom pushing for tu during the entire process? Parents do have a major impact on a young man's decision, IMO. Oh well.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
What exactly has Sumlin done to give people trust in him? Anything about "not letting a kid dictate him" etc is pure conjecture unless you know one hundred pct without a doubt what has gone on and is going on behind the scenes. Hell it could just as easily be that he WANTED to tell Malik but he doesn't have a DC so he couldn't. Fact is nobody knows...not even that looch guy.
I like sumlin. Obviously want him to succeed. But I can't fathom what people have seen that give them such blind trust.
It isn't conjecture:

quote:
Though he agreed with the case his parents and brother Mike made for Texas, Malik felt he had to give A&M one last shot. So once the tense family discussions wrapped up, he called Kevin Sumlin.

The linebacker wants to keep the contents of that conversation to himself, out of respect for a coach he's admired throughout this two-year process. Simply put, Malik says, the conversation did not go well. He needed to know who his coordinator and position coach would be. That question couldn't be answered.

"Malik is very emotionally invested in things," Mike Jefferson said. "When he feels betrayed in any type of way, you're setting yourself up for failure. I think A&M not contacting him about the defensive coordinator had a major influence."

ETA: Forgot the LINK
sharpdressedman
I have always trusted KS to do the best for the program, even during the recent weeks when he apparently has had difficulty finding a good DC. I have never trusted the two recruits in question to be anything other than attention ****** who are self-absorbed with their present state of celebrity.

I believe KS refused to compromise his personal and professional ethics by caving to the demands of a kid to disclose details of what are likely ongoing professional contract negotiations. The kid and his family are the epitome of arrogance, and I am pleased they will be taking their ****-show to Austin.

The other kid has made himself the fool of the recruiting season.

Our program is better-off without the both of them.

JMO
CentexAg
AG
quote:
But I can't fathom what people have seen that give them such blind trust.

Tuscaloosa- 2012. Cotton bowl- January 2013. Colombia South Carolina- 2014, Auburn- 2014.

Top 5 Recruiting class last year, another one this year with a strong finish. Highest final ranking in decades. Making A&M relevant again. Starting the SEC off in a much better way than we started the Big 12 off with. 1st heisman trophy in 50 years.

Was JFF his alibi in most of this- yes. If Sherm was still here you'd be asking Johnny who? Who's that?
fredfredunderscorefred
Hawg, I see that but how do people get from that to "sumlin wouldn't let the kid dictate anything--good for him--go coach!"
The only thing we've seen is that Malik wanted us...his parents wanted texas...he wanted to know who the DC would be or have ANY bit of info provided to him...and that didn't happen. The WHY it didn't hapen---nobody knows. Unless I'm missing something?
fredfredunderscorefred
Centex---guess we can (hopefully respectfully) agree to disagree---seems more obvious that JFF was the main reason for all that...not sumlin. Just my opinion based on how season went without JFF. And I'm not the biggest fan of JFF--just know he was a ridiculously good college athlete
Brewmaster
AG
quote:
Wasn't his mom pushing for tu during the entire process?
Yep, Mom and him were looking for any excuse not to commit to A&M - no DC fit the bill
Bernie13
I get that kids want to know who they are playing for but NO PLAYER is above the program. You can't put the program in jeapordy and leak out info before it's time. This hire could be the most important we have had in years and no way should KDS blow it because of one player.
AnalogyAg
Nice to see the voice of reason rising to the top.

of course, I think 90% of the people complaining weren't really aggies- just sips and bears and the such trying to wreak havoc..... small lives.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Hawg, I see that but how do people get from that to "sumlin wouldn't let the kid dictate anything--good for him--go coach!"
The only thing we've seen is that Malik wanted us...his parents wanted texas...he wanted to know who the DC would be or have ANY bit of info provided to him...and that didn't happen. The WHY it didn't hapen---nobody knows. Unless I'm missing something?
Doesn't matter which side of the boat one jumps from, still get wet.

Some things are above his pay-grade. The kid demanded to know something that his HC wasn't going to tell him. Pretty sure that same scenario will play out again and again over the next few years.

Besides, from the link I posted, it was very clear that his family was adamant about tu, to the point that voices were raised. They were never going to allow him to make his own decision. His family believed he wasn't SEC ready. As did Sumlin, I suspect.
Maroon Flash
AG
To those who say we are better off with Malik, no we aren't.

His Mom was pushing stronghorn and he had a legitimate concern as to who would be coaching him. Sumlin was right not to give him confidential information.

Evidently Sumlin is recruiting high character young men. We are without a DC, a WR Coach, and an OL Coach and we have one decommitment. We should have put out another DT offer when Mack took his first visit.

If we make solid hires on the Coaching jobs, I will give Sumlin a thumbs up. It appears he recognized where the problems were.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.