Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Remember the Florida Gators

5,748 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by MaterialAg
DM44
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bringing in great recruiting classes is only half of the solution to becoming a dominant team in the SEC.
A team has to have good coaching too - on offense and defense.
We must have coaches who can teach outstanding fundamentals - especially on defense and OL.

Gators recruiting classes:

2010 - #1
2011 - #12
2012 - #4
2013 - #3
2014 - #9

These classes didn't save Muschamp's job.

I hope Sumlin is bringing in some good coaches who know how to get the most out of these players and not just some unpolished "gems" he plans to mentor into becoming good coaches.

In addition to a top DC who is a great teacher, Sumlin really needs to find a good OL coach. Move Anderson to recruiting coordinator. That's what he's good at.

SARATOGA
but much like Texas from 2011 - 2013

If you don't have a quarterback, nothing works.

And with those awesome Florida recruiting passes, they still had no quarterback to run the show.

Brewmaster
AG
quote:
Sumlin really needs to find a good OL coach. Move Anderson to recruiting coordinator. That's what he's good at.
agree 1 billion percent

unfortunately I can hear the answers now in the presser next year (excuses for our OL play)
aggiedent
AG
QB QB QB

You have to have someone talented running the show to have a great team.
SARATOGA
Look, I'm being dead serious. We had the best offensive lines IN THE COUNTRY for 2 years with Sherman's recruits.

We can't hire him to drive around Texas and recruit the Maroon Goons ?!

Just O-Line Recruiter for 300k per year. Nothing else. Just bring us the good stock.

WHY NOT ?

AgsMyDude
AG
quote:
Look, I'm being dead serious. We had the best offensive lines IN THE COUNTRY for 2 years with Sherman's recruits.

We can't hire him to drive around Texas and recruit the Maroon Goons ?!

Just O-Line Recruiter for 300k per year. Nothing else. Just bring us the good stock.

WHY NOT ?

Would you want to go back to work for an employer that fired you over the phone?
phatbeast
AG
Well he is unemployed right now.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
I don't think our problem the last 2 years has been recruiting OL talent. It has been coaching and improving it.
DM44
On CBS Sports/College Football...

They are going over the bowl game opponents.

While discussing the Liberty Bowl, Randy Cross commented the Aggies were known the last two seasons for their offensive line dominance. He went on to say that this year, the OL has not played well even though most of the OL are returning players.

Is that a polite way to call out our OL Coach Anderson?

Nothing we didn't already know, but I found it interesting that OL problems are being discussed on a national show.

For you kids who don't know who he is, Randy Cross was on the 49ers OL for 10 years or so and has several super bowl rings.
Texas Tide
AG
It's all about QB. New offensives schemes mean the offense is getting more snaps than ever before which means the one person who touches the ball every snap is suddenly getting 20-30 more snaps per game than they were in the 80's and 90's.
Bunny Ag
quote:
QB QB QB

pretty sure Driskel was one of those 5 stars, so the OP's point remains
Nino Brown
It's all about balance. Look at the teams that win it or have a chance to win it every year. Take Ags offense in 2012 and 2013 and mix it with UF defense and you're talking about back to back undefeated seasons.
AgBank
AG
quote:
quote:
QB QB QB

pretty sure Driskel was one of those 5 stars, so the OP's point remains
Jeff was the #1 DThreat QB JF in the country in 2011 (JF year).
whatthehey78
AG
quote:
I don't think our problem the last 2 years has been recruiting OL talent. It has been coaching and improving it.

Bingo! Bring this winner a chicken dinner.
Brewmaster
AG
Oh Jim Turner where art thou? The OL needs you!
mmh
AG
We'll be fine.
MaterialAg
AG
recruiting stars are meaningless.

I love how when Ketch does it, we all learn recruiting stars are meaningless. When our rankings make us look good compared to someone else, all the sudden they are the Word of G-d.

Catch a clue, people.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.