Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

So is it pretty settled at this point that Spav is here to stay for another year?

10,985 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by wasabi1787
FriscoKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Unless he takes another job that he wants?
HBCanine08
AG
quote:
Unless he takes another job that he wants?
He was interested in Tulsa if he interviewed so...
aggie_2001_2005
Spav will be our head coach and Sumlin the OC. We're innovative.
E.KingTrill
quote:
Spav will be our head coach and Sumlin the OC. We're innovative.
FriscoKid
AG
I can see why we wouldn't want a new DC and OC. But, if he stays I hope Sumlin has a couple months set aside this summer to give him a crash course on play calling.
aggiedent
AG
Both in the technical aspects of my field and in running my business, I have learned quite a bit from my mistakes. We have made changes and improved the service we provide our patients every year because of our failures. Of course, we continue with the things that work well.

Some people on here seem to assume that Spav ( as well as Sumlin and the position coaches) have no ability to look at what worked and what didn't, and improve their own system. Perhaps it is because they themselves have no knack for self improvement. I hope Spav is a great success and makes you guys eat your words.
mpaggie06
AG
He didn't seem to have that ability during the course of last year.
TexasAggiesWin
S
quote:
Both in the technical aspects of my field and in running my business, I have learned quite a bit from my mistakes. We have made changes and improved the service we provide our patients every year because of our failures. Of course, we continue with the things that work well.

Some people on here seem to assume that Spav ( as well as Sumlin and the position coaches) have no ability to look at what worked and what didn't, and improve their own system. Perhaps it is because they themselves have no knack for self improvement. I hope Spav is a great success and makes you guys eat your words.

In your field, do you wait a year to make changes to the way you work? Or do you make changes as problems arrise? I think that is the biggest concern many have with Spav.
Aggiedave1998
Attack of the bubble screen!

[SEC defenses tremble in fear]
phatbeast
AG
I'm as critical of the offense this year as anyone, but to say Spav made no changes during the year is simply disingenuous. We tried all sorts of stuff; it just didn't seem to work that well. Will he turn out to be a great OC? Maybe not, and maybe he should have put in some more time before he got promoted. But we've had something like four different OCs in the last four years now. Some consistency might be a good idea.
aggiedent
AG
quote:
In your field, do you wait a year to make changes to the way you work? Or do you make changes as problems arrise? I think that is the biggest concern many have with Spav.

We instantly fix problems (touch of sarcasm there). That's a fair concern. Of course making major changes to an offense is a complicated endeavor especially when you have a true freshman QB and a lot of first and second year players starting. At the start of the season I thought we needed some packages where we could run the football with some power yet still throw out of those formations to keep the defenses off balance. We went to something like that mid-season with Ben Compton although I never could figure out why the backs rarely ran behind him. It also didn't help that our OL play was sub-standard to previous years.
Aggiedave1998
quote:

The best predictor of future results is past results.

Not sure how much Sumlin plays into this, but over the entire season, Spav sure didn't seem to be able to "look at what worked and what didn't and improve his own system."

Most posters on here don't "assume" as much as "observe".

On a side note...I would love to eat crow if it came with a side of SEC Championship.
Knife_Party
Snyder had 2 years to see what worked and what didnt. He didnt improve ****.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
I would take Snyder back if it meant getting rid of Spav.
whatthehey78
AG
quote:
I can see why we wouldn't want a new DC and OC. But, if he stays I hope Sumlin has a couple months set aside this summer to give him a crash course on play calling.

Sadly, think that's already been done, and we've already seen the "BIG" difference it made. :-(
FriscoKid
AG
I would say in his defense that Hill's inability to accurately throw more than 10 yards down field did limit his play calling. Maybe it will be better with the right QB (Allen or Murray).
Bunny Ag
quote:
I would take Snyder back if it meant getting rid of Spav.
Teslag
AG
Spav staying was never in doubt
Emilio Fantastico
AG
quote:

And that is what most people on here are ranting about.
who?mikejones
AG
quote:
Spav staying was never in doubt

Too bad because he might be the worse coordinator in the SEC
JeffHamilton82
quote:

Guess you missed the SC and Auburn games. Snyder was the problem and to a degree also Sumlin, not Spav.
Banks Monkey
AG
What phatbeast said. He needs more time. All you clowns need to simmer down. Need to stop the OC carousel. O. line play and TE play was disappointing this year. We're just too young on offense and defense. In Sumlin we trust.
Ag_EE_88
AG
How exactly were OL and TE 'young'?
Space91
AG
I don't know if Spav is a good coach or not, but I know he had nothing to do with Kenny's problems and he had a true freshman QB to work with. I can understand if he kept the play calling simple for Kyle. If he had JFF and Mike Evans and we stank it up on offense that would be a different story.
Elmo Lincoln
AG
quote:
I don't know if Spav is a good coach or not, but I know he had nothing to do with Kenny's problems and he had a true freshman QB to work with. I can understand if he kept the play calling simple for Kyle. If he had JFF and Mike Evans and we stank it up on offense that would be a different story.x
x1,000,000
aglaes
AG
The last half of the season, there was a LOT of "what didn't work" and not so much of "what did work". Just seemed like nothing was working.
Busdriver99
AG
Spav should be the QB coach, not the head of the offense. He isn't equipped to oversee that side of the ball.

Sumlin needs to call the plays or find someone who can make adjustments
like Kingsbury could. We also need better OL coaching.
DM44
BJ Anderson

He should be long gone as OL coach.
But, he does bring in the recruits.
A solid OL would help Spav out a lot.
A&M has to have a run game to compete in the SEC.

New OL coach could also help the defense...not so many 3 and outs.
Wish Sumlin could just make Anderson a recruiter and hire a solid OL coach.

neondon85
AG
Might be in the hot seat if Offense has a poor showing in the Bowl....
FriscoKid
AG
quote:
Might be in the hot seat if Offense has a poor showing in the Bowl....
That's pretty late in the season to be looking for a replacement...
DM44
But, Anderson is the #2 ranked recruiter in the nation.

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeCoachRankings

"2015 results: Anderson has been responsible for seven commitments in the class of 2015 for the Aggies, being the primary recruiter for five of those. He is currently ranked as the No. 2 recruiter in the country."
malenurse
AG
quote:
Guess you missed the SC and Auburn games. Snyder was the problem and to a degree also Sumlin, not Spav.
That's our point exactly. Those were the only two games where Spav used the middle of the field. The Missouri game was a joke. The entire 1st half Missouri defense had both safeties up within 7 yards of the line of scrimmage. By my recollection, we threw THREE passes in the middle. Results... 70 yard touchdown, interception when the ball went cleanly through the hands of the receiver (who was wide open), and a poorly thrown incompletion.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
But, Anderson is the #2 ranked recruiter in the nation.

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeCoachRankings

"2015 results: Anderson has been responsible for seven commitments in the class of 2015 for the Aggies, being the primary recruiter for five of those. He is currently ranked as the No. 2 recruiter in the country."
I thought Beaty war our Ace?
Brewmaster
AG
quote:
That's pretty late in the season to be looking for a replacement...

Really for OL coach? I can think of a couple right now that would be at A&M this week if they were called.

Jim Turner for one. OL is the one position you could argue is more important to develop talent than recruit it.
Brewmaster
AG
if you have to keep him - make BJ RB coach, move McKinney to WR coach. Hire an OL coach that can develop guys (so we can actually run block again), but that would make too much sense.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.