Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Offense s**t the bed, not Defense

7,862 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by aggieaviator
Fur Missile Command
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Defense played well enough to keep us in the game and give us the opportunity to win. I see too many people calling for Snyder's head on a pike. Spav and his play calling is what deserves the fury of ten thousand suns. A new DC may be in order, but not before a new OC.
ag92tx
Dumb
evinoblanco
AG
Admirable effort Mrs. Snyder
AggieFanSince1955
There is no either or situation here....both Snyder and Spavital need to go. Sumlin's future and career depends on it.
AggieDruggist89
AG
It was inept LSU offense that kept us in the game....even with their 500+ record breaking yards
unmade bed
Although Snyder's defense gave up well over 300 yard rushing and 5 times as many yards as Arkansas allowed LSU to get in their most recent game, you are right, Snyder does not deserve to be fired for the Ds performance tonight. He deserves to be fired for its performance the past 2 years.
12thman95
AG
So, the number 102 defense in the country is now good enough? Yes, Spav has some serious issues, but 102...? think about it this way. Buffalo is playing better D than we are. Ball St. is playing better defense than we are. Miami (Ohio) is playing better D than we are.
Speedystooth
AG
Our problem was 3 & out. That was it.
TexasAggieJTL
AG
LSU has over 500 yards if offense.
xGigEmAggies12x
This is a joke right? Spav hasn't been good this year, but don't try and say Snyder isn't the issue when his defense gave up 400 rushing yards.
lil_frog8
AG
It's not like a defensive struggle isn't common in the SEC I would love to be able to trade 3 and outs with a team for once. Until Snyder is gone we will never have a 6-3 slobber knocker. You can't always blame the offense it's not the BDF anymore if you're opponent can't score they can't win. We need to take on that mentality instead of the lets just out score them mentality.
MidTnAg
AG
Our offensive line was by far our strongest group. 4 starters back. 2-3 potentially high draft choices.

They played far below their potential. They hurt us the most. Even with a porous defense, we could have had a successful season if the o-line had preformed as expected.
Claud
A bad offense went nuts on our defense. I really hope this thread is a joke.

Snyder should have been canned last year.
BBRex
AG
When your offense only gets two first downs in a half, your defense is probably going to give up yards sooner or later, unless you have serious talent on hand.
King O Frod
quote:
Our problem was 3 & out. That was it.
offense/defense=chicken/egg.
Cornerback31
AG
Agree with OP. Our CUSA Offense is puny and play calling is atrocious. LSU seemed to know what play we were going to run before we ran it; the proof is in their pass rush, blitzes, and run stuffs. Of course it's not hard to read an offense that has no misdirection or counter plays. All we really have is the bubble screen and flare pass with an occasional successful bomb thanks to receiver talent. No real ball control / game control offense at all. Only 2 first downs for the whole first half. 3 and out all night. Our defense had to be on the field at least 22 minutes of the first half and still we were in the game at the half and a chance to win at the end.

That being said the A&M Defense has been worse over the past 2 years. I hope we can get Muschamp.

LaurAg
We just gave up more rushing yds to lsu than any sec opponent in the past 17 yrs.
At least the O put up 17 pts.
Laura
LaurAg
Hey --- That's a point for every year since lsu has run over anybdody like tonight.
At least we got that going for us...
Laura
MidTnAg
AG
Over the past two years, our defense has helped a lot of offensives perform their very best.
Our opponents thank you, Coach Snyder.
Fur Missile Command
AG
I'm not saying our defense is satisfactory.... far from it. We need a change and Snyder needs to hit the old dusty trail. My point was that the offense has been completely abysmal this season and play calling has been a major part of it. My point was that the D kept us in it tonight and Spav sucked it the **** up. Snyder is on the chopping block, but the fury needs to be directed at the OC for tonight and the season. Muschamp would be interesting.
BMX Bandit
Hard to do anything on defense when offense won't let you get a breather & turns it over for short TD.

Defense played "good enough" to force field goals. Offense was garbage most of the game.

AgOutsideAustin
AG
Our defense always allows a player to do something they can't do against other teams. Name one other team that allowed Jennings over 100+ yards rushing? Pathetic. We never take away what a team can do best and force them to do what they are uncomfortable doing, so we lose.
Swammy51
Snyder, Spav both need new employment. Maybe Toys R Us is hiring.
Stasco
AG
quote:
Hard to do anything on defense when offense won't let you get a breather & turns it over for short TD.

Defense played "good enough" to force field goals. Offense was garbage most of the game.

+1
byxaggie00
AG
I'm ready to see Snyder gone as anyone, but the OP has a point, the offense did the D no favors. If they had held onto the ball more, LSU had less TOP and less chances to gash our soft defense.
JeffHamilton82
Our offense scored just as many points as red hot arkansas did against LSU. For sure snyder needs to go. Possibly Spav and other coaches too.
Ferg
A Muschamp defense won't help much without fixing the offense(play calling).
Look at Florida.
zephyr88
AG
This season, we fulfilled the expectations of the SEC when we were invited to the table.
DM44
I thought Sumlin's post game interview was interesting. He is 'diplomatic' in his interviews, but he did say that the offense during first half was unacceptable and that offensive adjustments were made during half-time, changing some of the play calling. Then he went on to say that this not only started the ball moving, but led to some defensive holding and pass interference calls that also moved the ball.

Reading between the lines, it appeared Sumlin was pointing out first Spav's first half play calling.

It will be interesting to see what he does with staff. I agree D did okay last night, considering the lack of depth we have and how much time D spent on the field. But, I also agree Snyder is not the long term answer, considering the last two seasons.

Spav has proven he does not know how to call a game.

It would be difficult for Sumlin to bring in both a new OC and DC this offseason. What to do? Do you make McKinney OC again? Do you give Snyder one more year with next class to improve quality and depth of defense?
AGHouston11
AG
Recap : we suck
Peterrod
AG
Agree that the O dug a deep hole with three and outs. Spav must have no confidence in Kyle to abandon the middle of the field through three quarters. LSU is too good to get burned by all our wide screens. Looked like the ULM game on O.
Deadwood
AG
quote:
When your offense only gets two first downs in a half, your defense is probably going to give up yards sooner or later, unless you have serious
talent on hand.
Except they were giving up yards from the first snap. Only reason they had a couple of possessions there where they didn't punch it in was Les Miles is a complete idiot and tried to throw the ball with an abysmal QB. However, Les isn't Spav level idiot, so by mid-2nd quarter even he realized against us you just run the football and that's all you need to do.

The Chicken Ranch
AG
quote:
Defense played well enough to keep us in the game and give us the opportunity to win. I see too many people calling for Snyder's head on a pike. Spav and his play calling is what deserves the fury of ten thousand suns. A new DC may be in order, but not before a new OC.

This is the cold hard truth.
Brewmaster
AG
OL coach and Snyder + some D position coaches (Hagen for one)

beyond that, I doubt anything else changes

our talented OL couldn't get a push all night against an inferior DL. Their OL with a starter out pushed us up and down the field and Sny_er ran his vaunted 5 yd gap in the middle of our 2 DT's all night - so they run it up the middle all night. It was a gift.

Niederhoffer comes in in the 2nd half b/c our 5 star receivers not named Speedy don't play hard or seem to give a damn. Sumlin needs to clean house before the bowl game and find some guys that WANT to play real football.
Smokedraw01
Spav has to go. Snyder goes if we have a clear cut better option. The guy knows defense and Id like to see what he could do with a healthy defense that doesn't have 10 true fish playing on it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.