Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

An Old Ag Looking for the "Good Ol Days".....

5,761 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by badbilly
Colonel A. 1976
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When the likes of Ed Simonini, Gar Tenaple, Jackie Williams, Pat Thomas , and Lester Hayes with others (a couple of All Americans in the group) ,roamed the field hitting everything in sight and flying to the football...hell, we hit someone very play with or without the ball...looking for the swarm and attack mentality...can we get it back?
Col. A 1976
schwack schwack
AG
I was around then too.
TexasAggiesWin
S
Them guys were so mad they had to walk uphill both to and from school, they took it out on the opposing players.
JustisWalkert
AG
That was literally an NFL defense.
Colonel A. 1976
AG
Bring that attitude back...Mean and Nasty!!!
Capt. America
AG
Kill 'em All
[img]http://i.imgur.com/SGWAsbY.png[/img]
Teslag
AG
That defense would rack up a ton of penalties in today's environment. It's not coming back.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
That defense would rack up a ton of penalties in today's environment. It's not coming back.
Spoilsport.
timoteo
I also remember those days. Maybe we will see it again and soon I hope.
Aggielandma12
AG
Amphetamine
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Amphetamine
Aahh, the Old Bill Yeoman coaching trick. Those guys were speeding out of their minds.
TXAGBQ76
AG
several games in that era where the opposing finished with negative total offensive yards for the game (I particularly remember a TCU and a KState game)
aggieaviator
AG
Puts a lot of things into perspective.
We all talk about game day atmosphere and crowd noise, etc. and most of it is justified; however,
when we used to field teams with defenses like these, everything took care of itself.
You want to talk about intimidating? Teams were scared to play us. Scared. Playing at home just made the atmosphere during defensive series that much more loud and intimidating.
I miss those days. This must be a focus for our program.
We've seen what offensive-only minded coaches produce since Fran came along.
We need a coach who places a priority on the defensive side of the ball.
I like Sumlin and really hope he can make it happen soon.
Offense will win you some games, defense wins championships.
Colonel A. 1976
AG
Tuscadero...(not sure about your handle).. so what if we get some penalties..at least we would hit someone and intimidate soem offenses...geeeeezzzz!!!! or maybe we need to put dresses on the players so no one gets a penalty for hitting
Colonel A. 1976
AG
sp..some
DrZ
AG
I always remember the first game in 1975. We beat Ole Miss 7-0. We scored on the first drive. i don't think we had 3 first downs the rest of the game.
Our offense averaged 299 yards a game total. Defense averaged 170. Our QB David Shipman was 24 of 60 for 422 yards......for the season. 3 completions per game. 2 TDs
Leading rusher had less than 1000.
We had a great team that year. The game has changed. I am not sure that was better just different.
Bankeraggie
AG
Hit and play hard or die.
But the locker rooms in the 70's were not cool.....
Billy Liuccis Facial Hair
AG
Ban hammer
that poster
Teams were scared to play us and now I am scared to watch us play or not play as the case may be.

Those were the glory days.

I particularly liked Bubber Bean and Garth ten navel!
Zip 88
In before some insignificant pissant weighs in with an Old Army comment punctuated with the thumbs-down emoticon.
Ozamataz Buckshank 01
AG
I hate tell you that those Old Army defenses would have gotten torched against today's offenses.
Ol Waco Ag
AG
quote:
I hate tell you that those Old Army defenses would have gotten torched against today's offenses.
Hmmm love to see you say that to Robert Jackson's or Ed Simonni's face...Warren Trahan would peel off your scalp....
Deadwood
AG
quote:
Lester Hayes was one of the greatest shut down corners in NFL history. He was an expert at bump and run and knocking receivers off their routes, and he could run with anyone. Put Hayes against Baylor, for instance, and they don't complete a pass to his side.
Dave Knesek
Offenses were absolutely horrendous back then - apples and oranges
jim 78
AG
quote:
When the likes of Ed Simonini, Gar Tenaple, Jackie Williams, Pat Thomas , and Lester Hayes with others (a couple of All Americans in the group) ,roamed the field hitting everything in sight and flying to the football...hell, we hit someone very play with or without the ball...looking for the swarm and attack mentality...can we get it back?
Those were the good ole days and a great D! Jackie and R C had some dang good ones! We use to be Linebacker U . Now look at the likes of Mastro and it's LB ewwwww!
Deadwood
AG
quote:
I see. So one of the greatest all-time cornerbacks in NFL history would have been torched by TCU. I have news for you - LSUs corners wouldn't even be torched by TCU. Defenses like ours today would be for sure.
oklacityag75
AG
quote:

Somebody does not know their a$$ from a hole in the ground and they couldn't find it with both hands and a flashlight!

tu, alabama, and zeroU were record setting offenses. It took a mean, nasty, and physical defense to crush them. We had the top ranked defense in 1975! The Hall of Fame was on that team!

Ten Napel

Simonini

Lester "The Molester" Hayes

Simonini, Jackson, and Williams

Robert Jackson (how I wish we had someone on our defense with his mentality)

John 14:6
Squadron 11
AG
The offenses of the 1970's were great, record-setting offenses. They ran the wishbone which was a triple option rushing attack. It was not unusual to rush for 300 yards a game. There was little passing. The game was all about running the football, blocking, kicking, and field position. Watching the Aggies run the triple option was like a symphony it was so smooth and fun.
milner79

Robert "Mud" Jackson
GhostRider76
AG
Half the defense would probably be ejected for being to physical or hitting to hard....Their stare alone would scare you into knowing what was coming....The Wrecking Crew....
OkinTexas
Today's players may be all buffed up and such, but back then the players were tough as nails. Whoever thinks those guys would get obliterated by today's offenses is sadly mistaken.
powerbiscuit
They were great in their time, but they would get torched today.

On top of that, they wouldn't be playing TCU, Rice, and SMU every other week.
jrwoodchuck
quote:
quote:
Lester Hayes was one of the greatest shut down corners in NFL history. He was an expert at bump and run and knocking receivers off their routes, and he could run with anyone. Put Hayes against Baylor, for instance, and they don't complete a pass to his side.

Lester was a bad mofo. When he was a pro you could still use stick'em. I remember one game when he came out on defense he had stick'em pretty much from his waist to his neck. It he got position on the receiver and the ball hit him anywhere it would stick. I remember lmao. But, he still had to get positon for the interception. Need more like him.
mrpay33
AG
Those guys all had a football meanness and would take all these new kids heads off. They also had respect for the game. Today's kids just play for their personal glory and not for the team. OP and rest of us Old Ags need to keep reminding "New Army" what it really means to be a Fighting Texas Aggie! Gigem and BTHO LSU!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.