Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A&M scheduling other teams on Thanksgiving

30,822 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Shooz in Katy
Mayhaw Jelly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That day was for the Lone Star Showdown, and no other college game in this state will come close. Seems silly that both A&M and texas are insisting on forcing that date on other teams. The rivalry is dead, let's start a new tradition of playing LSU that weekend, but no need to try and make up for something that we can't admit we actually loved regarding the old rival. LSU obviously would prefer the other date which is why they won't schedule tday in Baton Rouge.

Didn't we actually agree to move the Arky game back to Dallas with the understanding that arky would give up LSU thanksgiving weekend? Terrible move in that regard as well.
GrapevineAg
AG
Disagree. Glad we have LSU on T-Day!
Ben Diamond
I'm happy about the game.
aggie_2001_2005
Who WOULDN'T want to play on Thanksgiving? Seriously? You have the college football stage all to yourself, basically. Our players love that. Recruits love that.

Shut up.
permabull
AG
P.C. Principal
Love LSU as the last game of the season. But would prefer playing on Black Friday. I like staying home on T-day.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
Arky was moved because we had a contract in place to play at AT&T. We are trying to sell a brand. tu is a competing brand. Thanksgiving is a big day for exposure. Why shouldn't we try to outshine our competitor that day?
CentexAg
AG
I'm confident LSU will come on board with T-day. I think they'll like ending tday with the game then having the rest of the holiday weekend to themselves.
taz997
Should have left that thanksgiving open for when we start playing Texas again in about 5-10 years.
12thGauge
quote:
Arky was moved because we had a contract in place to play at AT&T. We are trying to sell a brand. tu is a competing brand. Thanksgiving is a big day for exposure. Why shouldn't we try to outshine our competitor that day?

Or we could play them and whoop their ass
anaggieshusband
I like to watch football when I am eating pie, not the Hallmark Channel
Neach Lagha
quote:
quote:

How do we force them to play us?
Texas A&M
I'd prefer it on the Saturday after, but we kind of have the best of both worlds. It is on Thanksgiving when in CS, and the Saturday after when in Baton Rouge.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
Used to play sipy on Tday, now we play LSU...

Ags playing Tday is what is important here... Sipy is irrelevant....

HTH
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
quote:
quote:

I agree but they think we don't deserve to play them. I'm not in favor of begging or even making the first move. They would take us saying the game should be brought back as begging
Bernie13
I love the Thanksgiving game. Gets me out of the inlaw's house.
12thGauge
quote:
quote:
quote:

How do we force them to play us?

Strong has said that we would be for it however their AD is the one against it. I think both sides will be pushed to the point of regularly playing again eventually. Could be 5 years could be 25 but i think we will.
tamc12
AG
No way do I want a regularly scheduled game with the sips ever again. Why continue to beat a dead horse.
LSU and A&M have a history, too. It's a great match up for us and for television on Thanksgiving Day. I like that we play at Kyle on TDay and on Sat at Baton Rouge, gives us travel time to go there. Great set up for us.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
quote:
Used to play sipy on Tday, now we play LSU...

Ags playing Tday is what is important here... Sipy is irrelevant....

HTH
ckwarren33
Thanksgiving comes, the turkey get cooked, and I watch A&M play against LSU. Too much BS involved with the leghumping whorns. Turn the page.
Localhero88
We are one of two teams that play that day every year....even people that don't watch football will be forced to see us on the t.v that day ......dumbazz
Bloody-Nine
AG
Aggie Joe 93
AG
At least the whiner defeatists have something to say other than claiming they know for a fact that TAMU won't win again.

On the other hand, can't yall take one week off the constant estrogen filled ***** fest?
TheAggiesAreWe03
AG
We upgraded yo!
agz win
AG
First Charlie only said her like to play because he new his bosses would cover with their agenda to refuse to play us. Any sensible soul knows the sips want no part to our boys. Sumo would go for the jugular and blow this little straw house down. Even eSipn soesnt want the matchup because it would demoralize them and their push for the Longhorn cluster network.
Second is the reality is the sip series, when the willies finally are arm twisted to have to play us again, will never return to Thanksgiving. Never. It will be an early season game only.

The SEC is our home now and LSU is our date. Sips will only be around for an occasional romp.
8T2
quote:
I like to watch football when I am eating pie, not the Hallmark Channel
Or, you could watch 12 continuous hours of NFL football, like the entire rest of the country will do.
JeffHamilton82
Pumped about playing LSU on TDay
weeza
AG
Not this crap again
doug1812
AG
Back to OP - I think the reason we extended the Arky series in Arlington was because we needed more home games in 2012 due to the conf move. If you remember, we changed Arky to a home & home for those 2 years, but they were orig scheduled to be at Arlington. The tradeoff was to re-up w/Jerry & Arky for a longer term after that. Obviously Arky wants it in Arlington, but not sure if the intent by A&M is to have it there permanently.

If you look back at 2012, we only had 6 home games even after we got Arky at home.
Texas Tide
AG
Last I checked we weren't the ones who spent the past two years importing teams to Austin to play on Thanksgiving night.

Whatever idea that thanksgiving was about the rivalry died when Texas tried to make it (as they do everything) about themselves.
AgWeb44
A big time game, against a big time opponent, on a highly watched time slot / holiday? Why would we not do that? We control what's in our best interest. We should never let another school prevent us from doing what's best for us.

I agree that the old school A&M / Texas games on thanksgiving were awesome, but those days are over. Just like any breakup, you have to move on and live your life to the fullest, doing what is best for your own future.

Great job to the administration on making this series (and date) happen..
TexasAggiesWin
S
As recently as 2007 we played the sips on that Friday after Thanksgiving. Some posting here act like the game has never been played on any other day than Thanksgiving Day.
PCC_80
AG
I think that the Swamp Kitties will grow to like the game on T-Day. For those that come to the game they will find out how much fun it is doing a T-Day Tailgate and the people at home will really enjoy watching their team after a big meal with the whole family there. They should come around. I am also sure that the TV Ratings will make the folks in the SEC Home Office happy too.
permabull
AG
permabull
AG
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.