Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

defense in the state of Texas

4,938 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by PeekingDuck
austinAG78748
How long do you want to ignore this user?
we all know at the college ranks the top tier schools either have a average defense or they flat out suck. Well I found the source. they don't teach defense at the high school level either 58-42 cedar hill over desoto 5 mins left in 4th
Owlagdad
Basketball with pads on.
InnerCityAg
it gone
BeveledAg
quote:
it gone
Thanks a lot Obama
PeekingDuck
AG
Said this twice already, you're late. :-P Texas high school football is very overrated.

Ag4coal
quote:
Said this twice already, you're late. :-P Texas high school football is very overrated.

I wouldn't say it's overrated as much as we just put out best athletes on offense here. Colleges (including us) need to look at converting some athletes to the other side of the ball. It takes some development but the talent is there
Bone6
Basically, the best athletes are being placed on offense much more often by all the offensive coaches at powerhouse HS programs right now and the success of the spread and absence of between the tackles, smash mouth football has meant that the kids who do end up playing LB/DT end up being less physical.
PeekingDuck
AG
Right, which means Texas high school football isn't producing championship caliber college teams. There is an obvious visual difference between the SEC and the rest of the country in this regard. Us excluded, of course.

marble rye
AG
I blame all the new rules about tackling, etc. Kids can't be just mean and out to destroy the competition (by TX standards). Football got PC'ed.
Fsanmig
Recruit offense players from TX , not Def players. That is what skrong is doing at Tu, most of his 2015-16 offers are recruits from FL and other states.
Red Skye
AG
quote:
I blame all the new rules about tackling, etc. Kids can't be just mean and out to destroy the competition (by TX standards). Football got PC'ed.

When enough people get ****ed for life by playing a game, this tends to happen.
Meximan
quote:
Recruit offense players from TX , not Def players. That is what skrong is doing at Tu, most of his 2015-16 offers are recruits from FL and other states.
Probably has more to do with the fact that him and his staff don't know Texas the state that well, but know Florida and the east coast very well. I.e., he can't recruit Texas and Sumlin + Briles have effectively run t.u. out of the state.

Think about that a minute.
Roman Empire
AG
quote:
So we should drop our offers to Mack and Malik?
TexasAggie_97
AG
It also does not help when half the best talent goes out of state and the other half is spread out between A&M, t.u., TCEH, Baylor, SMU, TCU, UNT, Rice, UH, etc. If you took a Baylor and SMU and TCU out of the equation it would consolidate the talent and Texas teams would be better.
ashley
I believe the reason for so many high scoring games is the spread run well in Texas high school. There is so much speed combined with so many good quarterbacks and receivers. One of the causes of this is 7 0n 7 in high schools. I actuality the rise in scoring has happened all over the country.
I might also remind you that when our spread offense was run well with a very good QB we were a high scoring teams even against many of the legendary SEC defenses,
In fact, the last two years we averaged the following number of points on offense against the following SEC teams.
MSU 44.5
Auburn 52.5
Ole Miss 34.5
Ark 51.5
Alabama 35.5
Missouri 40
tmaggie50
AG
quote:
quote:

When enough people get ****ed for life by playing a game, this tends to happen.

And by enough, you mean the roughly .02% of the participants who will eventually see life altering effects caused by the game.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:

I think this is true for the most part, Texas has some great players no doubt, but you just see so much more speed, athleticism, and physical play out of high school teams from states like Louisiana, Florida, and Georgia.

It's obvious when you watch things like exhibition games between elite high school programs like the southlake vs Miami games from the late 2000's, and the Texas vs. Louisiana all star games. Texas teams tend to lose those matchups pretty resoundingly.
Agsuffering@bulaw
First of all, SMU/TCU/Baylor don't pull in the highly rated defensive players. Briles may have recruited less than 5 Rivals **** Defensive Players in his career. Briles has recruited QBs/WRs/RBs. Fat Gary may get 1 a year. SMU gets none.
Agsuffering@bulaw
And Ashley has it- the best players usually play on offense. And it makes sense- one or 2 great athletes at QB or RB makes a mediocre offense a good offense, especially at 4a or lower.

A great athlete on a mediocre defense- and its still probably a mediocre defense, unless he is a beast at MLB or on the D Line. But those positions require size that most athletes lack.
THEamc
AG
To win consistanly in the college / HS level, its about scheme on offense, talent on defense.
With such a variation of offensive schemes, (from wing-t to spreads), you've got to have the guys who can adapt to what they will see on the other side of the ball.
vander54
S
It has to do with money. Who gets paid more in the NFL star QB/WR or star DT/LB?
TexasAggiesWin
S
Bad offense with a great defense is just not exciting. When the Ravens won the Super Bowl in 2000 and then 2012, there offense was boring. People would crack jokes about it, and still do. The Tampa Bay team that won the Super Bowl in 2002 ran a boring offense. People crack jokes about that offense as well.
TheCougarHunter
AG
quote:
Bad offense with a great defense is just not exciting. When the Ravens won the Super Bowl in 2000 and then 2012, there offense was boring. People would crack jokes about it, and still do. The Tampa Bay team that won the Super Bowl in 2002 ran a boring offense. People crack jokes about that offense as well.

I think a dominant defense is pretty fun to watch. Seeing linebackers flying to the ball and layin down the hard hits is the best kind of football. I guess most people don't share my sentiment. Despite all the high-powered offense, most of the recent super bowl and MNC wins still come from great defense and a strong running game.
BMX Bandit
I think its because it's easier to get a high scoring offense than a shutdown defense.
msubulldogntx
Remember watching an SEC game on ESPN a while back, and there was an announcer that made a great point about why the SEC is so much better than the rest of the country. He said basically every SEC team has several big DL that can really move, and chase down QBs and RBs. 6'5" 300lb plus bigs that run 4.7-4.8 40s. High schools in the southern states produce these type players everywhere.

I know there are a lot of other factors too, but there is a lot of truth to that statement.

howitzercannon
AG
That's an interesting thought. If Sumlin goes after beast of OL recruits and a RB here and there and a QB and just get hard working receivers, but recruits an outstanding Defense, I think his scheme works better with a supporting cast.

Tech's offense managed to put up numbers with Leech with lesser talent, but imagine an LSU team with that crazy Defense of studs and a Leech like Offense?

A&M would be awesome if it could do that.

People always say that this type of offense is going to have a week defense, but if a defense can get off the field in less than 8 plays, this allows them to rest while the offense does its work.
Mr. Tyler Durden
Me and another coach I work with who grew up in Miss but played at LSU were talking bout this the other day. Basically our thinking is that with all the spread offenses in texas most great athletes want to play in the exciting offenses. Very rarely do you see studs on defense these days, and if they are they have not been playing against federal pound you in the azz type southern offenses.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
quote:
it gone
Thanks a lot Obama
I blame Bush
PeekingDuck
AG
That's not to say Texas football can't compete with some of the other states (north and west), but we don't have the players the true South has. I have some theories about this, but they aren't very PC. No region in the country is competitive with the SEC powers, only difference is that Texas (the state) has a pretty high opinion of themselves without much to show for it. Consider the Texas/Bama game a few years back (and every other SEC attended championship). That was a very talented and loaded team with Texas players and they had their **** pushed in like no other.... the only team to beat an SEC school? From ****ing Florida! What's the difference? A bit north of the swamp, but no different. How long til a championship doesn't come from a southern state?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.