Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

SMU is BACK

9,511 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by FrontPorchAg
the13thAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.lostlettermen.com/article/smu-football-mustangs-to-offer-mack-brown-4-million-per-year

U can fix link or bomb a moon
ag92tx
COOL STORY
Ag Tag
It just might work,
aggiehawg
AG
Kingsbury's life just became even less fun.
monarch
S
Being reported everywhere now; must have some truth in it.
jim 78
AG
If it gets Mack off TV that I watch I'm all for it!
Emilio Fantastico
AG
quote:
If it gets Mack off TV that I watch I'm all for it!

It is impossible to listen to him speak. Just painful.
rpecorar
AG
Yeah. Not gonna happen... Or not gonna work...
CentexAg
AG
I don't think Mack would take it for 10 mill. He can't recruit there. Mack was a recruiter- not a coach. He will look rediculous at SMU.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
I could honestly see Mack taking this. It would give him an opportunity to get back to basics. No distractions like Austin, no LHN to deal with, and no overly high expectations. It's really the perfect gig for him to take to get back into coaching
Sparkie
AG
quote:
I don't think Mack would take it for 10 mill
32 million (4 million for 8 years) . Even if he doesn't want the job, the money will be hard to turn down.

Heard his buddy W called him a few days ago. I don't think this is far fetched but don't thing anything will happen until SMU finishes its season.
Swagmanag
Could make a huge difference and save that program.
marble rye
AG
Please let this happen. And please let SMU have success.
agAngeldad
Love to see him at SMU. They need a guy like Mack to unite the booster/fan and Dallas base. This could be a big deal in the Dallas Market. The Whorns could end up not liking this move. Mack is much younger than Larry Brown.

BTW mack is bad on TV.
CrottyKid
AG
quote:

You do realize that SMU locking down Dallas would be bad for us, right?
mrnegative
quote:
quote:

Lol, a successful cusa team isn't going to lol down Dallas
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
SMU NETWORK?????
Tomdoss92
AG
what a neat deal.

those kids will play their guts out.

turning down that kind of money will scare you to death.
CrottyKid
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Lol, a successful cusa team isn't going to lol down Dallas

Ok. Roll the dice on that if you want. I would rather them be in CUSA and not successful.
aTm2004
AG
quote:
I could honestly see Mack taking this. It would give him an opportunity to get back to basics. No distractions like Austin, no LHN to deal with, and no overly high expectations. It's really the perfect gig for him to take to get back into coaching

8 wins per season and he's golden.
BMX Bandit
SMU is not in CUSA. Well informed zoo opinions.
msubulldogntx
If he couldn't cut it at tu of all places, he will be a disaster at SMU. I don't blame him for taking the job... But wow what a terrible hire by SMU, if it turns out to be true.
mid90
AG
Where in the hell is SMU going to come up with $4 mill / year? ? ? ? ? ?
BMX Bandit
It would be a fantastic hire.
Bunk Moreland
It would be a fantastic hire.

He did cut it at tu. He had one of the longest runs of success at tu, including a national championship and a Heisman trophy winner under his watch.

Just because the wheels fell off a bit towards the end, that doesn't mean he couldn't "cut" it.

I know everyone loves to laugh at Mack, and having grown up in Austin, I always love when the sips are terrible. That fanbase is hilarious when they are losing(but really-what fanbase isn't)

That being said, Mack is a good guy and a good coach. I've met him multiple times. He will connect with their alumni and fanbase, he has connections all over the state with HS coaches, and he'd be able to sell a really good education at a fine institution, the ability to stay in Dallas or in the state, and there's no doubt in my mind he'd be pulling in 3-5 4* prospects every year to go along with a class full of 3*'s.

A school like SMU can put themselves in a very good position moving forward when the power 5 make their ultimate pivot and start paying players, etc. There's going to be the haves and the have nots, and a clear definition between the 2 groups.

But in the group of the have nots, a school like SMU could set themselves up to go to the top of that when the pressure of the have's isn't as dominant as it is now.
msubulldogntx
All very good points, but he isn't a good coach and is terrible at developing talent. If you want sustainable success at a school like SMU, developing talent is critical, which he has PROVEN he can't do. He is washed up and burned out.

Hiring him would make the news and generate some buzz around their program, but he would fall flat in my opinion. If he was so great he would still be at tu.
aTm2004
AG
quote:

$45k/yr in tuition
Macarthur
quote:

Are you joking?
Teslag
AG
quote:

Do you even super rich urban alumni bro?
Bunk Moreland
quote:
All very good points, but he isn't a good coach and is terrible at developing talent. If you want sustainable success at a school like SMU, developing talent is critical, which he has PROVEN he can't do. He is washed up and burned out.

Hiring him would make the news and generate some buzz around their program, but he would fall flat in my opinion. If he was so great he would still be at tu.

He isn't a good coach and he's terrible at developing talent? Do you know how many players he put into the NFL during his run at tu? He won a NC and went to another title game.

Let's not kid ourselves here. He is a good coach, and he has proven he can develop talent.
aTm2004
AG
The talent needed to succeed at tu vs SMU is not the same.
msubulldogntx
Look at LSU, and how well they did years after Saban left. THAT is building a sustainable program. Mack Brown left tu in shambles for a very successful Charlie Strong... Just a complete train wreck disaster he left behind. I feel bad for Coach Strong because he is trying to do things the correct way. I could careless about tu... But Mack Brown is a dud, at least at this point.

They could get an incredible coach for 4 mil a year.
BMX Bandit
Who could they get that wouldn't try to flip it for a better job?

Mack would stay there. For a school like smu, it's a homerun
msubulldogntx
Flip or not, it doesn't matter. If they hired an up and comer that could give them 3-4 years and left for a better program it would be a HUGE success. This day and age coaches don't stay in the same place for a long time anyway. If I were looking at things from their perspective, I would go after someone young who has fire and passion and WANTS to win.

Mack Brown is another retread who left his previous situation a complete disaster. I have no clue why they think he would leave them in better shape than tu.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.