Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Breaking Down the Aggie Offense - Week 8 (Warning: Not Very Long)

5,390 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by lakeside aggie
Codeno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Welcome to the week 8 breakdown of the 2014 Fightin' Texas Aggie offense.

For those that are reading my breakdown for the first time, here are the threads from the first seven weeks:

Week 1: http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2518225/
Week 2: http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2523533/
Week 3: http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2527229/
Week 4: http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2529841/
Week 5: http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2534806/
Week 6: http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2539391/
Week 7: http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2543462/

I'll make this short and sweet. We were terrible. 2 for 13 on third down is awful. The run/pass ratio was completely lopsided. We gained a total of 8 first downs all game, which is 8 less than our second lowest total
of the season (in the game against Arkansas). That's 30 less first downs than our season opener! When we did run we were stuffed. The offense has been figured out and we don't have the benefit of a true dual threat quarterback so defensive linemen don't have to worry about maintaining pass rush lanes. Defenses now play "who can get to the quarterback first?" against our offensive line who by the way has completely fallen apart. Our tight end can't seem to block either. I'm starting to get worried about the lack of development amongst the offensive line. They've regressed a ton since the beginning of the season. That's all I have to say about that.

I also thought we were supposed to see changes this week? I didn't see any changes amongst the
offensive line. And I know people want competition amongst the wide receivers to see who has the heart/willpower to block, but I don't see any major changes in that area. The guys who aren't starting aren't any better at blocking than the starters so I don't have much hope that will improve.

Data from Week 6

Next we will look at the various personnel packages the Aggies ran out against Alabama.

Here's a brief description of the 7 formations we ran on Saturday.

Personnel Group Descriptions

Personnel Groups

We called a whopping 4 run plays in the first half. Our longest run of the game was from Brandon Williams, which went for 9 yards.

We ran a new formation this week. We sent our 5 wide receivers and had 4 bunched together in a diamond formation on one side of the field. It went astonishingly bad. We ran a wide receiver screen to Malcome and of course the other 3 wide receivers all decided to block the same guy so Malcome was tackled for a loss. There were two incompletions and a Kenny Hill 4-yard scramble to net 1 yard off those 4 plays.

Targets

Kennedy resumed his status as the top target again. Also of note, neither Cam Clear nor Ricky Seals-Jones saw a target, let alone catch a pass. Ugly.

Season Total Targets

Red Zone Targets / Touches

Well, we ran one play in the red zone all game, and it was Kenny's interception intended for Tra over the middle. Hell of a play by the Alabama defensive linemen.

Season Total Red Zone Targets /Touches

X's & O's Breakdown
Do you really want me to break down THAT film? Luckily the full game film hasn't been posted to YouTube. I've only found Alabama highlight reels showing our defense get torn apart. Consider yourself lucky if you've only seen the footage once.

Let's put it this way: It got so bad for us, in the 4th quarter I saw Ogbuehi throw his hands in the air during the middle of the play because he was so fed up. He actually stopped blocking his man while Kyle was running for his life to show his frustration.

I don't have much to add on top of what the other members of the zoo are saying. I don't buy the notion that Kenny is the main problem or that his teammates don't like him but I think his confidence is rattled. I think we have massive issues on the offensive line and that is causing all the other facets of our offensive to look terrible. These SEC defensive front sevens are mauling us and we can't do anything to stop them. Our wide receivers are also not blocking well at all, which is why all the wide receiver screens are getting nowhere. I can't put much blame on the running backs because they don't get enough opportunities to make a play.

I don't have any predictions as to what changes will be made after the bye week. Our next game is against a patsy and hopefully a win will help our confidence. That confidence will be much needed because the week after that we face another top 5 team in Auburn.
KilleenAg
AG
Thanks for the breakdown... To the point and succinct. I really appreciate it!
ag92tx
Do you have a chart for effort by individual player?
No Spin Ag
quote:
+1
Aero95
AG
quote:

Let's put it this way: It got so bad for us, in the 4th quarter I saw Ogbuehi throw his hands in the air during the middle of the play because he was so fed up. He actually stopped blocking his man while Kyle was running for his life to show his frustration.

Funny, I did the exact same thing as Ogbuehi in the bar during our watch party. Seeing our team quit is the most painful thing in this stretch.
GinaLinetti
AG
quote:
quote:

Funny, I did the exact same thing as Ogbuehi in the bar during our watch party. Seeing our team quit is the most painful thing in this stretch.

+1
d78230
AG
That attitude ought to serve ced well in the upcoming NFL draft.

OxfordAggie
BaileyAg
AG
Had to chuckle when you prefaced "not very long".
MarkPro
I think we finish 2 and 2. Good news, next game is an 11 a.m. start. Thanks for the info Codeno, insightful as usual.
jim 78
AG
that shows you Tabuyo should get more playing time than drop pass holmes. thanks for the info!!
AGHouston11
AG
Do you do this for a living?
Unreal!
TexasAggiesWin
S
Average 2nd down yards to go 7.94
Average 3rd down yards to go 7.46

Wow... looks like we averaged half a yard on 2nd down
FrontPorchAg
Sorry, can't really get on board with not running the ball enough when we are down so big so early.
FrontPorchAg
Also regarding the diamond formation the broncos ran the same formation 3-4 times on Monday with great success. At least once running the same play. Here's the key and everyone take note: If your players don't give a damn, it wont work.
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:

Yes

Speedy-10
Drew Kaser-Heisman
Everyone else-0
NavyAg92
AG
Makes one wonder that if Codeno can break it down this much, what dafuq the coaches are looking at week in and week out since they can't get their sh*t straight.

Instead of Snyder making excuses after each loss, I'd rather him say something along the lines of, "You want the truth?! You don't like my answer?!?! Then go read the Codeno thread in the Football Forum of TexAgs.com, got d*mn it!!!".
tex 93
AG
Thumbs up to Codeno for still doing the break down on the offense in spite of the offense being totally broken, and the defense, and the whole team, and the coaches, and everything.
fishinaggiegirl
AG
Codeno, good work
Matsui
sharpdressedman
quote:
Codeno, good work
Agree.

You did not mention that after the game the Aggie football program bus was seen off the road, in a ditch, overturned and on fire.
cavscout96
AG
quote:
I think we have massive issues on the offensive line and that is causing all the other facets of our offensive to look terrible. These SEC defensive front sevens are mauling us and we can't do anything to stop them. Our wide receivers are also not blocking well at all, which is why all the wide receiver screens are getting nowhere. I can't put much blame on the running backs because they don't get enough opportunities to make a play.

Independent George
AG
Good work codeno, another fine breakdown.

Overall it was a sad game to watch, I agree that most of our problems have a lot to do with the OL. When you lose the most important battle within the first second of every play you can't expect much.

I'll be like ogbuehi and finish this comment off by saying that th
AgBeliever
AG
Another great post Codeno.

In summation, our OL is not only over-ranked, it is downright terrible. On top of that, our WRs play like they don't give a damn.

Definite discipline and morale problems with the O. Some people are getting called out on this, as they should.
livershot93
AG
Well done.
txags11
Lukeno
AG
quote:
AgLandMan
AG
quote:
quote:

Twelfthman99
AG
Sabian Holmes only catches the ball 40% of the time when he is targeted? I knew it was bad, but geez... How does he still make the field in this offense? The next lowest of the receivers with 25+ targets is Malcome and Pope at 64%.
THEamc
AG
Good stuff bro.
Spicewood Ag
AG
First time we ran the Diamond formation with our WRs.... Horizontal pass/Bubble... We had 3 receivers blocking the SAME GUY... does anyone remember this or was I smoking crack? Anyone got a clip?
Moe 92
AG
quote:
Average 2nd down yards to go 7.94
Average 3rd down yards to go 7.46

Wow... looks like we averaged half a yard on 2nd down plays which did not result in a first down, turnover, or expiration of time

FIFY. Small difference probably in this case since the above circumstances only appear to have happened 3 times total.
12mn95
AG
Wow...thanks for all that you do man...seeing those 2nd/3rd down stats just makes me shake my head.
lakeside aggie
AG
Well done. I hope the coaches look at this. I'm not sure they have a clue what is going on.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.