Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Why is Kenny Hill regressing?

16,516 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Squadron7
AGFEVER
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any thoughts?

The Fev
AG
Because we're playing real teams now and he's not good.
MSFC Aggie
AG
too much Northgate?
SigAg6
AG
Booze
AGFEVER
Was South Carolina not a real team? Granted, they aren't top 10 but they're solid.

Everybody wanted this kid out of HS....tu...Baylor, OU, LSU.

Is it coaching?

The Fev
Frederick Palowaski
AG
How exactly is a rainbow made? How exactly does a posi-trac rear-end on a Plymouth work? It just does.
AG
I don't buy that SC is a solid team this year. The east is horribly weak. The fact that we beat them the way we did, and they barely beat Vandy ought to be enough evidence of that for everyone.
Bunk Moreland
O line, and coaching staff messing up the offense with the "check with me" bull**** every time they get up to the line.

O line has provided very little time for him to get beyond one read. The pressure has been bad, especially right up the middle and in his face. That causes things to break down immediately.

The check with me audibles have turned the "tempo" into a slow crawl. Even when the right play is called, WR's not blocking on WR screens has blown up the play.

This team goes directly into 2nd and long on virtually every drive with the ****ty WR screens and the run play for 1 yard.

ANY quarterback would struggle with that. This is why it's mind-boggling that so many internet idiots think that just handing the job over to Kyle will somehow make those issues go away. He is even more wide-eyed than Kenny is when he's out there.

It's not what people want to hear, so it's easy and ignorant to just say "kenny sucks. Kyle has to come in." Why? So we can damage him mentally as well? Auburn and LSU would pin their ears back and demolish/embarrass Kyle. He's not ready yet. Great talent; needs time.

If the Ags want any chance of looking respectable and getting this offense going again, the O-line play HAS to get infinitely better than they have performed the last 3 games. They HAVE to allow the running game to have some success, and they HAVE to give Kenny at least some time before he knows he's going to get hit.

Secondary problems are the WR's coming off routes, blowing routes completely, and piss poor blocking.

Third tier problem is QB play. But QB play will not improve until the O-line improves.

BJ Anderson. All this hand wringing about Spav. He's the guy who needs to be shown the door if he can't coach worth a ****.
Chetos
AG
No free furniture deals
Dave Knesek
Because we're not playing patsies any more? Duh?
GenericAggie
AG
What the guy above said - too complicated, not enough O line support, kenny not making fast enough reads.
Slicer97
AG
I would venture a guess that his inability to throw an accurate deep ball is the problem.

He's facing better defenses that don't worry about defending the long pass and can concentrate on taking away the short stuff and load up against the run.

Combine that with a finesse blocking O-line and receivers that don't block well on screens, it gets really hard to move the ball.

While Spavital ain't a great OC right now, I think a lot of his shortcomings as a play caller are more a matter of being handcuffed by various weaknesses of the team as opposed to simple ineptitude.
3rdGen2015
AG
If you compare his mechanics the last three weeks to the USCe game, they're polar opposites. There were multiple times while rewatching the USCe game that I was making comments about how good his footwork was and how well he climbed in the pocket. The past three weeks, he has had pretty poor footwork and almost never climbs in the pocket.

I'm not a QB coach by any stretch of the imagination, but these are just some of my observations.
91Ags_
AG
quote:
ANY quarterback would struggle with that. This is why it's mind-boggling that so many internet idiots think that just handing the job over to Kyle will somehow make those issues go away. He is even more wide-eyed than Kenny is when he's out there.

This was my view on Hill until the bama game. This offense lacks leadership. Until that is fixed, it isn't going to run right. KA might bring some leadership and other intangibles to the table. What's the downside? As far as I know, the offense can't score less than zero.
FriscoKid
AG
OL plays a big part IMO, but teams know that he can't throw the deep ball. If that is not a threat then it's easier to cover the short stuff.
PDLPc/o2005
AG
Tradition
Hoyt Ag
AG
quote:
I would venture a guess that his inability to throw an accurate deep ball is the problem.

He's facing better defenses that don't worry about defending the long pass and can concentrate on taking away the short stuff and load up against the run.

Combine that with a finesse blocking O-line and receivers that don't block well on screens, it gets really hard to move the ball.

While Spavital ain't a great OC right now, I think a lot of his shortcomings as a play caller are more a matter of being handcuffed by various weaknesses of the team as opposed to simple ineptitude.
This. Especially the first sentence.
Ag4coal
Because everyone on the team is slacking ass. No one cared last week. Plain and simple. Lineman didn't block. Receivers didn't block or run the right routes. No one tried. Hence, we suck
ham98
Do his teammates even like him?
FriscoKid
AG
quote:
Do his teammates even like him?

Do you like throwing up every 5 minutes Claude?
jbone3515
AG
I think there are problems all across the board. Regardless of whether it's truly Kenny's problems or not, do you think a change would provide a spark in the team? In other words, if everyone is saying it's Kenny and the team starts to believe that, a change would remove that mental block.
SA-AG72
AG
Johnny was our Alpha Dog. We don't have that anymore. Until we can get a new Alpha Dog we will be mediocre at best. Same for defense - no leaders on the field.
Texas Yarddog
AG
quote:
I don't buy that SC is a solid team this year. The east is horribly weak. The fact that we beat them the way we did, and they barely beat Vandy ought to be enough evidence of that for everyone.

You are completely missing the fact that they have wins against the current #9 and #18. They are inconsistent as hell, but have played well in more instances than we have.

The only really good game we have shown was against South Carolina. All the other games we have looked off. Bad timing, off key, no communication, busted plays...

EDIT - Maybe we can schedule one game every four weeks so we can be ready for our opponent.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
I seriously think Kenny has a drinking problem and it is affecting his play.

He should seek help before its too late.
SpicewoodAg
AG
Reasons he is regressing:

1. Never should have gotten a nickname because of one good game. This is sunshine pumping at its worst. It went to his head and he thought it would be downhill the rest of the season.

2. His long ball is a line drive and not very accurate. No arc, no air under it, and often not where it is supposed to be.

3. He is not much of a leader.

4. His coaches are not helping. The WR play is not very good. The OL play is regressing the most.
80Aggie
AG
I sat 10 rows up from the Ag sideline last week, and think I see the big problem (with the crap on the field, I actually watched the sideline more than the game after the outcome became clear early-on). He's a talented kid (can't argue with his pre-A&M success) with no real leadership skills, and getting no leadership from those above him. Aside from when he threw his temper tantrum and chewed out his teammates, he spent most of the time between series sitting away from the team by himself on a bench, most of the time with Spavital essentially "holding his hand," coddling him. It's a real shame he's passing up a golden opportunity to be seen as "the guy" to rally this team out of the doldrums - just don't think he has the tools to do so, and no one is investing that in him. Once these kids leave high school, especially for the SEC, success lies in the intangibles - character, maturity, controlled aggression, leadership mentality, accountability, team spirit, and NO QUIT, et.al. - pure athleticism is no longer enough. Navy SEALS have it right: "You're NEVER out of the fight." Just my take from what I saw on our sideline.
jim 78
AG
drinking?? I dunno
No Spin Ag
quote:
Because we're playing real teams now and he's not good.
This could not be more true
Reed10
AG
Among many things. The past 3 teams had a pass rush with four. Didn't need to blitz. Teams are dropping into zone making him go into progressions unlike the quick hit plays that he is comfortable with. Our young talented WR Don't always read the coverage right so they don't settle at the right place in the zone, kenny often thinks they will settle down and other times he thinks they'll keep going. Opposing teams have caught on to this and it's tough because the only remedy is to have a solid running game that creates wider lanes because they have to throw more bodies up front. Need better line play. More chemistry with QB and WR and also need to execute and hit the open guys. Kenny has been missing.
TyHolden
AG
He's jff in his redshirt fish year without feet...Johnny didn't stay in the pocket much first year.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
Booze
Yeah. Same reason I am
FightingAggie
AG
quote:
Reasons he is regressing:

1. Never should have gotten a nickname because of one good game. This is sunshine pumping at its worst. It went to his head and he thought it would be downhill the rest of the season.

It has been downhill the rest of the season
NickEZ08
He got Ebola and lost his trill in Dallas.
aeon-ag
Keny never was!
hoya-ag
AG
Until his receivers stop dropping balls and his Oline is not atrocious it is hard to determine whether he has actually "regressed." The problem is that I think we need to stretch the field and he was not that accurate on the deep ball to start the season when we were clicking.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.