Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Why is Trey Williams being under utilized, he kept his commitment to A&M

16,787 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by TX scallywAG
SwagObserver
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I remember when Trey Williams committed to Texas A&M in May of 2011 along with Matt Davis, Bralon Addison, and Cory Thompson. Bralon decomitted and went to Oregon, Cory decomitted and went to LSU, Matt Davis transferred to Tyler JUCO. Trey signed in Feb 2012 and stayed even after Brandon Williams and Tra Carson transferred from other schools. He is the leading rusher, but hardly plays. He was even taken off the starting KR team. He plays with heart and he seems to have good character. Sumlin told the world that his pass blocking was a problem. Why would a head coach single out a players weakness and tell the world? Is he in the Doghouse like they treated C Mike?
ag92tx
At this point who knows. Whole coaching staff is a mess
Slwdsm
Yea, we should run trey more while we go 3 and out averaging nothing for yards, unable to block a 4 man line, and behind many many touchdowns.
SwagObserver
I didn't say we should run Trey!!!! There are many ways to play football. They could pass the ball to him or put Tra Carson and Trey Williams in the backfield at the same time and keep him on 1st team KR with Speedy. But I do know the definition of INSANITY!
mt3950
AG
I was wondering this too...hope it isn't another cmike situation.
SwagObserver
I also want to add that this kid has run a 4.37 40 yard dash (electronic) holds the Texas High school class 5A All Time single season rushing record of 3880 yards on 427 carries. That's right 3880 yards and helped his team win the Texas 5A State Championship. How can we find out if he can be a key contributor if he's pass blocking or sitting on the bench???
Slwdsm
That's great and all, but does he know how to run routes? And does he know the plays for the slot? Can he catch better than our actual receivers?

Besides, Just because he is a great athlete doesn't mean he wants to switch positions to get more involved... Nor is it necessarily a good idea... Nor will it make a difference when our line is playing terrible.... The last three weeks they have been dropping everyone into coverage, and we still can't run the ball.
unmade bed
Really thought we would run the hell out of the ball this year and feature Trey. Instead we have gone full retard air raid with a struggling inconsistent QB. I'm guessing the 2nd half of last year's Arkansas game was just an anomaly and not really part of our offensive philosophy. Trey is awesome to watch in space, but we have been forcing him up the middle a lot this year. I don't get it.

Also have no idea why he is off KR team unless it's injury related. He was threat to house it every time. Almost won us 2012 LSU game.
Slwdsm
quote:
Really thought we would run the hell out of the ball this year and feature Trey. Instead we have gone full retard air raid with a struggling inconsistent QB. I'm guessing the 2nd half of last year's Arkansas game was just an anomaly and not really part of our offensive philosophy. Trey is awesome to watch in space, but we have been forcing him up the middle a lot this year. I don't get it.

Also have no idea why he is off KR team unless it's injury related. He was threat to house it every time. Almost won us 2012 LSU game.

You really haven't been watching the games have you?
Slwdsm
And I'm not just saying that because its a fun zoo thing to do...

He nearly returned a Kick off for a touchdown against bama... And we have tried to run the ball, but our online is too soft to block the front 4 of any of the teams we've faced for the last 3 weeks.
Mr. Lahey
AG
quote:
And I'm not just saying that because its a fun zoo thing to do...

He nearly returned a Kick off for a touchdown against bama... And we have tried to run the ball, but our online is too soft to block the front 4 of any of the teams we've faced for the last 3 weeks.

Our oline is full of coddled ******* who have been having smoke blown up their ass all off season about how they are the best oline in the country.
fulshearAg96
AG
Our running game is a joke. We advertise a 3 back rotation of speed, power, and quickness.

Which of the 3 would see a down playing for any of the SEC West contenders???? How about none!
fulshearAg96
AG
Slwdsm
quote:
Our running game is a joke. We advertise a 3 back rotation of speed, power, and quickness.

Which of the 3 would see a down playing for any of the SEC West contenders???? How about none!

Sadly, I think all 3 would get carries at most schools in the sec weat. Auburn, state, ole miss would all atleast utilize the backs we have, if not feature them.

Not sure how I feel about this, I believe in our offense, but I think some kind of change needs to be made to incorporate a better run scheme... But I also hate the read option.

SwagObserver
Why not have a series with the best players on the field at the same time. If it takes a different formation, so be it. Having 5 star athletes sit on the bench, while you're about to be blown out is just poor coaching and a lack of creativity. This offense was created by someone else and we are just a poor imitation. That is why JFF created his own offense and ran the ball. You can't keep calling the same pass plays against SEC defenses with a QB that has no blocking. You counter against a powerful defense with quickness and deception. We have that, let's atleast try it.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
If you were a HS RB, why would you even come to A&M? All RBs do is block for failed bubble screens.

What an abortion of an offense.
Ben Diamond
Some of this is on Williams, but a lot of this is on the staff for wasting a five star talent for three years.
agchugger
AG
He dances too much in the backfield instead of cutting upfield and he's football slow... Constantly caught from behind. He should be the 3rd string RB maybe even 4th option.
1876er
AG
If Trey is smart, he's working with his academic advisor to graduate early so he can transfer and play immediately next year. He was an early enrollee, so it should be achievable for him.
Bunny Ag
What do the Sumlinites have for excuses today?
78750Aggie
AG
"But I do know the definition of INSANITY!"

I'm sure TW can catch the ball as well as any o our receivers and he has been open on wheel routes, but doesn't get the ball. He is a 'feature back' that our coaching staff chooses not to feature...so is BW. Pure stupidity and waste of incredible talent.

Playing TC and running him wide is incorrectly utilizing him as well, like not getting the ball into TW hands in open space and playing WR's that continually drop balls. This offensive coaching staff is making strange decisions as a normal state.
Ben Diamond
Trey Williams, would be a star and auburns offense, or Mississippi State's offense.
JJxvi
AG
Trey Williams is a good player. He's not some kind of game breaker talent though.
SwagObserver
College football is loaded with guys that are big or fast or strong, but how many teams have a guy that Is fast/quick/strong/elusive and has vision. Trey is a rare talent that not too many teams have. He is the only player on our team that has that rare skillset . Why did we recruit all these RB's if all they do is block or run behind pass blocking?
1876er
AG
Yes he is. It's no coincidence this staff couldn't utilize the two best RBs to come out of texas in the last decade.
texasfootball97
He doesn't like summy's dj
Bunny Ag
quote:
Yes he is. It's no coincidence this staff couldn't utilize the two best RBs to come out of texas in the last decade.

lol wut
TSUAggie
We're too busy giving it to Carson on a screen and trying to run T Will up the middle. Exact opposite of how it should be. Way to go Spav.
Slwdsm
quote:
quote:

lol wut

Isn't that what they said about the sip backs brown and grey?
1876er
AG
I guess you could make an argument that Gray was better, but Trey and CMike were among the most elite of RB's in the last decade.
trickplay
You have seen us try and run the ball the last 2 seasons right?? Demarco Murrey wouldn't gain much yardage behind out line! I still don't know why more people aren't calling for our o-line coach to be fired. I guess it's because a lot of posters really have no clue about that position.
Dave Knesek
If Trey was ripping off big runs consistently, he'd be getting more carries. Right now, we're just looking for "something that works", and he's getting the same look as everyone else.
Macarthur
quote:
I also want to add that this kid has run a 4.37 40 yard dash (electronic) holds the Texas High school class 5A All Time single season rushing record of 3880 yards on 427 carries. That's right 3880 yards and helped his team win the Texas 5A State Championship. How can we find out if he can be a key contributor if he's pass blocking or sitting on the bench?

He ain't that fast on a football field. He had a clear path on that kick return. 4.37 guys don't get run down.

He's very quick and elusive, but his top end speed is not impressive.
SwagObserver
Right now for the RBs, Trey is the leading rusher, has the highest avg per carry, has the longest run, the leading RB on total offensive yards, the leading RB on All Purpose yards and has the most TD's of all RB's ,on just an average of 6.5 carries per game. On KR Trey has the highest avg per return and has the longest return. -- By the way, 75 yard kick returns are few and far between in the SEC. The angle of pursuit can catch up to anyone. Who else is doing this while pass blocking and sitting on the bench most of the game?
JeffHamilton82
Our use of RBs the last 2 1/2 seasons has been puzzling. This offense should have the RBs catch 60 passes a year. Also TW should get more time at slot receiver instead of Nedierhofer. Sumlin has flat out lied about the best players will play. A lot of the offense and defense is not the best players, in fact some of those guys need to be playing at Texas State, not Texas A&M.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.