Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

"...Kevin Sumlin, who is making $5 million a year."

7,839 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by agforlife97
No Spin Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Straight from the Dallas article linked to on the front page.

Looks like Sumlin's salary is being made an issue, and for good reason, especially after the pathetic excuse of the teams playing Saturday.

Spurrier seems to have been right in that Sumlin really is a good negotiatior.
aggiedent
AG
If you're trying to imply that Sumlin is a poor coach you're flat out wrong. He resurrected from the dead an A&M offense under RC Slocum. The man has been a great coach. Like most head coaches, he has hit a massive rock that threatens to sink the ship. Now we'll find out just how good Sumlin is in crisis mode.
sail33or
AG
A&M Administrators were so excited by Manziel they gave Sumlin about what Saban makes.

(One reason Saban will make a point to kill A&M every year.)

Manziel is gone but the $5MM still is being paid. Can you imagine who A&M could hire for this amount???
permabull
AG
Pro Sandy
AG
quote:
If you're trying to imply that Sumlin is a poor coach you're flat out wrong. He resurrected from the dead an A&M offense under RC Slocum.
I don't remember RC, the winningest coach at A&M, ever having such a stellar offense as we saw on Saturday. 59-0...
Bunny Ag
Scientific
AG
quote:
Manziel is gone but the $5MM still is being paid. Can you imagine who A&M could hire for this amount???
Like who? USC, texas, Michigan have all struggled to find "great" coaches.

Fedora isn't doing any better at UNC, and his name was at the top of the list 3 years ago.
sail33or
AG
Forgot Saban got a raise FROM $5MM to $7MM.

I wonder if Sumlins raise got Saban a raise.

Anyway, $5MM is top 5 salary and I do not think A&M is in TOP 5 league of Football Powers.
agforlife97
AG
Sumlin's recruiting alone justifies his salary. You just have to stay the course. I think it would make all of us feel better if he made some changes on defense with the staff. I'm hoping to see that this week.
sail33or
AG
I will coach A&M for $5MM.

And donate $4.75 MM back to the School to buy more shiny, shiny mod uniforms that are so popular among the losing teams.

I assure everyone I have coached before and I promise I can't win any championships either. I do promise to run the football more so games are shorter and other teams can't score as much.
Off_The_Wood
AG
quote:
Sumlin's recruiting alone justifies his salary. You just have to stay the course. I think it would make all of us feel better if he made some changes on defense with the staff. I'm hoping to see that this week.

You are an idiot. How many years did we say stars don't matter? Now that's all that matters? I'm sick of all of you who cling to the subjective star system to justify Sumlin being worth 5MM.

WE HAVE ENOUGH STARS NOT TO GET BEAT 59-0
No Spin Ag
quote:
If you're trying to imply that Sumlin is a poor coach you're flat out wrong. He resurrected from the dead an A&M offense under RC Slocum. The man has been a great coach. Like most head coaches, he has hit a massive rock that threatens to sink the ship. Now we'll find out just how good Sumlin is in crisis mode.

How has he been a great coach losing against ranked teams three weeks in a row by disasterous scores? Perhaps a good coach, but not "great".

And yes, I hope he can show that he's actually worth $5 million in crisis mode, because obviously in smooth sailing mode he hasn't shown it.
dixichkn
AG
quote:
I don't remember RC, the winningest coach at A&M, ever having such a stellar offense as we saw on Saturday. 59-0...

Then obviously you weren't alive back then. We counted on the Crew to hold everybody to 10-14 points every week because we knew that's about all our offense was capable of scoring, against the good teams at least. And there weren't very many of those. This was the SWC/B12 after all. This wasn't the beast that the SEC West is.

That being said.......yes, Sumlin is going to have to earn his keep. Starting today. This is a DISASTER of the highest level. Let's see what you're made of. If you can hold Kyler and Daylon and bring Jefferson in after this debacle.......you're doing a hell of a job on the recruiting trail at least. And btw Kyler/Daylon/Malik......if you needed any more proof than Saturday to show that you'll be able to step in immediately and contribute, I don't know what to tell you......
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Hire Johnny Football ! Fill stadium ! Excitement !
Pro Sandy
AG
You must have missed the stellar defense getting 0 points and a whole 50 yrds in the first half. Even the wrecking crew can't help that stellar offense other than defensive points.
agforlife97
AG
We all knew this was going to be a rebuilding year going into the season. We're young at almost every position. I agree it's been frustrating that the OL and WR's seem to be underperforming, and the problems at LB don't look like they are going away anytime soon. But this can be solved through recruiting (which is going better than ever) and time.

IMO though, changes need to happen in coaching on defense. It's clear Snyder is not the guy. One has to wonder if some of his personnel decisions are affecting team morale, as well.

On offense, I'm not really sure what the deal is, but if you don't have faith that Sumlin can fix that, then you haven't been paying attention.
aginlakeway
AG
quote:
A&M Administrators were so excited by Manziel they gave Sumlin about what Saban makes.

(One reason Saban will make a point to kill A&M every year.)

I have no idea. Who could we get got $5MM?
TexasAggiesWin
S
quote:
On offense, I'm not really sure what the deal is, but if you don't have faith that Sumlin can fix that, then you haven't been paying attention.

The offense has gotten progessively worse since week 1. I guess I haven't been paying attention to what is being fixed?
Ben Diamond
Sumlins recruting doesn't add up to 5 million. Sumlin was overpayed which is fine until Saturday. 5 million dollar coaches shouldbt get beat like that.
Say Chowdah
AG
quote:
How has he been a great coach losing against ranked teams three weeks in a row by disasterous scores? Perhaps a good coach, but not "great".

It is impossible to believe that our team just isn't that good yet?

We've been in the SEC for 2 seasons. Those 2 seasons we had the best player in the country behind center. We don't have him anymore. So, yes, we are rebuilding.

We're the expectations too high? Obviously. (See, the SEC Ready film - obviously we weren't).

Do I think we will be better in the future? Without a doubt! As has been said endlessly, we have the best recruiting advantages in the nation. We will see benefits from being the only team in Texas in the SEC! That isn't even a question.

I just think 2 years of having a Heisman winner as our QB has created a unrealistic expectations.
Ben Diamond
Nope, Sumlins got enough to be playing better. No energy has nothing to do with a lack of talent. Winning might be a talent issue, but not showing up is a coaching problem and yes this falls at Sumlins feet.
romanagg11
One-Trick Pony???
Ridge14
quote:
I will coach A&M for $5MM.

And donate $4.75 MM back to the School to buy more shiny, shiny mod uniforms that are so popular among the losing teams.

I assure everyone I have coached before and I promise I can't win any championships either. I do promise to run the football more so games are shorter and other teams can't score as much.

This

I'm all for it
diehard03
quote:
I just think 2 years of having a Heisman winner as our QB has created a unrealistic expectations.

This.

That said, we should not have lost 59-0. I also think Sumlin knows this and we will see what he does. He's done well to push the right buttons so far. Now, lets see how he does before we say he's not worth the money we are paying him.
agforlife97
AG
quote:
Sumlins recruting doesn't add up to 5 million.

A&M basically has never recruited as well as we are right now, so frankly, I think you're wrong.

I agree that we shouldn't get beat like this, but we're playing one of the most difficult conference schedules in college football history, with a really young, physically undersized team. This is due to a lot of factors - poor recruiting by Sherman (lack of developed upperclassmen) and lots of really unfortunate attrition (some gangbanging, but also some unfortunate injuries).
Ben Diamond
Not buying roster. When you get beat like this it's coaching.
TexasAggiesWin
S
quote:
quote:
Sumlins recruting doesn't add up to 5 million.

A&M basically has never recruited as well as we are right now, so frankly, I think you're wrong.

I agree that we shouldn't get beat like this, but we're playing one of the most difficult conference schedules in college football history, with a really young, physically undersized team. This is due to a lot of factors - poor recruiting by Sherman (lack of developed upperclassmen) and lots of really unfortunate attrition (some gangbanging, but also some unfortunate injuries).

For recruiting going so well, we sure have a lack of impact players on the field...
Ben Diamond
Bingo! When will we see this talent?
agforlife97
AG
I agree we have a coaching issue right now, especially on defense. On recruiting, most of our best players are in the 2014 class, so they are very young. 2013 class has had tons of attrition.
d78230
AG
Sumlin's going to make a crapload of money off his contract but thankfully I don't think he's the kind of guy who cares solely about the money.

His coaching legacy will be the crappy teams here if he quits on the team now and goes home to count his money.

I trust him to fix it. I just wish he'd hurry the hell up.

Fire Snyder now.
aggiedent
AG
quote:
Hire Johnny Football ! Fill stadium ! Excitement !

I wish we could hire some of his enthusiasm and fire!
SJAG75
Gotta wonder how an offensively minded coach can wind up being shut out for almost two games. We can keep recruiting all the WRs we can get a hold of but QB's got to be able to get the ball there in time. We had the same type of sorry defense the last two years but we had a scoring machine.
TheGreatScott12
AG
Hey morons. Both QB's we have are young guys. Give the man a break. He's proven his coaching ability. Not so sure about these coordinators although they also are dealing with a lot of youth. Few QB's step into their first season as fresmen/RS freshmen and have success. We don't have many options.
sail33or
AG
Sumlin thought A&M was great after the South Carolina win, didn't he.

He was dead WRONG, wasn't he.

He was so smart after that game and at the Press Conference, wasn't he.

He doesn't know what a good team looks like obviously.

Spurrier knew and stated his Team was crap. He knows. He is a coach. Can't coach crappy players to SEC Titles. Sumlin has to wait and see. Oppps, no Johnny Football!!!
Cosmo57
quote:
Forgot Saban got a raise FROM $5MM to $7MM.

I wonder if Sumlins raise got Saban a raise.

Anyway, $5MM is top 5 salary and I do not think A&M is in TOP 5 league of Football Powers.

Of course it did. Just like Bob Stoop used to get a raise ever time Mack got one. If you are the top dog in the conference the best thing that can happen to you is for other schools to overpay lessor coaches. Was the Sumlin contract premature. Of course it was. But remember why he got it. Go back and read this board a month ago. In a month this board has gone from oh my God someone else might hire him away to he the worse coach in the history of football. Sumlin has significantly increase the talent level but good recruiting to being a national power is at least a three year transition. You need two to three top classes and those players need a couple of years playing together to actually become big time college players and a complete team. The question has always been will college football most delusional fan base, yeah I'm talking about you, give Sumlin the time he needs.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.