Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The Cost of Poor QB Play in an Air Raid Offense.....

7,431 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by twk
LesterHaze
How long do you want to ignore this user?

There are on average 2.5 to 3 offensive possessions each quarter. A very average to below average Air Raid QB generates one touchdown per quarter. Remember that would still be punting two out of every three possessions or 2/3 of the time.

Let's say we had just random, below average QB play yesterday and scored one TD per quarter or 28 points. By virtue of us keeping the ball longer with scoring drives, Alabama probably scores 21 less points. That makes the game a more manageable 38-28 type affair. Remember that's with really average or even below average QB play. Good QB play in an Air Raid attack flips the scoreboard in most games.

Here is the problem. We have scored 0 points in six of our last 8 quarters. Hill is not just below average, he is absolutely abysmal.

Poor QB play in an Air Raid offense is an iceberg hitting The Titanic. It destroys everything across the entire program. Offense, defense, team morale, fan support.

There lies our Mount Everest sized problem!!
Off_The_Wood
AG
O line is equally abysmal. Teams get penetration rushing only 3-4 people. Every QB would struggle with that
LesterHaze

I would make the case that the ball is not being thrown on schedule. Think of all those Leach offenses at Tech and how quickly the ball left the QB's hands. Hill can't make the reads, nor make the throws.
OrygunAg
AG
If your o line has given up on the qb that might explain it.
amejiajr
quote:
O line is equally abysmal. Teams get penetration rushing only 3-4 people. Every QB would struggle with that
this
weeza
AG
quote:
Slow QB decisions also affect this. And one way to slow the rush is to sprint the QB. Problem is KHnis slower than I am (I'm 52).
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
He seemed to be hanging on to the ball way too long yesterday. Combine that with a struggling offensive line and you have disaster
Citizen Reign
quote:
quote:
this

Every starter on the Oline needs to be benched. Everyone one of them is lazy.
BigWhig
AG
The zoo figured it out. The team is sabotaging Hill because he yakked at NG last week and now Jimmy Johnson is in town interviewing. Nothing gets by us.
DM44
OL is the first issue.

If front four (or THREE) can penetrate, stop the run and get pressure on the QB, everyone else can pick up a receiver and stop the down field passing attack. This is now the third SEC West game that this has happened.

The OL can't do the basics. They appear confused at times and are just getting whipped.

KH is no Manziel, we've seen that. He has the ability, remember first game, but he has zero confidence. His problem is that after the first game, defenses had tape to study and figured out the post-Manziel offense.

When the backup has gone in, he hasn't had any success either...showing that he can do any better.

Sumlin has a serious problem that cannot be easily be fixed. OL coach has failed, needs to go. OC may need to go. Snyder may need to go too, but I don't think Sumlin can fire both OC and DC this season. Would cause too much havoc and kill his recruiting. Also, I fear that the SEC defenses have figured out Sumlin's offense and how to stop it.

Most serious issue, too many players quit yesterday. Those players have no heart and have no place on this team. Sumlin's personality may be at issue. Maybe too much like Mack Brown and not enough discipline or accountability.
LesterHaze

While OL has issues, I do not think it is the first issue. When Hill has had time, and open WR's down field, he misses the throw. Not once, but 9 out of 10 times.

Hill is not a Division I or even Division II QB in my opinion. Many of his balls are so far off target, that it's disturbing.

He looks like he hit a half court shot or something at a basketball game, and won a chance to play QB.
rhutton125
AG
quote:
If your o line has given up on the qb that might explain it.

Yeah, I don't buy this. Cedric should be using this season to vault into a top-10 pick. With three bad games in a row, it's unlikely he goes in the first.

There's no scenario where a player would destroy their own draft stock in their senior year because they were upset about the QB choice on the heels of a 5-0 start.
mpaggie06
AG
Oh, this **** again? Let Reggie play!!! It's all the QB's fault! No way it's on the myriad of other problems that are obvious to anyone with an IQ over 20...
Rebbasser
AG
I watched the fsu-nd game last night and couldn't help but notice how fast both QBs got rid of the ball. In a blitz situation the ball was consistently gone in 2 seconds. KH would have been buried in the turf in every one of those situations. Work on that and we may have a chance.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Also, I fear that the SEC defenses have figured out Sumlin's offense and how to stop it.

I don't think I have seen a "Sumlin offense" in the last several games. More like <shudder> Fran or RC.

But look at Arkansas, huge Oline, power running backs, serviceable defense. Can't beg, borrow nor steal a win.

monarch
S
For some of you who don't know, which appears to be just about everybody, we have not been running the Air Raid Offense, the Run & Shoot, the West Coast offense, the whatever- whatever offense for approx. 4+ games now.

The only game we truly have ran the Air Raid offense is Carolina. This type of offense generates 3-4 plays per minute and we did that against Carolina. We continued kinda against Lamar, began to slow up against Rice (as they controlled the ball more) and maybe did it half the game against SMU. By the time we hit Arkansas, we ran it a tad in the first Q and that was it. If we are going to be successful, we need to have two things, in regards to the type of offense we run:
(1). A mobile, smart, experienced QB
(2). The heart and balls to stick with the offense come hell or high water.

You looking for blame? A lot of the blame goes to the person who is calling plays that aren't really part of this offense, ie, WHO THE F*** CALLED FIVE RUNNING PLAYS IN OUR FIRST TWO SERIES OF DOWNS AGANIST OLE MISS? In this offense, the pass generates the success of the run and in the Ole Miss game, we did the reverse.
KendraBCSRealtor
Our problems are not program wide. The sky is not falling. Everything is going just about as expected, save one position out of twenty two starters.
The Real Maroon Blood
AG
quote:
You looking for blame? A lot of the blame goes to the person who is calling plays...

This is all you had to say...
mid90
AG
quote:
Our problems are not program wide. The sky is not falling. Everything is going just about as expected, save one position out of twenty two starters.

Wat
ashley
Poor quarterback in any offense is bad.
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
What Ashley said

Plus...we're going too slow,, not going down field, not going over the middle ...very predictable play calling
SR90
Let Reggie play. LOL. Haven't heard that one since I was in school.
d78230
AG
No additional offense to Kenny but besides having an etoh issue, he's slow slow slow. Dude has little to no escapability or agility. It's painful watching him run. Takes forever to get upto speed and when he gets there he's 4.85 maybe.

I'd love to see his sparq score.

chase128
AG
quote:
bowser222
S
Smoke draw = diamond formation

Thats it, the zoo is calling plays from now on
Texmid
AG
TEMPO is key to the success of Sumlin's offense. By executing the offense quickly you force the defense into mistakes. For some reason we have been unable to go fast. WHY? We did against USCe and it worked beautifully.
EllisCoAg
AG
Last time I saw our offense was the first series against MSU, since it has been WTF. Against MSU, our receivers develop a case of the drops. Against Ole Miss, I think the coaches respected their secondary too much and did not attack and felt like we had to run first to set up the pass. By the Bama game, we were just a head case with no confidence, executing or play calling.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Last time I saw our offense was the first series against MSU, since it has been WTF.
Yeah, feels that way to me as well. Record number of drops indicated at least they were trying to air raid it out. But you don't abandon the offensive scheme because of poor execution, work on improving the execution.

Our players had been practicing that offense since spring training. And it worked brilliantly against South Carolina. Trying to change it up, dial it way back was in essence an admission that the coaches didn't have faith in the scheme or faith in their players.
twk
AG
quote:
For some of you who don't know, which appears to be just about everybody, we have not been running the Air Raid Offense, the Run & Shoot, the West Coast offense, the whatever- whatever offense for approx. 4+ games now.

The only game we truly have ran the Air Raid offense is Carolina. This type of offense generates 3-4 plays per minute and we did that against Carolina. We continued kinda against Lamar, began to slow up against Rice (as they controlled the ball more) and maybe did it half the game against SMU. By the time we hit Arkansas, we ran it a tad in the first Q and that was it. If we are going to be successful, we need to have two things, in regards to the type of offense we run:
(1). A mobile, smart, experienced QB
(2). The heart and balls to stick with the offense come hell or high water.

You looking for blame? A lot of the blame goes to the person who is calling plays that aren't really part of this offense, ie, WHO THE F*** CALLED FIVE RUNNING PLAYS IN OUR FIRST TWO SERIES OF DOWNS AGANIST OLE MISS? In this offense, the pass generates the success of the run and in the Ole Miss game, we did the reverse.
OK, I'm no X's and O's expert, but the Air Raid is a scheme, not a matter of tempo. You can run the West Coast offense up tempo (we did this with Tannehill) just as you can run the Air Raid up tempo. My understanding is that one of the things that sets the Air Raid apart from, say, the West Coast offense, is that it is a very simple offense, where the burden of reading the defense isn't all placed on the QB--both the receivers and QB have to make reads, and for it to work, they have to be making the same read. I think we're having a real issue with this, but determining whether its the recievers or the QB who is making the wrong read is something I can't tell.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.