Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

25 Million Down the Drain

9,488 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Sparkie
12thmanfootball
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
see ya later Summy.
ag92tx
He gone.
gigumaggie
AG
You'll be the same guy sayin pay him whatever he wants when he rights the ship....gtfo
SeattleAgJr
IF. He rights the ship.

He got lucky that he had JFF and a whole hell of a lot of other people no longer on this team.

Now we see what he does with his guys, and so far it is not too damn impressive.
BeefAg_00~
If we is hard core on keeping this air raid **** he better bring in guys that know how to call plays that make sense.
bigboykin
AG
How much did we spend on the last two losers who never got to double-digit wins?
12thmanfootball
AG
I found a solution, hire this guy:
bigboykin
AG
Punting is the only thing we're decent at.
AGinHI
AG
I remember when Sumlin stepped in for a failing Dino Babers and there was an immediate and significant difference in our offense.

In my opinion, we're way too influenced by the overnight success of a coach like Saban (who really is an outlier among coaches as he took LSU from a dismal decade to a national championship in four years) and other coaches who were successful at already established programs (Bob Stoops at OU, Jim Tressel at Ohio State, Pete Carroll at USC, Urban Meyer at Florida, Les Miles at LSU following Saban's departure, etc. *). Those coaches came in and won fast, but those were already destination schools.

Took Tom Osborne 22 years

Bobby Bowden 18 years

Joe Paterno 17 years

Mack Brown 8 years

Phillip Fulmer 7 years

Steve Spurrier 7 years

I wouldn't even pretend to know what the problem is, but if we give up on Sumlin now I think we'd regret it.

*I'd call Chizik's situation an outlier as well.
SwagObserver
This offense will never be successful in the SEC without a running QB who can compensate for Horrible play calling. We lost the OC that knows how to run it and Sumlin did not create this offense anyway. it has become obvious that the Peter Theory is alive and kicking. Lets see if some other team wants him.
coupland boy
AG
quote:

Wow! That's worth watching guys.
Here4Beer
AG
Damn pretty good video
Bonfire96
AG
You mean $500 million down the drain?
coupland boy
AG
Sumlin's not going anywhere so we'll have the opportunity to see how this plays out. Just like things weren't as good as they seemed a few weeks ago things aren't nearly as bad as they seem now. After sleeping on it I AM truly embarrassed and disappointed though. This one hurts.

I am not going to give up on Coach Sumlin though.
coupland boy
AG
quote:
You mean $500 million down the drain?

We expanded Kyle for the 2014 team only?
Fsanmig
With the renovations ,did we also buy a tarp to cover up those upcoming empty seats ?!?
Bonfire96
AG
Exactly! We make fun of tu having a 3/4 full 100,000 seat stadium. There's a pattern forming with Sumlin that he better break, and SOON.
FarmerJohn
AG
quote:
Took Tom Osborne 22 years

And never won fewer than 9 games. But completely different era.
grl38
AG
my biggest fear: Does Sumlin know what to do at this point? Not one aspect of our game is working! gotta score points and Kenny cannot handle this when things break down. our defense was worn out by the first quarter! Kenny has to take a seat for starters!
coupland boy
AG
I have yet to speak up about sitting Kenny but there's no choice now. Give Allen a try to see if the team responds better to him.
Ribby P
TXAGFAN
AG
quote:
With the renovations ,did we also buy a tarp to cover up those upcoming empty seats ?!?
Nothing to do with Sumlin and I'd never root against our school, but I hope all the a-holes who upped their season tix to the max (8 I believe) choke on them.
SantaFeAg
See ya Summy. Was a big supporter
permabull
AG
Meximan
Chicken Littles all over the place. The Aggies just played three straight top five teams, and all three are legit title contenders.

A&M doesn't have the talent to compete with that yet, and won't for another three years, provided they continue to recruit at a top-five level. Saban once took a 31-0 loss to Fran in Death Valley, and a 31-7 loss to Auburn.

Other epic Saban losses:

1995:
50-10 Nebraska
45-14 @Wisconsin

1996:
55-14 @Nebraska
38-0 Stanford

1997:
51-23 Washington

1998:
48-14 @Oregon

1999:
52-28 @Purdue
40-10 @Wisconsin

His yearly record at MSU:
1995: 6-5-1
1996: 6-6
1997: 7-5
1998: 7-5 (one win vacated)
1999: 9-2 (did not coach bowl game)

At LSU:
2000: 8-4
2001: 10-3
2002: 8-5
2003: 13-1
2004: 9-3

Sumlin's first two years at A&M: 11-2 and 9-4. If he falls to "only" eight wins this year, he'll actually be on a better pace at A&M than Saban was at LSU. And he's doing it with teams far less talented than those LSU teams Saban commanded.
Newoldarmy
AG
^ this
JeffHamilton82
Only way I would fire Sumlin to is if he goes 5-7 or 6-7. Which are highly unlikely. I do admit that the 3 year trend looks bad for him. And it we do finish 6-7 and we don't fire him then it will be interesting to see how many people bail on their capital commitments for next season!
Sparkie
AG
quote:
If he falls to "only" eight wins this year, he'll actually be on a better pace at A&M than Saban was at LSU

What the **** are you talking about?

Saban took an 3-8 team (1999) and within two years won the SEC.

In 2002, the quarter back got hurt and the wheels came off for an 8-5 season.

2003 was the MNC.

Sumlin has not accomplished anything like Saban did.
LaurAg
Agree with Farmer John if Osborne was winning 9 games. Took Mack brown 8 yrs to win the natty, but he was competing in his conf 2-3 yrs in. Winning it all is not a rational goal until you start competing for your conference.

Laura
coupland boy
AG
Mack generally overwhelmed opposing teams with superior talent except for getting hammered by ou. Still had some other embarrassing losses those early years.

Our road is a little tougher since we're playing against some teams that have recruited very well over the long haul and we're playing catch up.
rocky the dog
AG
quote:
He would be great to have as our coach. Play the odds for a better chance to win.
FrontPorchAg
No one is firing Sumlin for at least another couple years.
stetson
AG
I'll just say that Sumlin should be sending weekly checks to JFF. Without Johnny Sumlin would have gone at most 8-5 in 2012 with losses to Ole Miss, La Tech and Alabama and 6-7 in 2013 with losses to Ole Miss, MSU and Duke. The coach that Johnny built.
BQ88
AG
I don't buy it that we need to give him 3 more years before he can compete. Take a look at Ole Miss and Miss State. Just a few years ago, they weren't nearly as competitive as they are now. They don't out-recruit Bama, LSU, or Auburn. Their facilities aren't nearly as nice either.

Guess what? Hugh Freeze has been at Ole Miss the same amount of time that Sumlin has been at A&M. Less resources, less support, lower ranked recruiting classes. What's the difference here?
aeon-ag
My personel thought is that Sumlin's ship is sinking, Capt. Johnny is gone. No coach has lost with such great margin and not even scoring and survived here. After two years of exciting play with less talent and games in the balance to the end, now we lose three in a row with the last loss being a terrible embarrassment. Recruiting is shot, being on national TV doomed that. I hope we don't go to a bowl game, we don't need any more national coverage like this. If Sumlin can turn it around more power to him, I just don't see it happening. Fran couldn't I don't see Sumlin doing it either.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.