Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Summy's Finding Out...,

9,984 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Picadillo
maroonthrunthru
How long do you want to ignore this user?
....that he really needs a true dual threat QB to have success in the SEC with his offense...

Doesn't have to be JFF, but you have to have the threat of the QB running out of trouble...

Keeps defenses honest in coverage and gives DC's something else to Gameplan for...

I thought KH would be successful in this offense, however, with questionable accuracy shown and limited running skills or desire shown, seems pretty easy to gameplan for...

Drops don't help, either...

When you've finished reading this... Get off my lawn !!!!
BostonMike
AG
very true.

I am also wondering how much better JF made our last 2 years o line look.
Bottlehead90
AG
Is there an offense that doesn't benefit from a mobile quarterback?
Artorias
AG
Either that or utilize your run game intelligently... as in not having your freakin' power back running sweeps all game against one of the fastest defenses in the country. Something like that.
AgBeliever
AG
The main thing is to stretch the field (vertically and horizontally) and make defenses respect both the pass and the run.

You don't need a dual option quarterback to do that. Although having one keeps the D on their toes and tends to wear them down over the game.
AgBeliever
AG
quote:
not having your freakin' power back running sweeps all game against one of the fastest defenses in the country

For three weeks in a row now I have seen sweeps to Carson. It's okay to change things up once in a while (to keep Ds guessing), but to do this consistently is just stupid. B Will and Trey on the outside and screens. Carson between the tackles. How hard is that to get right?
AgBeliever
AG
quote:
very true.

The thing about Johnny was that he made it basically impossible for DCs to plan a scheme. They never knew what Johnny was going to do. Nobody did, including Johnny. His skill to improvise was incredible.
agmrpink
AG
Peyton's not mobile. He sucks.
Frok
AG
You don't need a dual-threat QB if the running game is working. Sumlin said multiple times that the lack of running has been a problem and he's right.
Crandall
AG
I don't know about JFF making the line look better.

I seem to remember Johnny standing in the pocket sometimes for what seemed like eternity waiting for an open receiver.

The line when JFF was here was really really good.
90%Ag
AG
quote:

As evidenced by his lack of championships.

You were being sarcastic. I'm not.
AgBeliever
AG
The OLine this year was supposed to be one of the best in the nation.

Sure hasn't looked like it the past three weeks.
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
quote:
not having your freakin' power back running sweeps all game against one of the fastest defenses in the country

For three weeks in a row now I have seen sweeps to Carson. It's okay to change things up once in a while (to keep Ds guessing), but to do this consistently is just stupid. B Will and Trey on the outside and screens. Carson between the tackles. How hard is that to get right?

this.
Houstonag
AG
If KH would just role out or at least try not to get sacked would help. Play calling and play design does not match his strengths or weaknesses. He can run and he is big enough to make a difference. Just hold on to the ball, complete a pass or throw it away. Just do not throw interceptions of fumble.
Frok
AG
The O-Line during JFF's tenure was good but IMO a bit overrated. Defenses wouldn't blitz Johnny because of his play-making ability. He absolutely made the line look better than it was because they didn't have to deal with as much pressure. Now that threat isn't there and they are getting abused.
Knife_Party
I think what we're seeing is that our current tackles are not as goos as they were in their previous positions and our current guards are not as good as our current tackles. Imo Ced is a much better RT than LT and Ifedi was much better at guard. He seems to be a step too slow to deal with the outside blizters. Generally speakiing our OL is not performing though. Will that improve? Idk. Having an off year or even two is something that happens (eg. Bama's corner play).
GeronimoAg
AG
Don't think that a true dual threat QB is absolutely necessary. We obviously know it can be a huge advantage. But if the QB is not going to present a real threat to hurt you consistently with the run, then they absolutely have to execute and excel in the passing game.
AgBeliever
AG
Our OTs have struggled at times. Our C has struggled at times. And our LG, who is back from an injury, is not playing as well as his replacement did.

RG is about the only bright spot on our line. And I thought that would be our weak link.
GigEmMortis
AG
quote:
I don't know about JFF making the line look better.

I seem to remember Johnny standing in the pocket sometimes for what seemed like eternity waiting for an open receiver.

The line when JFF was here was really really good.
While this is very true, defenses couldn't rush the QB against us like they could against almost any other team. If they pushed up the field too much, Johnny was taking off. They had to dial back their defensive line pressure in hopes of trying to "contain" Johnny, in addition to our OL being being very good.
AG
quote:
quote:

As evidenced by his lack of championships.

You were being sarcastic. I'm not.

Well, he has exactly one more championship ring than 99% of the guys who have been starting qb's in the NFL.
eAGer
AG
Kenny said he doesn't like to run, but he needs to decide he likes to do whatever it takes to win (within the rules, of course). If that means he rips off a 20 yard scramble every few series, so be it. I keep thinking we'll see a QB draw every once in a while, then I remember he said that and realize it won't happen. He seems to be a decent runner when he runs, or is at least somewhat difficult to tackle in the open field, so it's a shame he won't do it more. He could do a lot to open up this offense. He definitely needs to hang on to the ball when he does, though.
Sq 17
JFF first year he had 2 top ten pick caliber NFL lineman
JFF second Year he had 1 top ten pick caliber and one probable first rounder NFL lineman
THis year we have a first rounder and good players but not great

2 nfl caliber lineman is like having 2 lock down corners
it lets the coordinators do lots of creative scheming because
they do not have to worry about protecting those guys
SARATOGA
I think we need an accurate Qb hitting the receivers in stride more than a mobile one.

JFF was both.

I think Kenny is plenty mobile. But the receivers having to stop or reach back or adjust to balls kills the play design.
dannyv
AG
quote:
Don't think that a true dual threat QB is absolutely necessary. We obviously know it can be a huge advantage. But if the QB is not going to present a real threat to hurt you consistently with the run, then they absolutely have to execute and excel in the passing game.
Agree. A dual-threat is not necessary. An accurate QB is, though.
Texags is garbage
Only on TexAgs would I see somebody say that Peyton Manning sucks. The Zoo never fails me.
SARATOGA
and Johnny didn't run because the offensive line blocking broke down, he ran because the other team was playing MAN COVERAGE and running with receivers and nobody was watching him leaking out of the backfield.
1876er
AG
If only we had a few stud RBs and a star offensive line to run the ball.
fishinaggiegirl
AG
quote:
Only on TexAgs would I see somebody say that Peyton Manning sucks. The Zoo never fails me.
Obviously, with his 506 touchdowns he is the worst qb ever
aggiedent
AG
quote:

JFF often times had an eternity back there to go through reads, even against some of the better SEC defenses. They were great O-lines.
aggiebrad94
AG
I know a secret...Sumlin knew this already. You guys think just because he doesn't tell you every thought in his head at the press conference or confess his team's biggest weakness that he somehow doesn't know.

I assure you that the coaches know why we win and lose much better than you guys.
VA_Ag94
AG
you don't need a dual threat QB for this offense to work.. what you need is a QB that can throw down field accurately!!
agneck
Agree. Need a dual threat QB. That gives you 12 men on the field to their 11. Get real. Dual threat is needed. Johnny was great and didn't realize how important to this Sumlin type of offense.
oldarmy1
AG
Disagree. Just need a QB who can and will fire the ball down field.
swc93
AG
A dull threat quarterback really makes the defense stay home and effort accounting for him leaving the pocket. They can't drop linebackers into coverage and leave gaps unprotected because once the quarterback breaks free a couple times things will really start to snow ball and the CB's will have to be more cognizant of where the QB is at all times or risking getting turned around while defending the receiver and leave themselves open to the come-back pass.

Point being, and I've said this for years, that the hardest route to defend is a come-back when the CB's back is turned. Almost every CB will have his back turned at some point when you are running a vertical route in man coverage. When the receiver stops and comes back, he will almost ALWAYS have a huge advantage on the defender.

It's time we start using this a bit more.
bigblackag12
AG
quote:
quote:

JFF often times had an eternity back there to go through reads, even against some of the better SEC defenses. They were great O-lines.

They were truly great o-lines. Johnny always had an eternity in the pocket and usually took off when there still was a safe pocket for him.

Part of our struggles stems from an undersized center and the shuffle at the tackle position. Going from guard to tackle is a learning curve as is going from RT to LT. But the center and gaurd play, namely matthews and jarvis, has left a lot to be desired.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.