Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Miss St is ranked 121

10,838 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Allen76
GoneForGood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Against the pass giving up 319 yards a game. I think we will move the ball with ease against the puppies. The question again is our defense. I hope our guys aren't too beat up after last week.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tamu-football/early-look-mississippi-state/
brownbrick
AG
Didn't we say the same thing about Arkansas last game? A couple penalties, a couple dropped passes and what happens to this offense?

I'm not saying they shut us down, but let's at least take a good look in the mirror. What was Arkansas pass defense ranked before our game with them?
Twelfthman
AG
Arkansas's pass defense is 50 yds/g better, even after Kenny Hill put up 386 yards against them.
Rod Tidwell
AG
quote:
A couple penalties, a couple dropped passes and what happens to this offense?

The same thing that happens to any and every other offense that drops passes & commits penalties.

sshm
AG
quote:
Didn't we say the same thing about Arkansas last game? A couple penalties, a couple dropped passes and what happens to this offense?

I'm not saying they shut us down, but let's at least take a good look in the mirror. What was Arkansas pass defense ranked before our game with them?

You're right. We should just go ahead and assume statistical outliers of suckage will happen every week.

That's a much more fun way to approach the season.

Also, Arkansas was allowing 242 yards per game on average through the air after 4 games. Their two worst performances were...

293 to Auburn (219 per game avg)
252 to Texas Tech (344 per game avg)

And despite our receivers sucking for 3 quarters, we still put up 386 yards in the air, 93 more yards than Arkansas' worst performance.

Mississippi State has allowed 319 yards per game on average through the air after 4 games. Their 4 performances were...

435 to UAB (267.8 per game avg)
341 to LSU (236.6 per game avg)
288 to South Alabama (198.5 per game avg)
212 to USM (235.6 per game avg)
GoneForGood
sshm is saying exactly what I'm thinking. That if miss st allows those schools to throw on them like that, our offense will have zero issue moving the ball. If we can get them behind early they will be forced to play catch up like SCe
grl38
AG
point spread is two in favor of ms. I do not by it but........... could be even and two points represent home field advantage?
vander54
S
It's funny listening to them defending their pass D. It reminds me of us trying to defend our D last year
sarancher
Brewmaster
AG
They have a front 7 built to stop Bama and LSU run games. Arguably best front 7 in the SEC, but their secondary gives up more yards per catch and per game than any other SEC school.
Kenny will hit 500 yards passing...can't wait!
spaceman
AG
Agree with previous posters. We have a great passing game, State is supposedly terrible at pass defense. We cannot be the only ones who know this ... and yet the odds are basically 50/50. Why?
Starkvegas
Go ahead and get wool about a worthless stat. It's getting closer, the reckoning.
zephyr88
AG
quote:
The question again is our defense.

Getting better every week.
goags2
AG
Only if Kenny Hill gets accurate sooner and the receivers do their job; could get ugly.
HappyMaroon
AG
I was glad to see KH finish the Arkansas game throwing well. Honestly, it looked like he was off rhythm even going back to his last drives against Lamar, it's just that our offense hid those problems against poor competition (Lamar and SMU). The funk finally ended when he had his back against the wall down by 14, and he came through brilliantly (and our receivers started helping out as well). If we pick up where we left off at the end of the Ark game, we will be fine.

I suspect the vegas line line reflects a lack of confidence that we will execute well on offense. I think we will based on the Arky finish, but no fault to oddsmakers if they don't share that optimism.
PlanetAggie
AG
Sumlin.

No need for stats.
Scantron882
AG
Maybe not call the reverses this week
OrygunAg
AG
Hope kh has been working on his ball placement. They are going to force long passes just like Arky did. If the Ags come out flat like Arky then Ags in trouble again. And yeah the tosses behind the marker and reverses would seem counterproductive. Then again they might be using those to loosen up the d or see something they can exploit. Our mortal college football minds probably can't see it.
sharpdressedman
quote:
Agree with previous posters. We have a great passing game, State is supposedly terrible at pass defense. We cannot be the only ones who know this ... and yet the odds are basically 50/50. Why?
It is puzzling. I have no answer.
phatbeast
AG
Because MSU is the perennial dark horse to win the West and this year OMG THEY BEAT LSU SO THIS IS IT!!!1!! Plus, it doesn't matter how bad the other guy's pass defense is if your receivers have hands of stone. I'd guess that's why it's around 50/50.
AggieOC
AG

Meximan
MSU actually has a pretty badass offense on paper, too; the Vegas formulas must have churned out a result with huge numbers favorable to them. Put it on a neutral site, though, A&M opens as a one point favorite; home field is what makes MSU the favorite by two.

Bottom line, each team's strength plays to the other team's weakness at this point.
CrottyKid
AG
RB pass protection will be key. MSU knows they need to bring middle pressure.
Mr.KyleReed
AG
quote:
quote:

The same thing that happens to any and every other offense that drops passes & commits penalties.

Try to take over the world!!
spaceman
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Try to take over the world!!
up-n-aTm
AG
I don't think Spav and the play calling got enough blame for our poor start. We weren't hitting the quick 8-10 yard completions using HUNH like we usually do. I'm hoping we get back to that this week and come out of the gate fast with a couple of quick strikes. Let's do what we do best!
blsag
quote:
Only if Kenny Hill gets accurate sooner and the receivers do their job; could get ugly.
Don't know if Germans, I cant spend all day on Texags, even if I wanted. But I agree Kenny has not been accurate a lot of the time especially with the deep ball. If he tunes it in a bit, we will be OK. Oh yeah, I asked my dog for suggestions to improve Kenny's accuracy, but he wasn't much help.
phatbeast
AG
quote:
MSU actually has a pretty badass offense on paper, too; the Vegas formulas must have churned out a result with huge numbers favorable to them. Put it on a neutral site, though, A&M opens as a one point favorite; home field is what makes MSU the favorite by two.

Bottom line, each team's strength plays to the other team's weakness at this point.
Actually, A&M opened as a 1-1.5-point favorite. It's just been bet down to an MSU advantage.
beerad12man
AG
quote:

Kenny's accuracy is fine.
fishinaggiegirl
AG
If we can minimize the penalties we are getting each game, all will be good!
Either way AGS WIN
PFlat
AG
quote:
I don't think Spav and the play calling got enough blame for our poor start. We weren't hitting the quick 8-10 yard completions using HUNH like we usually do. I'm hoping we get back to that this week and come out of the gate fast with a couple of quick strikes. Let's do what we do best!
we barely went hurry up at all. we went "no huddle, check with me" for about 80% of our snaps vs arkie.
Tamu_mgm
AG
quote:

I am very happy I do not know you, nor watch football games with you. Your lack of knowledge would make me very frustrated.
Post removed:
by user
Chickenhawk
quote:
Sumlin.

No need for stats.

Winner.
aggiebrad94
AG
Just like Tceh last year, Ole Miss and Miss St two years ago, they are a rankings darling. Everyone wants them to do well and they have good talent. They just haven't gotten over the hump with a great season in a long time. They're due and no one wants to be late to the party.

That's why you're seeing so much love for the dogs.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.