Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Interesting point brought up by Finebaum...

14,456 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by cecil77
Meximan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And it came out of the discussion today on SEC coaches leaving a job for another SEC school.

I took a quick look, and - without doing some serious sleuthing - I think I have "proof" to back up claims that A&M is a destination job: no coach except Bear Bryant (and maybe Dana Bible) has ever voluntarily left A&M for another job.

Not that I could see, that is... it looks like nearly every one of them except for maybe Dana Bible and Bear Bryant were either fired when they failed to deliver or were forced to resign. "And?" That means nobody leaves A&M for another job.

Ever.

Bear Bryant was a special case - Bama was his home, and A&M wasn't then what it is now - and I can't actually find whether Bible left A&M on his own to take the Nebraska job, or whether he was forced out after '28 when his team flopped. In any case, no coach since Bryant has left A&M to make a lateral move; they all were either fired or forced out due to various circumstances.

This is relevant to the sports conversations today because of the talk of other schools and their fans wanting to poach Sumlin. Sorry folks... not happening.

NFL? Maybe. Just not anytime soon.

If anyone has stories of the old days and tales of how those coaches came to be fired or wound up at other schools, hey, this is the right place for it; fire away with those golden nuggets of history that may otherwise have been forgotten. But that was my observation for today; A&M is truly the last step along the path... unless you get canned.
RebelAg10
AG
I think that stat is a little skewed.

I don't think we have had--until recently-- the coaching caliber for the NFL to come calling (i.e., Bama, Florida, etc.). So, arriving as an SEC powerhouse does give way to more NFL poaching, but I'll take the bad with the good that infinitely outweighs it.
Slicer97
AG
I was just about to say, maybe it just means our history of hiring coaches just ain't all that great.
TexanJeff
AG
We will see if KDS leaves if we go find a coach or a coach finds us...
Paul Biegler, Esq.
AG
We've had several successful coaches since Bryant. Nobody knows when and how many chances they had to leave to go elsewhere. Just because a coach ends up getting fired or resigns doesn't mean he didn't have the chance to go elsewhere at some point in his tenure. Bellard, Sherrill, and Slocum all had success at A&M, and I know that Slocum had several opportunities to leave but didn't.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
^What a great handle
Agsttt
.......said no one ever.
NyAggie
AG
RC was courted by the AZ cardinals in the early 90's but told them no thanks.
cecil77
AG
We could be a destination, or just as easily it could be that we've never had a coach that somebody else wanted badly.
kb2001
AG
How else do you expect coaches to leave the job besides leaving for another job or getting fired/forced out? Other situations are extremely rare, I'd guess that more leave for personal/health reasons than actually retire

Name the coaches who have retired following recent success without any kind of personal issues or conflict with the AD

Bill Snyder is the only one I can think of, and he came back a few years later. Even Bobby Bowden was forced out, and he basically made FSU a program worth talking about. Coaches don't retire while they're on top. You're probably more likely to see him die
Paradise Ag
AG
Jackie Sherrill left a big-time Pitt team to come to Aggieland after we came within a whisker of gettin' Schembechler from Michigan. Yep, Bo Schembechler.

Fran, as hard as it is to take now, was the national hot hire when we got him.

Matter of fact, the sips quit playing us once before, way back in the day, because our coach was too much of an advantage (ie. he was kickin' their ass).

We must have some panache and have had it for a while.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
quote:

Matter of fact, the sips quit playing us once before, way back in the day, because our coach was too much of an advantage (ie. he was kickin' their ass).

I think the coach was Charlie Moran and I don't think they actually quit playing us but they made us get rid of him because our players were too mean to them. We should have kept him as coach and just let the sips walk
AMF 2 AMC
AG
Gene Stallings?

We've been more of a coach graveyard, but a few did go on to bigger programs.

I think it's fair to say we're a destination program, and that will become even more true. Sumlin has proven that A&M has everything you need to win big at the highest level.

We can't cherry pick any coach in the country (it's harder than ever now; ask Dodds), but we'll have no shortage of talented coaches lining up for consideration.
Houston Summit
AG
quote:
.......said no one ever.

Came here to post this
InnerCityAg
Moran
Space91
AG
If someone were crazy enough to give me the head coaching job at A&M and Sumlin's salary there is no way I'd ever leave. You have to pry the whistle from my cold dead hands.
JJxvi
AG
Stallings got fired.
aglaes
AG
Maybe we've never had a coach that anybody else wanted - until Sumlin.
EVA3
AG
Bryant told A&M he would stay and build us a power if we would make the Corps non-compulsory and admit women. When the administration refused, he left for Alabama.
jml2621
quote:
Bryant told A&M he would stay and build us a power if we would make the Corps non-compulsory and admit women. When the administration refused, he left for Alabama.
just ahead of his time.
19 inch cobra
So, OP, are you going to tell us what point Finebaum made? I'm still waiting in suspense.
William_C_G
AG
Bryant left because his alma mater came calling. And because his wife greatly preferred Tuscaloosa to College Station.
ag92tx
quote:
19 inch cobra

How do you have 44 posts and still a rookie?
Thudman
quote:
quote:

I think the coach was Charlie Moran and I don't think they actually quit playing us but they made us get rid of him because our players were too mean to them. We should have kept him as coach and just let the sips walk
It is Charlie Moron, you Moran!
oldjohnny
Only inbred retards listen to Finebaum
Andrew99
AG
I would consider Alabama a destination job, but that didn't stop us from poaching their head coach. Even if it did ultimately backfire on us.
AnalogyAg
Meximan should not be a reporter, that's for sure.

dannyv
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm pretty sure what happened was that they demanded we get rid of him or they would cancel the series (I believe this was 1911). We didn't, so they stopped playing us. Then, when conferences were being formed, they got the inside track and were able to approve or disapprove our entrance. Again, they demanded we get rid of our coach, and this time we did so we could have a seat in the conference. This is why there is a gap in the series between 1911 and 1915. Charlie was the first Aggie coach to beat the Horns with consistency (3 times in a row leading up to their demand), and they didn't take kindly. They liked things rigged against us, and not much has changed in 100 years.

Any historians want to correct that if wrong?
SpicewoodAg
AG
quote:
I would consider Alabama a destination job, but that didn't stop us from poaching their head coach. Even if it did ultimately backfire on us.

Fran left Alabama at least partially to escape NCAA sanctions that were not his fault.
Ian Neff
AG
Finebaum literally JUST asked,

"Who would have predicted that SCe would have lost to A&M and then turn around two weeks later and beat Georgia?"
bigblackag12
AG
Ian did. I forgive paul finebaum becaw he knows not
Ian Neff
AG
Thank you kindly, BBA.
NavyAg92
AG
If KDS leaves, you're getting Snyder as the new HC and YOU WILL like it!
lefty8
Bama wasnt home to bear bryant, he isnt from there. He is from arkansas. Just thought id throw in this piece of info
CentexAg
AG
Slocum was on his way to Baton Rouge before bonfire fell. That's the only reason he stayed.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.