Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Breaking Down the Aggie Offense - Week 4 (Warning: Long)

4,582 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by tegrothe
Codeno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Welcome to the week 4 breakdown of the2014 Fightin' Texas Aggie offense.

For those that are reading my breakdown for the first time, here are the threads from the first three weeks:

Week 1: http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2518225/
Week 2: http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2523533/
Week 3: http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2527229/

Other than the terrible start saved by Malcolm's great catch on 3rd down, the Aggies moved down the field with ease without exerting much effort. The game was in hand within 10 minutes, because everyone
knew SMU wasn't going to be able to score more than 10 points. Once again the opposition had the time of possession advantage but that's becoming the norm for the Aggies. Our average scoring drive was under two minutes, no doubt aided by the one play, 70-yard strike to Reynolds before the half. We did a great job
on first down, averaging almost 5 yards when we didn't pick up another first down. The run to pass ratio was evenly split on 1st and 2nd down, then we tended to throw on 3rd down with fairly good success.

Data from Week 4

Next we will look at the various personnel packages the Aggies ran out against SMU.

Here's a brief description of the 5 formations we ran on Saturday.

Personnel Group Descriptions

Personnel Groups

On top of the fact that we very successful again from the 4 WR sets, there's some other interesting
data from this chart. We ran 17 plays with a tight end, which might not seem like a lot, but besides Caden Smith lining up as a blocker in the backfield we have only ran 1 play with a tight end in the past 3 weeks combined. Both Clear and Alexander saw the field for a few series each and our Pistol formation with the tight end in a 3-point stance (S11Pistol) was very successful.

Brandon Williams' 2nd quarter touchdown run was out of the S11 Pistol with Clear lined up on the left side of the line. Hopefully this formation is as successful against Arkansas as it was Saturday. The right side of the line (Cheek and Ifedi) kick out the defensive endand linebacker while Compton seals off the tackle and a huge lane is created. Williams strolls into the end zone untouched.

Earlier in the 3rd quarter it was another prime example of just how talented our wide receivers are at blocking for the other play makers.

We are lined up in S10 trips right. At the snap Malcolm takes the outside linebacker and Ricky attacks his DB. Ifedi does another great job of sealing the end and after a quick shake on the safety, Trey dives into the end zone.

This last formation was one we haven't seen since the first week against South Carolina. It's a subtle change to our traditional S10 2x2 formation, but it allows our running back to get a little bigger head of steam as he finds his hole.

This is Trey again and we are lined up in S10 Pistol with 2 wide receivers lined up wide on each side of the formation.

By the time Trey reaches the line of scrimmage he is already at full speed. Niederhofer and Ifedi make great blocks and Trey cuts inside of Ifedi's block. Cheek does an outstanding job of reaching the second level and
walling off the linebacker.

Targets

Malcolm and RSJ got their normal share of targets and Boone saw a season high 7 balls come his way. He turned those 7 targets into 6 catches including one highlight reel grab. Tabuyo did the most with his two catches, taking them both for touchdowns.

Season Total Targets

Red Zone Targets / Touches

LaQuvionte should have had a touch down but couldn't get his toe tap in bounds on 3rd down. Half the red zone carries on the day went for touchdowns. Hopefully that bodes well for next week.

Season Total Red Zone Targets /Touches

That's a wrap for week 4. I'm hoping the wide receivers got the drops out of their system over these last 3 games. After taking a quick glace at Arkansas' defense go up against Texas Tech, I am very confident we will continue to move the ball and score if we limit the mental mistakes. We might not score 50+ points, but our offense should be just as explosive as these past 4 weeks.

I also think this is the week Cam Clear finally breaks out. We got a lot of good reps with him lined up in a three-point stance but he never saw the ball. That trend has to change now that we are getting into the meat of the schedule against a lot of quality opponents.
CT-11
AG
You're welcome arky
Reginald Cousins
Emilio Fantastico
AG
I was looking at our success running the ball from the various personnel packages and was wondering, did we run that well from the S10 - Trips package or was that the one we happened to be in when Kenny got the long run on the busted play?
Lukeno
AG
Once again... this thread delivers
ahlongslide
Womackster
howdy2u
BayAg14
Codeno
AG
Emilio, you are correct that Hill's run was out of the S10 Trips formation. Taking that play out we still ran for 6.5 yards per carry in that formation so that is still a very good average.
fishinaggiegirl
AG

TEXAN5
agmrpink
AG
Great work! But I'm curious, how is avg 3rd and distance over 2 yds more than avg 2nd down distance?
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
Great work! But I'm curious, how is avg 3rd and distance over 2 yds more than avg 2nd down distance?
Penalties brah.
Helms96
AG
Juan and again, good stuff man
Firearms and LTC Instructor
12thGun.com
Jarhead
CO of P-2 Class of ‘96
redd38
AG
quote:

Generally the shorter 2nd down distances become 1st downs, not 3rd downs, which robs the 3rd down average of part of it's short-distance set. Therefore the 3rd down average is higher.
Codeno
AG
Redd is correct. We converted 12 first downs off second downs due to having so many 2 & short situations.
agmrpink
AG
Ooh. Gracias amigos. I'm a dummeh
brownbrick
AG
Blue start these posts, they should always be on the post of the day list.
brotherruss
SwigAg11
Jimtim1216
Sewell
AG
Great job!
tegrothe
AG
Mr. Codeno, what you have just said, is the most insanely brilliant thing I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling intelligent breakdown were you even close to anything that could be considered an irrational thought. Everyone in this room is now smarter for having listened to it. I award you a blue parachute, and may God have mercy on your soul
MarkPro
Well done, as usual. Stay thirsty my friend!
S.A.Aggie2006
AG
Great insight
12thstuntman
Excellent breakdown. You are the mother****ing man.
eeAg91
Thank you
Post removed:
by user
tegrothe
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.