Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Let's make the next Rev a rescue dog

21,314 Views | 161 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AggieProud82
pv
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Post removed:
by user
JonLobb
ROUGH COLLIE TODAY

ROUGH COLLIE TOMORROW

ROUGH COLLIE FOREVER

Get this mutt talk out of here.

First dog was a mutt, in 1931. Rev II was a shetland sheepdog.

Revs III - VIII were all Rough Collies. That's 6 Rough Collies to your 2 not Rough Collies.

First Reveille was an accident, just a cool thing that happened. It became a tradition when the school started deliberately seeking out and adopting Rough Collies.

Mutt is never, and should never, happen.

Adopt a Rough Collie that needs to be rescued if possible, but it should never be a requirement.

Stop with this sip hippy mutt talk. You wanna rescue a dog? Do it yourself.

marble rye
AG
ROUGH TOUGH REAL COLLIES, TEXAS A&M
The Debt
quote:
quote:
quote:
Lets just stick with a collie.

An inbred retarded dog? No.

Reveille was a lost/abandoned dog. It should stay that way.

Stay that way? It's been that way exactly once.

So New Army ruined it for some effeminate breed only dog show people have.
Velvet Jones
AG
She should definitely be a rescue, and she should definitely go back to her rightful home with the FTAB.
JR69
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I doubt you know New from Old
Potcake
AG
potcake mutt
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
There is zero chance of using a rescue dog in that role.
The Debt
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Witty retort. You should write for Letterman.
mmh
AG
What a brilliant discussion.

If you want to change a tradition, make a change that makes sense. Reveille is one of the least aggravating of all our traditions.

Watch the first quarter of any of our football games and you can come up with a few, I know I can.
JR69
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Witty retort. You should write for Letterman.
Just emulating yours...... Gig 'Em
JonLobb
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

it was new army that adopted a dog in the first place

damn new army c/o 1935, all down hill from there boys
JR69
AG
Here's my take on this - and a lot of other "Old Army" traditions. Texas A&M has changed immensely since I graduated - there are 5x as many students, there are women, there are women in the Corps (gasp), women's sports teams, there are women's sports teams winning National Championships, the Corps represents 5% of the student body, the Corps is not mandatory, there are fraternities, the campus is more spread out, there is no more G Rollie White Coliseum, no more Guion Hall, there is tailgating before football games, Senior Boots cost 12X what I paid for mine new from Holicks, and so much more.

I don't care for the way some of our traditions are carried out today but I won't go into those because it does not matter. The University is for the current students, not for us Former Students. Some traditions should remain inviolate I believe, but that depends very much on not only the Corps as "Keepers of Tradition", but also on buy-in by the remainder of the student body.

I personally don't like the idea of a panel made up of administrators picking the next Reveille - I'd prefer to see the student body select their own official mascot. A mutt? Maybe - Reveille was a mutt for the first 13 years - but Aggies can do better. The new Rev should be recognizable on television, on Corps trips, at football games, and any other time she is out in public.

Rev II was a Shetland Sheepdog - collie-like but not a collie. I was there when she passed in 1966, having served 14 years as our Official Mascot. Since 1966 Reveille has been a Rough Collie. So what is tradition and what does it dictate? 27 years a non-collie, 8 years (1944 to 1952) there was no Official Mascot, and 48 years a Collie. That's not my decision, nor do I believe it should be the decision of anyone other than the student body.

Most of our traditions don't date back to 1876, so how long does it take for something to be a tradition? When I was a student, freshmen and sophomores didn't work on the Bonfire stack, nor did MOST juniors and seniors. My bonfires looked more like a teepee than a wedding cake, and topped 100' tall each year. Senior boots didn't become part of the uniform until about 1914 or so. There was no Parson's Cavalry when I was there. And so on and so on.... new things become traditions and old traditions fade away.

The school belongs to those who are students now. I'm sure many from my era will disagree with me, and probably many who are younger than me as well. New Army, Old Army - which is which. Everybody younger than me is New Army, and everybody my age or older is Old Army... at least I've been reminded of that by my elders. My dad was enrolled as Class of 1946 and graduated as Class of '49. He shook his head at some things he called "New Army", but said the same thing to me - "It's your school now".

Gig 'Em!
Hewey Calloway
AG
This is coming from the same group of tools that wanted a mantis shrimp or a giant ring as our mascot.
JonLobb
quote:
Here's my take on this - and a lot of other "Old Army" traditions. Texas A&M has changed immensely since I graduated - there are 5x as many students, there are women, there are women in the Corps (gasp), women's sports teams, there are women's sports teams winning National Championships, the Corps represents 5% of the student body, the Corps is not mandatory, there are fraternities, the campus is more spread out, there is no more G Rollie White Coliseum, no more Guion Hall, there is tailgating before football games, Senior Boots cost 12X what I paid for mine new from Holicks, and so much more.

I don't care for the way some of our traditions are carried out today but I won't go into those because it does not matter. The University is for the current students, not for us Former Students. Some traditions should remain inviolate I believe, but that depends very much on not only the Corps as "Keepers of Tradition", but also on buy-in by the remainder of the student body.

I personally don't like the idea of a panel made up of administrators picking the next Reveille - I'd prefer to see the student body select their own official mascot. A mutt? Maybe - Reveille was a mutt for the first 13 years - but Aggies can do better. The new Rev should be recognizable on television, on Corps trips, at football games, and any other time she is out in public.

Rev II was a Shetland Sheepdog - collie-like but not a collie. I was there when she passed in 1966, having served 14 years as our Official Mascot. Since 1966 Reveille has been a Rough Collie. So what is tradition and what does it dictate? 27 years a non-collie, 8 years (1944 to 1952) there was no Official Mascot, and 48 years a Collie. That's not my decision, nor do I believe it should be the decision of anyone other than the student body.

Most of our traditions don't date back to 1876, so how long does it take for something to be a tradition? When I was a student, freshmen and sophomores didn't work on the Bonfire stack, nor did MOST juniors and seniors. My bonfires looked more like a teepee than a wedding cake, and topped 100' tall each year. Senior boots didn't become part of the uniform until about 1914 or so. There was no Parson's Cavalry when I was there. And so on and so on.... new things become traditions and old traditions fade away.

The school belongs to those who are students now. I'm sure many from my era will disagree with me, and probably many who are younger than me as well. New Army, Old Army - which is which. Everybody younger than me is New Army, and everybody my age or older is Old Army... at least I've been reminded of that by my elders. My dad was enrolled as Class of 1946 and graduated as Class of '49. He shook his head at some things he called "New Army", but said the same thing to me - "It's your school now".

Gig 'Em!
POTD
SuperAg93
It would be awesome to have a rescued dog as our mascot. It's not a hippy/sip/hipster notion, it's a cool and humane thing to do. And since we're very into marketing these days, it seems we could get a lot of publicity by our student body choosing to adopt a rescued dog as our official mascot.

And there is no reason to get one with a "rough past" that might bite a child, etc.. There are tons of dogs available from every background and I would assume we could find someone capable of doing a temprament check. Oh, and lets not forget we've already had one with an impeccable blood line that was crazy as sh*t.

I would love this idea to get some traction.
12thGauge
Or we put listeater in a collie costume and have it crawl around all game
NorthStar
AG
a well-mannered rescue dog would be an awesome choice. it honors the tradition of Rev I and does a good deed for some poor dog.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Tired of a wimpy collie
STX Ag
AG
You ****ing asshats kill me.

Last week it's "bring back the cannon", "another tradition dies", new army this new army that.

This week it's time for a new mascot and it's "**** it yeah let's get something totally different than a collie, time for change".

Some of you are true idiots.
Memphis 7
War Beagle.
Pelayo
AG
For the OP
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Old School Wrecking Crew
AG
Someone need to pull up this exact same thread when we were getting this current Reveille.
Brewmaster
AG
Pro Mutt

I have a 5 year old black lab mix who looks like a young Rev. 1. She'll be dressed up for a game (like Rev 1) later this fall, with no disrespect to Miss Rev, just some good tailgate fun and props to the first.

Pics to be provided!
Short Round
Pug or gtfo
schmellba99
AG
quote:
You ****ing asshats kill me.

Last week it's "bring back the cannon", "another tradition dies", new army this new army that.

This week it's time for a new mascot and it's "**** it yeah let's get something totally different than a collie, time for change".

Some of you are true idiots.

Something like that.

Because it is apparently NOT idiotic to keep a collie, which is a "tradition" started when a FS with a lot of money and stroke decided to make Rev III a collie.

And apparently it is NOT idiotic that Texas A&M gets its school mascot from......Oklahoma.

A great many ags have wanted to return to the rescue dog traditon for a while now. We advocated for it when I was kn school way back when. This is not a new "hipster" idea.

Unfortunately you will have to fight the marketing department to win this fight.
JR69
AG
FWIW, Reveille III came from Alaska and was donated by two twin brothers who were Class of '67 in my Corps outfit. No rich folks involved.
Gradaggie05
AG
Pro mutt. The "hipsters want a rescue" argument is hilarious.
thebubbaisin
AG
Pro rescue dog. Collie or not.
ColoAg95
AG
In bred collies are too fancy. Rescue dogs are weak and sickly. I want a street dog. Something with some battle scars and a torn ear.
Bitter Old Man
AG
I'm fine with a Collie, but a retired War Dog would be pretty cool. That being said, my 2 yr old daughter (ruled 1 protected you sicko) knows who Rev is and loves to watch football to see her.
Aftermath
AG
Direwolf or GTFO!!!
gigemrangers
AG
A mutt rev would be so badass. The sense of entitlement of the last few revs have really put me off on these rich kid collies. I mean just laying there expecting your keeper to sacrifice himself when you could have just as easily gotten out of the way on your own. A mutt rev would be humbled to be in that situation, and rightfully so. Commanding the greatest corps east of the Brazos and west of highway 6 between Heldenfels and the Morman Church off George Bush is one of the greatest honors a dog can be given. And a mutt will do whatever it takes not short of pit bulling your face to make sure everyone knows it.

+1 for mutt
goodag09
AG
Golden retriever or GTFO

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.