Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Breaking Down the Aggie Offense - Week 3 (Warning: Long)

7,478 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Shooz in Katy
Codeno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Welcome to the week 3 breakdown of the2014 Fightin' Texas Aggie offense. Before I go any further I would like to remind you of what this post is all about. From my first post:

quote:
I am an analytical person by nature and I enjoy football, so I thought why not combine two things I love and learn more about our Fightin' Texas Aggies and how they generate such
eye-popping numbers. This is an attempt to figure out the Aggie game plan and their objectives for the offense.

For those that are reading my breakdown for the first time, here are the threads from the first two weeks

Week 1: http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2518225/replies/40413863
Week 2: http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2523533/1

Let's take a look at the data. Rice made it known early that they were going to test our run defense and control the clock. They absolutely dominated the time of possession to the tune of 43:14 to our 16:46. You would think that with that large of a difference that this game would have been a lot closer, and it was for a quarter and a half. Although we ran the fewest plays of the season (56), we were still highly effective. For the 3rd straight week the Aggie offense was evenly balanced, running 26 times and passing 33 times. On average, our starting field position was our 23-yard line, the worst average position so far this season.

I think the key stat from the chart below was the average distance to go on 2nd and 3rd down. If the offense didn't get 10+ yards on first down, we didn't do a good job of getting into a manageable 2nd down distance, averaging almost 8 yards to get a first down. It actually got worse for 3rd downs, which is why we only converted 37.5% of our 3rd down opportunities. This average is skewed due to a 3rd & 27 on our opening drive after Kenny's intentional grounding as well as Ifedi's personal foul in the 3rd quarter that let to a 3rd & 22. With all that said, our average scoring drive was only 7 plays and 1:46 off the clock. 4 of our 6 scoring drives were 6 plays or less! When we were firing on all cylinders, it wasn't a fair fight and these stats prove that point.

Data from Week 3

Next we will look at the various personnel packages the Aggies ran out against Rice.

From Bob Sturm:
quote:
For any of this to make sense, you have to know what all of the different packages mean.
Basically, it is very simple. Every Offense in the world has 1 QB and 5 Offensive Linemen. Therefore, if 11 players are on the field, then that leaves 5 players who can join the QB in skill positions and the Offensive Coordinator has to choose how to deploy those 5. So, the groups are simple. "11" means 1 RB and 1 TE, so you add those 2 numbers together (1+1 = 2) and subtract
that number from 5 to get how many WRs are on the field at the time. (11 will mean 3 WRs, of course).

Here's a brief description of the 5 formations we ran on Saturday.

Personnel Group Descriptions

Personnel Groups

*Before I get started, the "Missing formation" stats above are from our first drive of the game that was cut off of the broadcast. Luckily those watching at home didn't miss much.*

For the second straight week the Aggie offense was very bland yet still effective. We averaged 7.7 yards per rushing attempt excluding the 17-yard sack in the first drive. I'd say that's pretty good. What was even
better was the passing game, averaging over 9 yards per attempt! Those stats seem odd considering the dropped passes, a few sacks, and a couple tackles for loss. Again, the coaches will have plenty of mistakes to focus on while watching the tape with the players.

Like I said earlier, when we did score, we scored in a hurry. We had 19 plays that went for over 10 yards. 6 of those 19 plays went for 20+ yards. It felt like once we started attacking the secondary the offense began to get in a rhythm and Rice could not keep up with our stable of outstanding wide receivers.

Speaking of big plays, here's a play from the 3rd quarter that sees Malcolm Kennedy catch a short pass and take it for 39 yards.

Josh Reynolds and Malcolm are lined up to the right with Brandon Williams in the backfield. The reason this play works so well stems from the effectiveness of the rushing attack up to this point. The two key defenders on this play are the linebacker and safety lined up on the right side.

As the play develops notice where both sets of eyes are: the backfield. You can see Kennedy appearing to engage the linebacker as if this is a run play.

At the last second Kennedy slips behind the linebacker while the safety gets lost in no man's land. Kenny dumps the ball off and Malcolm shakes the safety and he's off to the races.

The trips formation was used the most, followed by the 2x2 formations. The trips formation produced 10 big plays alone, picking up 7 first downs and 3 of our 5 touchdowns. One slightly new wrinkle to the trips
formation was having the three wide receivers bunched together outside the hash. This allowed us to spread the field horizontally, which creates more space and easier passing lanes for Kenny. It's a subtle change but it proved to be effective. I would break one of these plays down but after the snap the camera cut off the routes.

Enough about the passing game. Next I want to highlight some outstanding blocking by the offensive line and wide receivers on a play late in the 3rd quarter. After aquick strike to Ed Pope we lined up in trips left with Brandon Williams lined up next to Kenny.

As you can see, the play is designed for the left side of the line to seal the defensive tackle and end with Ogbuehi and Gramling. Kennedy is responsible for the linebacker while RSJ and Pope will block their defensive backs. After Ben snaps the ball he pulls and will race down field and take out the safety.

The blocking scheme works to perfection as Williams turns the corner right behind Compton.

Now all Brandon has to do is pick which way he wants to go. He cuts inside of Ben's block then cuts back outside to get to the corner for a 14-yard pick up and a nice first down.

Targets

For the first time this season, we stayed with the "starters" for the majority of the game. Speedy got his first touchdown of the season before he was injured and Ricky Seals-Jones scored a touchdown for the
third straight game. Both of Reynolds catches went for 20+ yard touchdowns and he is now tied with RSJ with 3 TD's for the year.

Season Total Targets

Red Zone Targets /Touches

I think this chart shows the craziest stat of the game. The Aggies only ran 4 plays inside the red zone! And on every one of those 4 plays we scored a touchdown!!! I don't have historical stats but I would have to say
it is extremely rare to score on every play inside the opponent's 20.

Our first score of the night was to Noil for 14 yards. We followed that up with a 13-yard strike to RSJ to start the 2nd quarter. In the second half Reynolds caught a 20-yard pass then we finished off our red zone scoring with a 1 yard run out of the 23 "Jumbo" package.

Season Total Red Zone Targets / Touches

The Aggie offense continues to spread the wealth and score with great efficiency. Every personnel group is effective and when our play makers get the ball in their hands great things happen. We also saw three more examples of Kenny using his feet to keep the offense moving. Everyone remembers his 39-yard scramble downthe left sideline to nearly score our last touchdown of the night but he also had a big run on 3rd down late in the second quarter to pick up a first down. He's no Manziel but our offense doesn't need that threat to still wreak havoc on the opposition.

The upcoming game against SMU looks like it will be another breeze so I expect a lot of the same things we saw this week. Hopefully the back ups will see more playing time before we head back into conference play
against the Razorbacks.

Once again, thanks for reading and I will see you all next week!
agsquirrel97
AG
POTD - thank Codeno for coming through again.
TexanJeff
AG
Didn't Brandon Williams have the first two catches of the season vs USC?
Codeno
AG
TexanJeff, one of those first two plays against USCe was considered a run because the pass was thrown behind the line of scrimmage. They considered it a run for stat purposes.
agdad50
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Here is my very simple takeaway from this game - we will go as far as the defense takes us.

We can and will score on anyone. If we can keep them from scoring, I don't think anyone can beat us.
FourAggies
AG
Thanks for the analysis!
Matsui
Razzrax
AG
Nice work
Little Rock Ag
AG
C'mon, OP, you know you can't discuss football at this level in the forum. It takes too much time away from reading threads about uniforms, slippery fields, and drunk LSU fans.

Great work.
ahlongslide
No Spin Ag
I can't believe I actually read and enjoyed that.

Thanks Codeno!
Lukeno
AG
Very nice!

The visual play breakdowns add a ton
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Nice work but couldn't the breakdown of this game's offense be summed up in two words?

Dropped passes.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
If we can keep them from scoring, I don't think anyone can beat us.

Interesting concept.
TexanJeff
AG
quote:
TexanJeff, one of those first two plays against USCe was considered a run because the pass was thrown behind the line of scrimmage. They considered it a run for stat purposes.

Thanks!
ham98
This level of analysis was provided for free?
MarkPro
Nice job again Codeno! Hard to believe the TOP differential, and the actual final score. I think that having the defense on the field for that long will only make them better, just by getting all the live reps. Looking forward to next weeks analysis.
Localhero88
Farmers6
AggieSVT
AG
Certainly look forward to this analysis each week. Highlights from TAMUHighlights and your X's and O's analysis get me ready for the next game. Thanks!!
CSTXAg92
AG
Love your posts Codeno. How about some .gifs rather than the screen shots for your play descriptions?
suburban cowboy
AG
Very nice
Helms96
AG
Very nice work again
Firearms and LTC Instructor
12thGun.com
Jarhead
CO of P-2 Class of ‘96
Helms96
AG
I will say this and maybe it is just my old eyes not being able to see everything in the picture, but it looks as if we only had 10 men on the field in that first play you referenced.

5 linemen
3 WR
1 RB
1 Kenny Trill
Firearms and LTC Instructor
12thGun.com
Jarhead
CO of P-2 Class of ‘96
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
Love your posts Codeno. How about some .gifs rather than the screen shots for your play descriptions?

Translation- love what you're doing, but can you work harder for nothing except to please me?
Codeno
AG
Success!!!

Eso Si, Que Es?
quote:
I will say this and maybe it is just my old eyes not being able to see everything in the picture, but it looks as if we only had 10 men on the field in that first play you referenced.

5 linemen
3 WR
1 RB
1 Kenny Trill
I respect my elders and all, but are you serious? Do you even football bro? The receiver @ the bottom is off the line of scrimmage so there must be a 4th receiver below him on the line of scrimmage to cover the right tackle.

Edit - I forgot you were in Micronesia and have to watch futbol now, but my statement still stands.
tegrothe
Longstreet
Love these breakdowns Codeno. Thanks for the work.
InnerCityAg
LOL, TLDR.

I'm sure its racist too.
InnerCityAg
RTB Ag
fishinaggiegirl
AG
Great job!
MarkPro
Figured out the GIF's, Nice.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.