Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Put it back!

146,970 Views | 957 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by S.A. Aggie
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Suggestion: anyone and everyone write actual letters (not emails) to Chancellor Sharp and Int President Hussey. KEEP THEM RESPECTFUL, but let them know how much we want the cannon back! Here are some visuals that might help.

Western Illinois

West Point

Old Dominion

Mizzou

Colorado State

BYU

Outlaw0206
AG
Cav guys said when they put less powder in the cannon it malfunctions
Longstreet
quote:
Personally, I don't think the unwashed masses (that would be us) need to be concerned with the technical solution. It can be done. Numerous other schools prove that.

We just need to demand that it BE DONE.
Thisx1000. Every one of you numb nuts that keeps asking for a solution from the posters in this thread needs to print this out and tape it on your monitor.

It's not our job to come up with a solution. It's the administration's job, and it's one that they failed at miserably, along with communicating openly and honestly about the issues involved. They've spent a **** load of money on this new facility, and along the way promises were made that traditions would be respected. We are well within our rights to hold them to their word, to tell them to dig deep, find the money if that's the issue, do what ever re-engineering is needed, but do what you said you'd do and FIX THIS.

Pressuring them from below is all the vast majority of us can do, and there's not a damn thing wrong with holding their feet to the fire, whether it be here on TexAgs, on Facebook, selling t-shirts or what have you. The PTB need to know we're pissed off by this and that we're not going to shut up about it.

And to whoever might be posting "No AgTag", no, I'm not a Former Student. I have a son who's currently a senior in the Corps, and another who will be starting next fall, the first of several of clan Longstreet that will put in their time at Texas A&M. My senior is so pissed about this he wouldn't talk about it when I mentioned it to him Saturday.

They're there because their dad has spent years telling them about this incredible place called Texas A&M. I've told the story about how I came to love A&M before and won't tell it again here, but it was enough that when people ask my senior why he chose A&M and the Corps, he points to me and says "It's his fault. Every time college was mentioned this is the only place he talked about. I've heard about it all my life." I told them about a school where you could get more than just an excellent education. About a place that wasn't afraid to move into the future and not embarrassed to drag their traditions along as they went. I told them of a place where duty, honor and integrity meant something, that old hokey saw about Aggies that don't lie, cheat, steal or tolerate those who do. I told them about Bonfire, about Col. Rudder, and pennies at Sul Ross' feet. About a place where a freakin' dog is treated like royalty. About Senior Boots, March In, Silver Taps, Muster and the MSC.

I told them about Texas A&M. And I'll be damned if I'll shut up about it now.

Put

It

Back.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
Cav guys said when they put less powder in the cannon it malfunctions

There are other ways to maintain the pressure and use a smaller charge weight.
Longstreet
quote:
Your traditions are what keeps the program going during lean years. It is something you identify with.
Yep. Anybody here remember the Fran years? My kids do. And even then, if you asked them where they wanted to go to school they'd say Texas A&M. Why? Well it damn sure wasn't because of football.
coupland boy
AG
Correct! We sucked at football during that time but we still showed.
SpectreAg89
AG
Longstreet sounds like 100% Aggie to me. probably deserves an Aggie Spirit Tag, if people are giving him s#!t about no Ag Tag.
CampingAg
AG

A freaking hockey team has a cannon, but the Texas Aggies don't.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
quote:

A freaking hockey team has a cannon, but the Texas Aggies don't.
To be honest, I'd rather not have a cannon if we were forced to have something that weak and lame.
JonLobb
quote:
quote:
Personally, I don't think the unwashed masses (that would be us) need to be concerned with the technical solution. It can be done. Numerous other schools prove that.

Thisx1000. Every one of you numb nuts that keeps asking for a solution from the posters in this thread needs to print this out and tape it on your monitor.

It's not our job to come up with a solution. It's the administration's job, and it's one that they failed at miserably, along with communicating openly and honestly about the issues involved. They've spent a **** load of money on this new facility, and along the way promises were made that traditions would be respected. We are well within our rights to hold them to their word, to tell them to dig deep, find the money if that's the issue, do what ever re-engineering is needed, but do what you said you'd do and FIX THIS.

Pressuring them from below is all the vast majority of us can do, and there's not a damn thing wrong with holding their feet to the fire, whether it be here on TexAgs, on Facebook, selling t-shirts or what have you. The PTB need to know we're pissed off by this and that we're not going to shut up about it.

And to whoever might be posting "No AgTag", no, I'm not a Former Student. I have a son who's currently a senior in the Corps, and another who will be starting next fall, the first of several of clan Longstreet that will put in their time at Texas A&M. My senior is so pissed about this he wouldn't talk about it when I mentioned it to him Saturday.

They're there because their dad has spent years telling them about this incredible place called Texas A&M. I've told the story about how I came to love A&M before and won't tell it again here, but it was enough that when people ask my senior why he chose A&M and the Corps, he points to me and says "It's his fault. Every time college was mentioned this is the only place he talked about. I've heard about it all my life." I told them about a school where you could get more than just an excellent education. About a place that wasn't afraid to move into the future and not embarrassed to drag their traditions along as they went. I told them of a place where duty, honor and integrity meant something, that old hokey saw about Aggies that don't lie, cheat, steal or tolerate those who do. I told them about Bonfire, about Col. Rudder, and pennies at Sul Ross' feet. About a place where a freakin' dog is treated like royalty. About Senior Boots, March In, Silver Taps, Muster and the MSC.

Put

It

Back.
GET THIS MAN A F'IN SPIRIT TAG NOW!
CampingAg
AG
I know it's nothing compared to the Spirit of '02, but it's the principle.
WH99P!
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Just to clarify for everyone...PMC was told to stand down from this issue more than a week ago. Last week they were told they risked being kicked out of the Cav if they were affiliated with PUT IT BACK. Because of this, no PMC member or sponsor has anything to do with the campaign. While I'm sure they all believe in the cause, PUT IT BACK is not run by PMC.

maybe PMC needs to stand up for the cause and not just stand by while others fight?
They could lose scholarships or get kicked out of the corps.

We can fight this for them.
This is just further proof to me that they are trying to get rid of it completely. And I can totally see Ramirez threatening to kick out these guys for sticking up for this, the guy is an asshat.

Its not coming from him.

You may have your own views on the man, but he's in a tight spot over this issue as well.

Fitch is right. This is coming from someone above GRam, and I wish I knew who!

2006EE is also right. These Cav jocks could lose scholarships on top of the organization they love so much. They are following orders while biting their tongues because it's killing them to sit by while this happens.
WH99P!
AG

If the KFRC can't come up with their own solution, I don't think it hurts for us to brainstorm for one. If they'd come out of hiding & talk with us, I'm sure one of their first questions would be: What's the solution? They seem to think (pretend) there isn't one, although there have been a few valid ideas worth consideration posted here & on Facebook. I say keep em coming until we can PUT IT BACK!
BiochemAg97
AG
I was at step off this weekend and stood a few feet from the cannon. Backside, because they cleared out everything in front. But people were in an arc about 10 ft back.

I can can see where firing towards the field, and raining packing on the crowd/field would be bad. So point it away from the stadium. Yes, there is a wall at the back of the towers, but you know what, people have been putting holes in walls for centuries. Mid evil castles had opening for archers to fire through. Forts constructed in more modern times had holes for cannons to fire from. Not that hard. The hole doesn't even have to be that big. So, you need basically a 10 ft arc around the cannon roped off as a sacrifice of the area for schmoozing VIPs, with the business end pointing out the hole (or notch) in the wall. Blast wave goes out extended high above anyone below. Packing may rain down on a parking lot or plaza. 105 points upward, so smaller notch, etc. cannon is plenty loud being behind it. Load could be matched for appropriate accoustics.

would a chain link type fence covering the hole catch the packing and prevent in from raining down. You would need to place the cannon further back, and have either a wider hole or more deflection of the blast back towards the cannon from the wall.
Brazos Ag 1970
AG
This thread is ****ing awesome.
WH99P!
AG
If I'm understanding you correctly, there would be no need for a hole in the wall. If the cannon was placed atop the SE tower & pointed upward, the blast would not be fired at any wall. The question, I guess, is whether to fire it toward the field or toward Spence park. Probably less safety concern firing it away from the field/stands. Chain link would not hold the packing, but I'm sure something could be rigged to catch the debris.
VanZandt92
I haven't written my letter. Sorry.
coupland boy
AG
quote:
This thread is ****ing awesome.

I know ain't it!?
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Put it back!!
Maroon Flash
AG
One aw chit wipes out a lot of atta boys, and getting rid of Spirit '02 is a great big aw chit.
GarryowenAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Just to clarify for everyone...PMC was told to stand down from this issue more than a week ago. Last week they were told they risked being kicked out of the Cav if they were affiliated with PUT IT BACK. Because of this, no PMC member or sponsor has anything to do with the campaign. While I'm sure they all believe in the cause, PUT IT BACK is not run by PMC.

maybe PMC needs to stand up for the cause and not just stand by while others fight?
They could lose scholarships or get kicked out of the corps.

We can fight this for them.
This is just further proof to me that they are trying to get rid of it completely. And I can totally see Ramirez threatening to kick out these guys for sticking up for this, the guy is an asshat.

Its not coming from him.

You may have your own views on the man, but he's in a tight spot over this issue as well.

Fitch is right. This is coming from someone above GRam, and I wish I knew who!

2006EE is also right. These Cav jocks could lose scholarships on top of the organization they love so much. They are following orders while biting their tongues because it's killing them to sit by while this happens.

Its definitely not the first time the higher ups have strong-armed cadets. Is GEN Weber still VP of Student Affairs? He's the only one in our administration who I trust at this point.
Fitch
AG
No, he's (I kid you not) running TxDOT now.
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:

Gov Perry takes care of his friends. Sometimes multiple times.
fireinthehole
Put it back or we will fire it up your ass if we can ever find out what whimp made the call to eliminate it.
GarryowenAg
AG
quote:

Woooooowwww... He always seemed like a fair guy. Hope everything goes well for him!

by the way... PUT IT BACK!!
Three Seasons
AG
As per Reeb88...

"The Spirit of '02 with a 1/2 lb. charge emits 130 db."

There seems to be a few other cannons out there at games ~ would be nice to know what the dB levels are of the comparable cannons and the safety measures put in place (or restrictions) by other universities. I thought the dB levels were in the 160-170 dB range...and somewhat understandably too loud to be on the field, BUT 130 dB can be suppressed in a lot of ways and, if true, then something else is going on.

Even with Kyle being enclosed, 130 dB, and the initial sound wave is not a health and safety concern ~ and if the standards say that they are within 60ft, then build a bullet-proof Plexiglas sound shield (like some drum sets have) and reflect the sound back (momentarily) for the safety of those within the "too" loud zone. They will still hear the cannon and will be able to see it too!
MacDawg75
AG
It seems like some Ags don't remember or don't understand what it was like in a cut area or at the stack. That's truly sad.

The cannon is one of our last visible links to Bonfire. It's place in Kyle during a game that is an important reminder of our heritage and one of the many traditions that make us who we are.

It's disappointing that the administration has chosen to ignore this issue. Unfortunately this is what happens when to you have a bloated bureaucracy in Student Services much less the rest of the administration. So many players no one is accountable.
Fitch
AG
quote:
As per Reeb88...

"The Spirit of '02 with a 1/2 lb. charge emits 130 db."

There seems to be a few other cannons out there at games ~ would be nice to know what the dB levels are of the comparable cannons and the safety measures put in place (or restrictions) by other universities. I thought the dB levels were in the 160-170 dB range...and somewhat understandably too loud to be on the field, BUT 130 dB can be suppressed in a lot of ways and, if true, then something else is going on.

Even with Kyle being enclosed, 130 dB, and the initial sound wave is not a health and safety concern ~ and if the standards say that they are within 60ft, then build a bullet-proof Plexiglas sound shield (like some drum sets have) and reflect the sound back (momentarily) for the safety of those within the "too" loud zone. They will still hear the cannon and will be able to see it too!

Inside the stadium is of course the most optimal solution for PMC and for the crowd, but if a buffer is such a determining factor the lawns on the east side are sufficiently large to provide a VERY large cushion while maintaining visibility of the cannon on game day and be audible inside the stadium. The north lawn even has heavy load pavement on one edge (with curb access).

Pour a concrete pad and plant the Howitzer there. Its many multiples larger than the area the '02 previously fired in and has no engineering issues to work out.

That said, PUT IT BACK.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
How do they measure the 130db? Sound intensity is determinant upon distance from source. What is their measurement protocol?
commando2004
AG
quote:
It seems like some Ags don't remember or don't understand what it was like in a cut area or at the stack. That's truly sad.

Hundreds of current students went to First Cut this past Sunday.
ArmyAg97
AG
quote:
quote:

Put

It

Back.
S.A. Aggie
AG
quote:
Basically the cannon will be taken away from game day activities because of bureaucratic pressure from a small number of people calling the shots.
quote:

isn't this the way our liberal government works now?
tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:
quote:

Put

It

Back.

I don't care that this has been quoted multiple times before. I want the honor of quoting it myself. Damn near brought a tear to my eye and made me want to stand and applaud. Well said, sir!
coupland boy
AG
Longstreet. Spirit tag. Give it to him.
reddestass16
AG
quote:
quote:

Hundreds of current students went to First Cut this past Sunday.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.