Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Breaking Down the Aggie Offense (Warning: Long)

16,029 Views | 98 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Bewareofgigem
Codeno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DISCLAIMER: This is not for everyone. It may not be for you. This is a statistical study of the Aggies offense with lots of numbers that may make your head tired if you are not up to it. Read it only if it is something that is of interest to you. If not, pick another thread.

Welcome to my season long journey of breaking down the 2014 Texas A&M offense.

I am an analytical person by nature and I enjoy football, so I thought why not combine two things I love and learn more about our Fightin Texas Aggies and how they generate such eye-popping numbers. This is an attempt to figure out the Aggie game plan and their objectives for the offense.

I want to make this clear that this is a hobby for me and I do not pretend to know everything. My goal is to provide the data and insert my thoughts, but I also would love input if you see something I missed. Bob Sturm of the The Ticket in Dallas inspired me (see his blog here: [url] http://sturminator.blogspot.com/[/url]. He has been tracking and analyzing the Dallas Cowboys for years (note: I am not a Cowboys fan but I appreciate his work).

Bob described why he does what he does better than I can:
quote:
This entire post will likely give you tired head. Heck, it pretty much did that to me as I put it together, but this year I want to take football dorkdom to an all new level. I am now obsessed with defining what a certain offense is all about and to do that, you must track personnel packages.

Why did certain strategies work? Why did other objectives just not make sense? Every game, I try to figure that out with data and video. So, hopefully those of you who enjoy football from a "chess game" perspective will really get into this.

So with that said, here we go. The chart below takes a simple look at the offensive data. The Aggies average starting field position was their own 26 yard line, and only one time did a drive start in Gamecock territory. We were right at a 60/40 pass:run ratio and we were fantastic on 1st and 3rd down. The Aggies gained 10+ yards on 14 first downs and converted 70% of third downs. You can see in the chart that the pass:run ratio was evenly balanced on 3rd and 4th down, leaving the defense guessing the entire game.

Data from Week 1

Next we will look at the various personnel packages the Aggies ran out against South Carolina. Again, I am going to defer to Mr. Strum to describe the personnel charts:

quote:
Below, please find the offense broken down by personnel groups.

For any of this to make sense, you have to know what all of the different packages mean. Basically, it is very simple. Every Offense in the world has 1 QB and 5 Offensive Linemen. Therefore, if 11 players are on the field, then that leaves 5 players who can join the QB in skill positions and the Offensive Coordinator has to choose how to deploy those 5. So, the groups are simple. "11" means 1 RB and 1 TE, so you add those 2 numbers together (1+1 = 2) and subtract that number from 5 to get how many WRs are on the field at the time. (11 will mean 3 WRs, of course).

I also included a brief description of our formations since this is new to everyone.

Personnel Groups Descriptions

Personnel Groups

There are a lot of takeaways from the chart above. We began the game with Cam Clear and 3 WRs for the entire 1st drive and we marched right down the field, just like we were accustomed to seeing the past 2 years. Cam only saw the field for 2 plays in our second drive before he was out for the remainder of the game with an ankle injury. Fortunately the Aggies were able to substitute Ricky Seals-Jones into Cams spot when they ran out the Pistol formation with an H-Back. The production was still solid and we averaged almost 7 yards per carry when RSJ lined up as the H-Back. Look for this formation to grow in terms of wrinkles throughout the season. Although it doesnt appear that this formation was effective in the passing game, if you replay the game you will see 3 of our drops occurred out of this formation.

The next thing that stood out was that 2 formations dominated the majority of the play calling. 76 out of our 99 plays featured 1 RB and 4 WR, either set up in trips or with 2 WR on each side of the formation. I would tend think this number is skewed slightly due to Cam Clears injury, as he would have obviously played more had he stayed healthy. Lets hope he gets back soon. Nonetheless, these two formations were effective at dismantling the Gamecocks. The Aggies averaged slightly over 9 yards per pass attempt, which is ridiculous at any level. Its no wonder the Ol Ball Coach looked like he needed a stiff drink after the game.

The Aggies also ran a familiar trick play after a first down in the second quarter. They tried to catch South Carolina unprepared as we lined up with our tackles out wide with 2 receivers. Hill fired the ball to Noil but Noil slipped for no gain. If nothing else this will cause the opposing defenses to spend time scouting the formation during practice.

I dont think Im breaking any news saying the Aggie offense was utterly dominant. As an example, to end the game we lined up in Trips and ran the same draw play 6 of the last 7 plays to run the clock out. Hopefully Ill have .gifs and/or screen shots later this week to show more of how the game plan was executed.

Targets

The chart shows who Kenny targeted and how many passes each receiver and running back caught. This chart will provide more information as the season progresses and the numbers begin to accumulate. Of note, Malcolm Kennedy saw half of his 17 targets in the second quarter alone, where the Aggies began to put their foot down and run away with the game.

Red Zone Targets/Touches

This chart will attempt to show us who Sumlin and Spavital trust with the all-important touches inside the opponents 20 yard line. The ball was spread around extremely evenly with no receiver seeing more than 3 balls. Tra Carson and Trey Williams saw the majority of the goal line carries and combined for 4 touchdowns on the night.

So there you have it. The Aggie offense operated at maximum efficiency and answered any doubts that they would take a step back without Manziel. Going forward Ill add season totals to the above charts. If I can figure out how to make .gifs from YouTube I would like to incorporate some film as well. If anyone would like to volunteer to teach me, Ill see what I can do.

I hope you enjoyed this my look into the Aggie offense. It should be fun seeing the offense progress and incorporate new wrinkles into the offense.
ahlongslide
Ragnar Danneskjold
Jesus
cevans_40
AG
That was long. However some good info was also present
SpicewoodAg
AG
Keep it up.

Add defensive stats!
Ph.D.Aggies
ag92tx
Looks like Kenny trusts an experienced senior receiver the most. You really need a chart to learn that?
Pengwin Ag
AG
Really appreciate the in depth look!

Somehow I doubt that this is a little over the word limit that regular zoo readers have in their minds but it was well worth the time.

Keep up the good work!
eeAg91
Good bull.
Foxo
AG
Foxo like.
SwigAg11
AG
Blue parachute sir!
BTKAG97
MicheIangeIo
AG
The Ticket> > > every other sports station> TexAgs radio

[This message has been edited by twang28 (edited 8/31/2014 9:16p).]
Captain Awesome
LOVE it.
But you just did the job for all our future opponents and posted it publicly. I hope they don't troll here.
MicheIangeIo
AG
quote:
But you just did the job for all our future opponents and posted it publicly. I hope they don't troll here

Yea I bet Saban doesn't have his own people to do this
STX Ag
AG
Nerds.
d78230
AG
Here's what I know...we won the game. We never trailed and our defense looked better.

Nut said.

BTHO Lamar.
that poster
Are you bedridden?
Raggy09
AG
well done.
OKC~Ag
good job.
Warrior Poet
AG
Dude

You rock
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Awesome job. I had no idea Sturm did that for the Cowboys (I don't like the Cowboys either but I love his work for the Stars). If you really wanted to get fancy you could incorporate how many times receivers lined up in the slot vs. out wide. I'd be interested to see how many times a large guy like RSJ ends up in the slot and how effective it is. And of course you could always take a shot at doing something similar with the defense.

Great work and I'm looking forward to reading these throughout the season
2008and1
AG
Nice work!
Ag61
AG
Thanks, I loved the review. You can believe that any coach worth his salt will have someone do something like this in evaluating us for games to come. It is just refreshing to see this depth at this point as I'm not sure how much it tells us at this stage in a game that was basically under control.
Daysleeper
AG
Would read again....after next weeks game.
Independent George
AG
Codeno
Gin Rummy
Good work!
DallasAg 94
quote:
Fortunately the Aggies were able to substitute Ricky Seals-Jones into Cam’s spot when they ran out the Pistol formation with an H-Back.

Was RSJ at TE only after Half? I wonder if that was something they tried to accommodate or whether RSJ has taken snaps at HB.
suburban cowboy
AG
Update this after every game and very well done
Codeno
AG
PWest, I picked up on his decoding series a few years ago after reading some of his other posts on the blog.

I would love to incorporate defensive stats as well (or like Bob, have a different page altogether) but it took me a while to gather all this information and recreate it in these charts. I don't think I could handle an entire game's worth of stats.

Originally I wanted to chart how many plays each guy saw, but camera angles cut a lot of the play out so the numbers would be inaccurate. If I could get ahold of some all-22 film that would be outstanding but I don't know where to look.

Again, I plan to incorporate more pictures/gifs, I just need more time to learn how to get everything Texags friendly. Pictures will help bring the stats as well as outstanding performances to life. For instance, Trey Williams had at least 3 huge blocks on LBs that allowed Kenny enough time to find an open WR. Little things like that which don't show up in the stats but might explain why he sees more playing time than Brandon (who incidentally whiffed on a block for one of 3 negative plays).
Codeno
AG
DallasAg, when Cam went down they simply replaced him with a 4th WR and when they lined up in pistol RSJ lined up as Cam would have. Since RSJ is a WR I just kept him as that for charting. You could tell they practiced with RSJ as the H-back as he stepped right in and ran the exact same plays as when Cam was in.
NickEZ08
Michael Cera Palin
AG
quote:

PWest, I picked up on his decoding series a few years ago after reading some of his other posts on the blog.

I would love to incorporate defensive stats as well (or like Bob, have a different page altogether) but it took me a while to gather all this information and recreate it in these charts. I don't think I could handle an entire game's worth of stats.

Originally I wanted to chart how many plays each guy saw, but camera angles cut a lot of the play out so the numbers would be inaccurate. If I could get ahold of some all-22 film that would be outstanding but I don't know where to look.

Again, I plan to incorporate more pictures/gifs, I just need more time to learn how to get everything Texags friendly. Pictures will help bring the stats as well as outstanding performances to life. For instance, Trey Williams had at least 3 huge blocks on LBs that allowed Kenny enough time to find an open WR. Little things like that which don't show up in the stats but might explain why he sees more playing time than Brandon (who incidentally whiffed on a block for one of 3 negative plays).

I can't imagine how much time this took so I understand not doing the defense without some help. And for your last statement I did notice one play where B-Will completely missed on a blitzing linebacker which led to a sack. It's really hard to find a way to describe that in stats but it is a vital part of the game.
tex 93
AG
Nice work OP. Looking forward to more.
Reginald Cousins
S
The pump-fake to Kennedy could be handy in a pinch if the trend continues.

Just throwing that out there, I know Summy be scouring the zoo for advice and all...
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.