Story Poster

Loftin to accept chancellor position at Missouri

December 4, 2013

Note: Story last updated on 5 Dec. at 12:17 pm.

TexAgs has learned from a source close to the situation that outgoing Texas A&M president R. Bowen Loftin will be named the chancellor at the University of Missouri. University of Missouri System President Tim Wolfe will make the announcement of the hire of Missouri's 22nd Chancellor on the University of Missouri campus tomorrow (Dec. 5) at 11 am.

In July, Loftin announced his retirement and his intent to continue as a professor at A&M. In the process of his retirement, Loftin and the University negotiated an $825,000 buyout.

Loftin was named interim president at Texas A&M on June 15th, 2009 and formally became the 24th president of the University on February 12th, 2010.

Below is the text of the personal farewell letter, from Loftin to the Aggie family, sent out by email and posted on the president's webpage on Thursday.

When I announced, in July of this year, my resignation from the presidency of Texas A&M University, I noted that my love for students is and has been my primary motivation. At that time a return to the faculty and to teaching and research seemed the logical path for me. Since that announcement I have devoted a great deal of thought to how best to continue doing what I love—serving students. Recently, a unique and exciting opportunity came my way, an opportunity to continue affecting the lives and futures of thousands of students, not just a few dozen enrolled in the classes I would teach or working in the laboratories where I would do research. While it is very difficult to imagine ourselves anywhere else but Aggieland, Karin and I have found a new home with many of the attributes of Texas A&M. Today the University of Missouri System is announcing that I will become the 22nd Chancellor of its flagship campus in Columbia, Missouri. As a Fightin’ Texas Aggie, a piece of me will always be here, and my love for this university’s students will not lessen. We look forward to maintaining the friendships we have forged here while we develop new ones in the State of Missouri. I will be leading the oldest public university west of the Mississippi, a land-grant institution that shares much with Texas A&M—a rich history, membership in the Association of American Universities and the Southeastern Conference, an outstanding faculty and staff, and a passionate student body and alumni. We wish only the best for Texas A&M and for its students, former students, faculty and staff.

R. Bowen Loftin ‘71
President

Discussion from...

BREAKING: Loftin to accept chancellor position at Missouri

16,994 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by willymacaroni
WatchOle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
BREAKING: Loftin to accept chancellor position at Missouri
agcrock2005
AG
WTF? Didn't see that one coming.
NorthStar
AG
What the heck? Talk about coming out of left field. This a sign that he was forced out as pres. from a higher up?
Jack Thauer
AG
I've heard rumors since announcing retirement that he was pushed out. In my mind, this is confirmation.
KilleenAg
aggieclassof17
Perry not running for governor again in the same year that Loftin "steps down"? I knew something had to be up.
GEA2007
AG
What's next? A return to the BDF?
whatthecrunchyo
AG
Yup gotta make room for Perry.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
I sure hope Perry doesn't become the next president of A&M. Although it's hard to not begin believing that is what's happening.
diehard14
AG
Those kids in como will love him.
dabo man
AG
quote:
How the hell can we vote all of them out?!

Elect a new governor with more respect for higher education than Goodhair.
Picadillo
Sharp and Perry. Get ready.
gig_em02
good riddance bowtie!
Kamikaze Kyle
and he got that sweetheart deal on the way out too
TexxAg00
AG
Probably more Sharp than Perry.
headshrinker
AG
Good move, based on most of the classless comments above.
bryanhome
he made them give him a sweet deal. He knows what all went down behind the scene.
Fsanmig
Pushed out and given a soft landing. Making room for RP. Oh boy, here we go
Tradishun
quote:
quote:
How the hell can we vote all of them out?!

Elect a new governor with more respect for higher education than Goodhair.

Bingo. But I bet the vast majority of people who hate what the BoR has done to A&M voted for Perry anyway.

This is chickens coming home to roost. I am proud to say I've never voted for Perry.

Be careful who we elect.
RGLAG85
AG
quote:
Good move, based on most of the classless comments above.

Maybe you need to re-read, I only saw one idiot.
headshrinker
AG
Agree that only one was critical of Bowen, but many written in an immature vernacular of junior high kids.
Frok
AG
Missouri? Ugh, that sucks.
Aston 91
AG
I'd say this is pretty clear confirmation he was forced out. He clearly loved being BMOC here, so I don't think he'd take a position at Mizzou on his own volition. I sincerely hope this isn't the first domino in a scenario where Perry ends up as A&M president.
Human
AG
What's next...?

Saban to tu?
Amazing Moves
How could you say good ridence to that guy. He only made the best thing ever to happen to A&M..happen!! Plus he was forced out. Stupid
Woodlands aTm
fireinthehole
Locking up Sumlin shows me we are still ok.
wrinkledink
AG
^ what?
aggiebones
AG
Frankly while loftin was fun and the faceman for the SEC move, he always seemed a bit unprofessional. And it doesn't bother me.
What does bother me is how it got done and what dastardly plans they have in store. Seriously some shady dudes spinning wheels. And noone cam stop them.
a1pilote
Hello? Did you note that this is a Chancellor's position, senior to a President's position? Not a lateral move, but a step up!
CoolAggie
AG
Wrong, titles mean something else up at Mizzou.

Chancellor Missouri=TAMU President
President Missouri=TAMU Chancellor
grl38
AG
we were lucky to have Mr. Bow Tie! at first i questioned the choice but Loftin proved to be are real asset! hate to see him leave!
One Tooth Man
Sharp and Perry remind me of the forgotten fable with a turtle and a scorpion. Won't end well for either of them.
Cardboardboxer
If this means we can an actual academic president that will help us move up in the USNWR rankings, then great.

If it is clearing the way for Rick Perry to be president, I feel bad for those whose career actually depends on the academic reputation of A&M.
fieldtrailer
AG
He doesn't get A&M?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.