Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Instructions for bypassing the ESPN3 blackout for the SHSU game

66,643 Views | 186 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by AgsMyDude
NewArmyReigns
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let's try to keep this bumped for everyone who will be asking over the next couple of days.

Ok...this SHOULD work. I did it last year successfully, so unless ESPN has found some way to recognize and deny access from proxy servers (which I doubt), then this ought to still work. Some of these steps look kind of long, but it's really pretty simple if you just follow them. Other than step 1, this shouldn't take you more than about 5 minutes.

Step 1. This is REQUIRED. MAKE SURE YOUR INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER HAS ESPN3, AND MAKE SURE YOU KNOW YOUR LOGIN AND PASSWORD. There are hundreds of providers that have ESPN3, so chances are you have it. Note: I am NOT talking about WatchESPN...I am only talking about ESPN3, which most people have. If it just says "Powered by [your ISP]" at the top of ESPN3.com, and you don't know your username and password to login remotely, contact your ISP today or tomorrow and get it figured out before game time. If you can't get your login and password for some reason, then find a friend who has it and get their login info, or maybe a kind soul on TexAgs who will PM theirs to you.

Edit: here is a list of all cable/internet affiliates that provide ESPN3: http://espn.go.com/espn3/affList

Step 2. Download the free version of a program called Hotspot Shield at www.hotspotshield.com.

Step 3. Open the program after you have downloaded it, and it will start working automatically. MAKE SURE TO LEAVE IT OPEN AND RUNNING.

Step 4. When the program opens, a window will pop up. It will show your location as "USA," and underneath will be a link that says "Test protection." Clicking this link takes you to whatismyipaddress.com, and it will show you where the proxy server you are running is located (it will most often be California). Make sure yours is not in Texas. As you can see from the pictures below, when I have the program running, websites that ping my location show me as being at various obscure towns in California:

Step 5. Once you have confirmed all of the above, go to ESPN3.com. Find the "Remote Access" tab at the top and click it. It will say something like "unable to confirm ESPN3 access," and it will ask you to sign in with your service provider. Put in your username and password, and you will now be good to go.

So to sum up, what this does is send you through a proxy server so it makes you look like you aren't in Texas, but it still gives you access to ESPN3, and therefore games that are blacked out in Texas since you now have an IP from (probably) California.

Note: in the unlikely event that Hotspot Shield gives you an IP in Texas, just exit the program and open it back up until you get one out of state.

Also note: wherever your fake IP is, you still won't be able to watch games blacked out in THAT region (California in my case).

If you follow the steps exactly, you should have no problems, but if you have any questions, post them here and I'll try to answer them.

[This message has been edited by NewArmyReigns (edited 9/5/2013 10:35a).]

[This message has been edited by NewArmyReigns (edited 9/5/2013 11:26a).]
hunter2012
AG
Going to the game, but all the same here's a parachute.
Christopherna11
Kate Beckett
AG
Going to the game as well, but great info for all who cannot make it.
yumyums09
AG
Awesome, would've never figured this out on my own. Thanks!

"Chance favors a prepared mind."
Post removed:
by user
AgGeo01
Gabriel Belmont
60Cal
AG
Or you could go to firstrowsports.eu/

[This message has been edited by Come and Take it! (edited 9/5/2013 10:37a).]
dimeboxaggie
AG
he uses apple computer. cannot be trusted.

commodore 64 or GO FAQ YOURSELF!!!!!
Post removed:
by user
T-Bone Pickens
AG
His handle includes New Army and he is telling us all how to violate the Old Army lie, cheat and steal policy. So its likely legit.
NewArmyReigns
quote:
do we trust OP

I am not sure I want to try this first

Then don't try it. Have fun paying 40 bucks for pay-per-view or checking stats on your phone.
NewArmyReigns
quote:
Or you could go to firstrowsports.eu/

[This message has been edited by Come and Take it! (edited 9/5/2013 10:37a).]

Except that website is unbelievably shiitty and a huge pain in the ass.
Barnett91
Op are u a kind soul willing to pm ur login......
Frosty46
AG
I thought espn3 was watch espn now?

When I type espn3.com it takes me to watch espn
pigskinaggie2011
AG
are there any work arounds for espn3 (if you dont have a proper cable)?
NewArmyReigns
quote:
I thought espn3 was watch espn now?

When I type espn3.com it takes me to watch espn

No. They are different.
NewArmyReigns
quote:
are there any work arounds for espn3 (if you dont have a proper cable)?

What do you mean a proper cable?
60Cal
AG
firstrow works. Always X-out of every add, even the ones that say you need such and such a program to run it. I watched several AG games via firstrow over the past couple of years. Picture quality is not always stellar. I would try the OP's option first, but then go to firstrow if no luck with OP's.
trueaggie2782
AG
Can I watch using my Apple TV or Xbox using this method?
NewArmyReigns
quote:
Can I watch using my Apple TV or Xbox using this method?

I don't know of a way to go through a proxy while using Xbox.

With Apple TV, can't your mirror computer screen to your TV? That's all you would be able to do. If not, just go buy a cable and run it from your computer to your TV.
Phat32
AG
For those on the iPhone, download Cloak to VPN outside of Texas.
Slother93
AG
quote:
His handle includes New Army and he is telling us all how to violate the Old Army lie, cheat and steal policy. So its likely legit.

Here is a legitimate question (as in I'm truly interested in an answer and not mocking you).

Suppose I don't have access to any of the PPV providers, and therefore couldn't buy the game even if I wanted to. Is it stealing to use a proxy server to see the game?
Velvet Jones
AG
Yes.
Frosty46
AG
How do you get to espn3.com and how do you know you are on espn 3 and not watch espn?

When i go to espn3.com it takes me to watch espn.

Sorry just a little confused on the difference here.

Also thanks for the information i plan on using it this weekend.
Slother93
AG
Who can I pay? There is no one offering it to me.
water turkey
You lost me at step 1
ReactionGlF
Yo ho diddly dee, it's a pirate's life for me!
wontastic
AG
Frosty, on espn3.com you can watch espn3 games with the correct login. You can also use it for watchESPN if you have that login as well. They seem to be using the same site for ESPN3 and WatchESPN. Our game is on ESPN3 and should be accessbile.
NewArmyReigns
quote:
quote:

Here is a legitimate question (as in I'm truly interested in an answer and not mocking you).

Suppose I don't have access to any of the PPV providers, and therefore couldn't buy the game even if I wanted to. Is it stealing to use a proxy server to see the game?

It's not stealing anyway because it's a bulls*** system to begin with. People outside of Texas can watch it for free. The fact that we live in Texas shouldn't make a difference. We pay our internet/cable providers fees for access to ESPN3, and they want us to pay $40 MORE to watch a game than somebody in one of the other 49 states? F*** that.
Dirk Diggler
Frosty46
AG
quote:
Frosty, on espn3.com you can watch espn3 games with the correct login. You can also use it for watchESPN if you have that login as well. They seem to be using the same site for ESPN3 and WatchESPN. Our game is on ESPN3 and should be accessbile.

espn3.com and watchespn.com currently take me to the same website where i can stream games or espn shows.

So on game day if i use this proxy and then go to watchespn.com or espn3.com and find our game on the espn3 channel, i should be fine?
Grosvenor
AG
meh, I'll pay $40 not to go through all that
NewArmyReigns
quote:
How do you get to espn3.com and how do you know you are on espn 3 and not watch espn?

When i go to espn3.com it takes me to watch espn.

Sorry just a little confused on the difference here.

Also thanks for the information i plan on using it this weekend.

They aren't the same thing. ESPN3 is where they put games that are not broadcast on a national ESPN channel So as long as it's not on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, or ESPNU, you can watch it online on ESPN3. Lots of cable providers have ESPN3 access.

But if the game is being broadcast on an ESPN national channel, you have to have WatchESPN to watch it online. WatchESPN basically allows anything on a national ESPN channel to also be watched online. Only 5 or 6 providers have WatchESPN.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.