Story Poster
Photo by Andrew Kilzer, TexAgs

Aggie Flashback with A&M President R. Bowen Loftin

August 27, 2013

Key quotes from Dr. R. Bowen Loftin interview:

"Life goes on... My change of direction has brought a lot of people to me expressing their appreciation and I thank them for that."

"I applied to school at three places, A&M, t.u., and Rice and they all said yes. t.u., was too crowded and Rice was too costly."

"We lost the first four games of my freshman year. After that, we went on to win every single game that season."

"You're an Aggie first. Gene Stallings and I sat in the Bryant box at 'Bama last year but still rooted for A&M."

"In '09 A&M wanted a recent version of my resume and I couldn't figure out why. Turns out the board was meeting the next morning."

"I knew being president was going to be a steep hill since people weren't happy at the time I was named interim president."

"My first couple of months consisted of listening to people vent for 16 hours a day about what was wrong with Texas A&M."

"I started hearing rumors in late '09 early '10 that we were going to be going to the PAC 10. I knew that couldn't be true."

"Bill Powers said he couldn't tell me what was going on but told me 'We'll take care of you'. in regards to moving conferences."

"Rumors were flying fast and furious and there was a lot going on around late '09 and early '10 with conference realignment."

"I told Bill Byrne to get me Slive's phone number and I gave him a call. Mike Slive was not stunned and knew why I was calling."

"In 2010, we had a divided Aggie Network. A lot of folks wanted to stay where we were. We were consistently behind the curve."

"I got the green light in July of 2011 to reopen talks with Slive and let him know we were ready to talk again."

"We had to keep things really tight and only a few of us knew exactly what was going on in 2011."

"We now found the right man in Kevin Sumlin. I loved Sherman, but it was clear at the end of '11 that it was time for him to go"

"Watching Sumlin work the box in Houston at the '11 bowl game confirmed everything I thought about him being the right guy."

"I asked Slive when this began to give us a signature game for our first in the SEC. We lost the game, but we won in terms of exposure."

"I can't say much about Johnny Manziel. We're just waiting right now to make the very best decision we can."
Discussion from...

President R. Bowen Loftin (exclusive)...

7,274 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Womackster
Gabe Bock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie Flashback with A&M President R. Bowen Loftin
89Ag4Ever
AG
Incredible interview! Great job guys!
Yoda
AG
We were very lucky to have him in place during this time in our history.
ham98
Stupid sips
redjalapeno-87
...right man, right place, at the right time, and made the right decisions.
FunkyTownFarmer12
AggieTFA06
AG
really great interview. enjoyed listening to it live on CW, but I'll probably listen to it again

To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
SirGIGalot
AG
Bill Powers......its okay I think we can handle it.

Arrogant dipsheet
tbirdspur2010
AG
Fantastic interview
powerbiscuit
Why is he stepping down? We need to keep him.

Great interview.
Womackster
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.