Story Poster
Photo by smu.edu
Texas A&M Football

Craig James shares take on Manziel case, A&M in '13, BCS contenders

August 26, 2013

Key quotes from Craig James interview: 

"The Aggies are the talk of the country, and it will be interesting to see how Johnny Manziel responds."

"I think Johnny Manziel will do what Cam Newton did and use football as a release point from all the accusations."

"Journalism to me is going out the window, period. Whether it's ESPN or anyone else. Right now, Manziel is innocent."

"Manziel will be great on the field this season. He'll build on his success from last year and understands his expectations."

"If A&M can get a few breaks over the season and Manziel stays healthy, the Ags will contend for the SEC Championship."

"Went back and watched the Bama-A&M game ... It's up to opposing D-Coordinators to have a sub package ready for fast offenses."

"I would hate to be a D-Coordinator facing A&M. The power and speed of the Aggie offense is what drives defenses crazy."

"A&M's question mark this season is the kicking game. You have to be able to hit extra points."

"The pieces are in play for A&M to go to the NC game this season. It's a matter of getting breaks to go your way."

"Georgia will be phenomenal on offense. The question will be the defense. I like SC and what Spurrier has done there as well."

"A&M's question mark this season is the kicking game. You have to be able to hit extra points."
"The pieces are in play for A&M to go to the NC game this season. It's a matter of getting breaks to go your way."

"Georgia will be phenomenal on offense. The question will be the defense. I like SC and what Spurrier has done there as well."

"People are sleeping on LSU this season. Ole Miss will be automatically better in their second year under Freeze as well."

"Everyone assumes Louisville will go undefeated, but at the end of the day, they don't play anything close to the SEC."

"If I had to pick a NC game right now I would go with Bama vs. OSU. Unfortunately we're still a year away from a final four."

"Mack Brown needs to have a good season at Texas for his sake. The Aggies are dominating the airwaves and newspapers."

"I'm impressed with Sumlin taking a young talent in Manziel last season and turning him into a great young football player."

Discussion from...

18,277 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Mordred
Gabe Bock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Womackster
stetson
AG
"Journalism to me is going out the window, period". Pot meet kettle. Wow.
agwin12
89Ag4Ever
AG
CJK5H@SMU
Dolphin Jumper
James commenting on poor journalism.....wow.
Tex_Ag2014
TexAgs finally did something dumb. Why the hell would you think ANYTHING that lying incompetent sack of crap said would matter? He was mediocre at best at SMU (where I heard he committed crimes against at-risk young ladies) and is an even worse sportscaster.

Why didn't you ask him about his failed Senate run? You know, the one where he was literally laughed off the ballot?

Maybe you could have asked him about how his POS son started the biggest scandal the Big 12 had seen in the decade in the firing of Mike Leach and the subsequent lawsuit which has been swept user the rug?

God I hate craig james with the power of a thousand suns.
BBDP
AG
quote:
He was mediocre at best at SMU

You have no clue what you are talking about on this point.... it puts the rest in doubt.

He had a 1,000 yards season in the nfl and was the running back on that Superbowl team.

[This message has been edited by BBDP (edited 8/26/2013 3:36p).]
Cannonball Craig III
AG

I thought it was a rather intelligent look at things.
boulderaggie
AG
I like Craig James but I consider him a commentator, not a journalist. I think the 2 are significantly different. That said, I have no idea if he considers himself a journalist, an entertainer, or simply employed by the sports industry.
Ags77
AG
LOL Stopped at "he was mediocre at SMU, at best." I take it you didn't have a TV in those years?
FrankWhite'56
AG
In my opinion, regardless of whether or not he considers himself a journalist this guy helped craft the blueprint of shady "journalism" that has defined ESPN for the last 6-8 years. They create their own sensational "news," then report on it until it is picked up by all the smaller entities that are afraid of being left out. See Mike Leach, Cam, JFF, etc. ESPN now excels at creating tons of smoke -- but never showing you the actual fire.
bemer
S
Timing could not have been worse bringing in James
Buck Nasty
AG
quote:
"Journalism to me is going out the window, period". Pot meet kettle. Wow.

/EOT
redjalapeno-87
thumb down

infinitiaggie
AG
re-post:TexAgs finally did something dumb. Why the hell would you think ANYTHING that lying incompetent sack of crap said would matter?DELETE(where I heard he committed crimes against at-risk young ladies) and is an even worse sportscaster.

Why didn't you ask him about his failed Senate run? You know, the one where he was literally laughed off the ballot?

Maybe you could have asked him about how his POS son started the biggest scandal the Big 12 had seen in the decade in the firing of Mike Leach and the subsequent lawsuit which has been swept user the rug?

THe rest of this is true....
Mateo84
AG
Odd choice
Dr. Mike 69
AG
"Former SMU and NFL star running back and former ESPN College Football analyst Craig James is now a national analyst for TexAgs.com."

I have to tell you that if this is true, I'm going to have to consider canceling my subscription to TexAgs.com I have very little respect for him or his son after the fabricated Mike Leach scandal. Why would we desire to listen to anything he has to offer? I don't care how good he was at SMU (a very corrupt program) or in the NFL. His reputation is enough for me to question why we would be associated with him at all. I'm very disappointed about this.
ham98
this is not going to be a popular hire
Pagoda
AG
Craig James as in this Craig James?

http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013/8/25/4656560/schads-sources-and-the-narrative-problem

oh my.
superbowlringd
I believe his daughter is still going to A&M
Aggie Daddy
AG
Tell me about German moons and Bomb Pops if needed, but did I miss something about TexAgs hiring Craig James?
Speculation or something really happening? Bad move if true.
tex 93
AG
"Journalism to me is going out the window, period. Whether it's ESPN or anyone else."

Considering the Mike Leach firing, James would certainly be an authority on journalism going out the window, wouldn't he?
secmaroonblood
AG
I literally just got on here to re-up my TexAgs subscription. I've been trying to justify if it was worth it or not. Thanks to the Craig James affiliation, you've made it easy. I'm out.
Gabe Bock
AG
It's an interview. Like it or not, Craig James has put a ton of skins on the walls and has a great perspective. If you don't like him, it's 15 minutes out of 15 hours per week. It's not like he's becoming my full-time co-host.
Gabe Bock
AG
Actually surprised you guys weren't happier about having someone on that has such a vast background with how both ESPN and the NCAA operate. How many people have a more intimate understanding of what Johnny is going through than Craig? And I didn't shy away from his TTU situation and neither did he.
Gabe Bock
AG
We don't expect everybody to like every segment. That is why there are 60 segments per week just on the show, not counting the massive amount of content on TexAgs Premium. It's like a grocery store...we want to present you with a lot of interesting options and let you consume what you want. If you don't like an interview, no worries. Just move on to the next one, such as President Loftin in-studio tomorrow or Rice HC David Bailiff LIVE on Wednesday.
X

X

texasbassag
Agree with the above. Craig James is a horrible choice. ESPN hack, complicit in the Leach character attacks. Poor call by the staff here especially given the timing with what ESPN has done with JF.

[This message has been edited by texasbassag (edited 8/26/2013 8:47p).]
Memphis 7
All will be forgiven if you get John daly on during the Arkansas week..
CoachAg85
Seriously? Spin it all you want.
CoachAg85
Seriously? Spin it all you want James and his ilk are in it for themselves.
tmaggies
AG
James is a punk!
Robbh
AG
quote:
How many people have a more intimate understanding of what Johnny is going through than Craig?

It's one thing to be on the receiving end of false accusations...

The GBH story told a side I'd never heard. I remember how much I ripped Leach for being a complete jackass...then it comes out his kid made it all up?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.