Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

G. Rollie Demolition

14,989 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by RodneyThomas08
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It would seem that this way is much cleaner. Plus its so close to Kyle Field that an implosion would probably be much more expensive.
TexMex Redass 03
AG
man... 99-04.. my g/f's and I would walk up to the second floor...

sneak into the womens restroom and get a quickie in before every home game i went to...

great memories of that place..
BillOnCapitolHill
quote:

sneak into the womens restroom and get a quickie in before every home game i went to...

Your gfs did that with me too. Great times
BillOnCapitolHill
quote:
Why don't they just implode the thing instead of tearing it apart piece by piece?

Too close to Kyle?
TexMex Redass 03
AG
quote:
quote:

Your gfs did that with me too. Great times

Ain't No Fun If The Homies Can't Have None
Tree Hugger
AG
cheaper to rip it down than to go through the process of engineering an implosion
Worm01
AG
Yeah, it's not a big enough facility to warrant the cost of an implosion versus just knocking it down with heavy equipment. Reunion Arena in Dallas was taken down the same way.
buzzardb267
AG
I sent AA an e-mail asking about souvenirs besides the scoreboard, signage, logos from the floor, and other stuff they have already sold. As with the last two e-mails I sent them, I never received a reply. I was asking on behalf of a friend who knows an old Ag that graduated from there and had two kids graduate from there. He just wanted some small momento. I think AA mentioned in some press release that they would try and sell bricks. I would buy one.
03_Aggie
Buzzard- what is your email address if you don't mind posting it?
joefix93
AG
quote:
Why don't they just implode the thing instead of tearing it apart piece by piece?

quote:
cheaper to rip it down than to go through the process of engineering an implosion

Actually, the thing was loaded with asbestos. They abated as much as they could find before they started tearing down the exterior walls, but odds are they'll find more as they continue to demolish - which they'll have to abate properly. It's not a "simple" project.
Lateralus Ag
AG

Pretty quick work for a day.....
buzzardb267
AG
nm

[This message has been edited by buzzardb267 (edited 8/19/2013 5:50p).]
03_Aggie
Got it
Towns03
AG
SOMEONE SAVE ME SOME BRICKS!!
TxAggieGal
AG
If someone finds a way to get bricks, please let us know. Definitely want some, if at all possible!
buzzardb267
AG
I saw where someone was offering $25 for someone to snag him one. I would be afraid mine would have some poor deceased Aggie's name on and be pried out of a memorial walk somewhere.
Tobias Funke
AG
Kyle is going to look so pretty without Rollie in front of it. Can't wait
diehard14
AG
quote:
Kyle is going to look so pretty without Rollie in front of it. Can't wait

Yep
TexAgBuilder
Its sad to see G. Rollie come down but as a construction management student I find the whole demo operation to be very interesting.
EllisCoAg
AG
Aaahhhh good times, remember the good times

45-70Ag
AG
Wasn't G. Rollie a wealthy rancher from west Texas?
CowtownAg80
AG
Damn it.
Killer-K 89
AG
Yes he was. And a great Aggie and a hell of a man too.
95_Aggie
AG
The Wall
bobbyb0322
http://www.usbiographies.org/texas/mcculloch/whitegrollie.html
rangelady
AG
G. Rollie White was from Brady, TX. G. Rollie White Downs hosted a heck of a horse race meet and the Labor Day Goat cook off in the 80's. Husband and I came to A&M from Montana in January 1982 for grad school. A friend of ours came at same time to manage a ranch outside of Brady....owners had MT and TX family. Anyway....we spent every holiday from Valentine's Day to Thanksgiving out there......friend got to stay in a grand old home in Brady the family owned.....the G. Rollie White House........we stayed there many times.....cooked my first Thanksgiving turkey there in the G. Rollie White kitchen!

Saw lots of good concerts: Red Skelton, Alabama, Buffet at G. Rollie. Would love to have a brick.
45-70Ag
AG
Thanks.

I just hope they take the palm trees too
45-70Ag
AG
Where is g. Rollie white dorm? Is it even still around? The article mentioned it, but I can't remember it being around.
buzzardb267
AG
And what about these guys? I remember an impromptu yell practice on the quad when this happened....

JustisWalkert
AG
quote:
Where is g. Rollie white dorm? Is it even still around? The article mentioned it, but I can't remember it being around.

I believe you're thinking of Byrd E White Hall, aka Dorm 10. Lived there for three years. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Byrd E was G Rollie's brother.
JustisWalkert
AG
quote:
Completion of 13 dormitories named for ROBERT W. BRIGGS ’17, CHARLES P. FOUNTAIN, CHARLES S. GAINER (1890), HENRY HILL HARRINGTON, JOSEPH CLIFTON HOTARD, EDWIN J. KIEST, WALTER G. LACY (1895), LOUIS LOWRY MCINNIS (1895), HENRY C. SCHUMACHER (1892), DAVID WENDELL SPENCE, JOSEPH UTAY ’08, BYRD E. WHITE AND GEORGE ROLLIE WHITE (1895) and the dining hall named for WILLIAM ADAM DUNCAN. Total cost $2,000,000. (The names of Schumacher, McInnis and G.R. White Halls were changed in 1969 to honor Medal of Honor winners TURNEY W. LEONARD ’42, WILLIAM GEORGE HARRELL ’43 AND ELI LAMAR WHITELEY ’41.) Dorms air-conditioned in 1968, $2,230,000. Bakery added to Dining Hall in 1978, $1,359,000. Dining Hall improvements, 1988, $4,105,760. Dormitory renovations, 1988-1990, $28,536,528. 1940 January 1. The Texas Aggie football team defeated Tulane 14-13 in the Sugar Bowl to win the national championship.

According to the Aggie Network website, there was a G Rollie White Hall constructed in 1939 in addition to Byrd E White. The name was changed to Eli Lamaar Whitley Hall in 1969.
45-70Ag
AG
Ok that makes sense, I think. I think I remember Whitley hall
JustisWalkert
AG
After further research, the original G Rollie White Hall, now Whitley Hall, is Dorm 9.
BillOnCapitolHill
End of Day 1:

deceptivespeed14
AG
I'm down to go walking through that place tonight or tomorrow night. The place was creepy enough at night before the demo.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.